The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have a rule question, here's the scenario....in ASA play in a slow pitch game, with a runner between 1st and 2nd headed back to 1st base and the throw going over the first baseman's head 'out of play' Isn't the runner awarded 2 bases started with the one they were going to which in this case was first, so that person gets to only advance to 2nd base. OR Is it 2 bases no matter which way they were headed, so they would get to go to 3rd regardless. I thought it was the first way but we had an ump last night give em 3rd. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA. The rule is 2 bases from the position of the runner at the time of the throw. The direction the runner is moving makes no difference. In your case, the award of 3rd base was correct.
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Haven't had an ASA rulebook in my hands for a few years...

I'm certain for FED and expect ASA is the same... two bases from the time of the throw... the runner had already acheived 1st so the award should be to 3rd.

However, I would prefer the way you are thinking about it... he's trying for 1st, so the runner gets 1st and 2nd.

I think 3rd is the proper rule tho...
Old Wed Sep 22, 2004, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

thanks, I guess I've been wrong all this time

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

USSSA would award runner 2nd.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

USSSA would award runner 2nd.

From having played both ASA and USSSA, I understand that at times USSSA has awarded bases the same as ASA on the play in question, sometimes differently.

How would USSSA rule on the following? Abel on 1B, Baker hits a long drive to right center. Abel rounds 2B and is on his way to 3B when F9 makes a diving catch near the fence. As Abel is approaching 3B, his coach yells to him that the ball has been caught. Abel starts back toward 2B, while F9 runs several steps toward 1B and releases his throw to F3 with Abel still between 2B and 3B. F9's throw sails into DBT.

Where would USSSA place Abel? Do they recognize directionality and give him only 1B? (Note that ASA awards home on that play.)

In a quasi-related situation, I remember that in a USSSA game in 1980, we had a runner on 2B with 1 out and our BR hit a grounder to F6. F6 faked our runner on 2B back toward the base and then threw the ball away at 1B. The ump, apparently with "1 plus 1" in mind, gave our runner on 2B only 3B because he was returning to 2B when the throw was made (and standing on 2B when the ball went into DBT). However, upon our request, the PU appealed to the BU, who sent our runner home. (I assume that every code, including USSSA, would award home on that play.)

(Incidentally, applying crystal clear logic, the coach of the other team then said, "OK, ump. You overruled in their favor. Next time you gotta overrule in our favor.")
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what u-trip would rule, but being crazy I bet its award 3B but with a retouch of 1st required should an appeal happen.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

greymule, on your scenario of Baker & Abel...."Note that ASA awards home on that play." Even though Abel hadn't tagged up yet, ASA says he still gets home?, does he have to go back to 1B first or as soon as the ball goes into DBT can he go home?

Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

The runner is AWARDED home. But he still must fulfill his baserunning responsibilities by touching all bases in the right order, or be subject to appeal.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure what u-trip would rule, but being crazy I bet its award 3B but with a retouch of 1st required should an appeal happen.

Hmmm. That would mean that if the runner is between 1B and 2B and is returning to retouch 1B when the ball is thrown away, he would be awarded 2B, but if he is between 2B and 3B and is returning to retouch 1B, he would be awarded 3B. Strange.