The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This may call for an "up to the ump" response but is there an OFFICIAL way to appeal an obvious bad call? Is it just to ask the other ump in a two ump format or to request an appeal from the ump that made the rather unusual call to begin with? Just a ponder.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

#1 There is no Appeal for Judgement Calls

#2 Always go to the official that made the call and calmly explain what your question is, pulled foot, dropped ball, juggled ball, missed base, others or an explanation of rule interpertation.

Should the official find reason to confer with their partner, thy will and let you know the decision.

No Partner should ever overrule their partner, let the umpire that made the call give the decision after the conference. I repeat JUDGEMENT in not appealable.

This may not be what you are looking for but this is the way it is and look for other umpoires to add to my brief answer.

The Bagman
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Great answer Bagman. That is how umpire conferences are suppose to work, no players or coaches invited. Then the umpire who made the original call makes the final decision from the umpire conference. I agree with you.
Old Thu Sep 02, 2004, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bagman62
[B
#2 Always go to the official that made the call and calmly explain what your question is, pulled foot, dropped ball, juggled ball, missed base, others or an explanation of rule interpertation.

Should the official find reason to confer with their partner, thy will and let you know the decision.

No Partner should ever overrule their partner, let the umpire that made the call give the decision after the conference. I repeat JUDGEMENT in not appealable.

This may not be what you are looking for but this is the way it is and look for other umpoires to add to my brief answer. [/B]
If you watched final game of the Litte League WS this exact situation happened in the last inning. Possible pulled foot at 1B. BU made correct call (no pulled foot). US coach came out raising his voice to PU to rule on pulled foot. Coach never once asked BU about his call. US Coach simply wanted the PU to either over rule or up hold the BU's call. PU held his ground and told coach to play on. PU did a great job of not interfering with his partners call. Now if US coach had gone to BU first maybe he would have asked the PU for help or maybe not. Coaches (especially at that level) should know how to correctly approach umpires if they are looking to get a second opinion.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtwsd

If you watched final game of the Litte League WS this exact situation happened in the last inning. Possible pulled foot at 1B. BU made correct call (no pulled foot).
Don't hey have six umpires for those games? What was the 1B ump doing that he would be out of position to see a pulled foot?
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

you can be in perfect position and still have a bad angle for the pulled foot, especially if the fielder has to stretch directly towards you to catch the ball.
Old Fri Sep 03, 2004, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 3afan
you can be in perfect position and still have a bad angle for the pulled foot, especially if the fielder has to stretch directly towards you to catch the ball.
That is exactly how the LL call went also. The first baseman was stretching directly towards the base umpire. The U.S. coach just went to the wrong umpire to argue! The first base umpire might have asked for help if questioned, but he never was. The replay showed the call to be a good one.
Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Quote:
Originally posted by 3afan
That is exactly how the LL call went also. The first baseman was stretching directly towards the base umpire. The U.S. coach just went to the wrong umpire to argue! The first base umpire might have asked for help if questioned, but he never was. The replay showed the call to be a good one.
I didn't see this game, but if the coach went to the PU, the PU should have directed the coach to U2, not just blow him off.

Old Sat Sep 04, 2004, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Mike's right, he could have said, "not my call coach, please see the 1st base umpire."
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 07:26am
goldcoastump

I might even say "coach you are talking to the wrong umpire." I agree that the coaches in higher level ball should know how to question a call but thats assuming a lot.
Old Fri Sep 10, 2004, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

I had this situation in an ASA state tourney this year. Large F3 stretching toward me, I saw her foot pointing down and from my angle it appeared to be touching, so I call the out. 3rd base coach starts asking plate ump about call, I stand about at 1st base, PU says that is his call so 3rd base coach looks at me, "Can you ask for help her foot was above the bag" So then I went and met with the PU he told me it was up so I reversed the call. It worked smooth, except for def coach who was not happy!! F3 looks at me after he walks off the field and says "that was a good call I pulled my foot." It was kind of funny!!