The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Every time I think I've seen every variation of OBS, I see something new.

Bad blood between these teams (goes back many years).

Last night, runner coming home, F2 stands 5 feet up the 3B line to field the throw from F7. Runner could have gone around (delaying his attempt to score), but instead he slowed down, lowered his body, and continued rather softly into F2 just before the ball arrived.

I know that different umps view "crash" differently, but there wasn't remotely enough force for this contact to qualify. Couldn't have caused a bruise.

The ball skipped away and the runner scored.

Naturally, the defense wanted something called against the runner.

But I let it go and told F2 he couldn't block the runner's path without the ball. Told the defense that the contact did not qualify as an unsportsmanlike crash.

What do you think?
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
... Runner could have gone around (delaying his attempt to score), but instead he slowed down, lowered his body, and continued rather softly into F2 just before the ball arrived.
...there wasn't remotely enough force for this contact to qualify (as a crash). Couldn't have caused a bruise.

The ball skipped away and the runner scored.

Naturally, the defense wanted something called against the runner.

...Told the defense that the contact did not qualify as an unsportsmanlike crash.

What do you think?
Definitely a Had To Be There situation.

Obstruction? Yes, but it didn't affect the runner scoring.

Intentional interference? Sounds like it. Would he have been out? Sounds like not. However there was no reason to make contact. I would fault the runner more than the defender. Did other runners advance because of the contact and missed catch?

HTBT but I might be really tempted to call the runner out. To do nothing, lets the level of contention and aggravation between these two teams increase. Making a bold call will stop it. Anything further during the game might warrant an ejection. I think making the bold "OUT" call for unsportsmanlike contact - not a crash maybe, but unnecessary contact, would save you some future headache.

How did the rest of the game go? Given that you didn't mention anything else, I assume smoothly. Perhaps you did just right then.

[Edited by DownTownTonyBrown on Aug 19th, 2004 at 12:31 PM]
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

The game had gone smoothly (except for warnings for trash talk) until that inning (bottom of 6th). Home team had scored 8 runs in the bottom of the 5th to go ahead 14-5, visitors scored 2 in the top of the 6th. So the run on the OBS play made it 15-7, and the home team added 1 more that inning.

The play at home immediately followed a safe call on the same runner at 2B on a close play. The defense acted as if they had been robbed, but one of their own guys told me after the game that he thought I got it right.

I agree that an out call would have placated the defense and not made any difference in the final outcome. However, I would still want to make sure that it was the right call.

V- 3 0 0 0 2 2 1 = 8
H- 4 1 0 1 8 2 x = 16

It's this kind of "exactly-what-is-it?" call—a call that isn't clear cut either way—that causes me the problems. Oh well, I'll soon have these two teams again in the league playoffs. This is a 40+ league, and some of these guys have been at each other's throats since they were kids.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Situations are brewing as we speak!

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
...It's this kind of "exactly-what-is-it?" call—a call that isn't clear cut either way—that causes me the problems. Oh well, I'll soon have these two teams again in the league playoffs. This is a 40+ league, and some of these guys have been at each other's throats since they were kids.
Sorry, when I read the part about them being middle-aged gentlemen, I had to immediately laugh. You are in trouble. These are exactly the idiots that would blow up on a silly non-event. And what makes it worse is that they are at the age where they don't feel a strong need to respect anybody ... especially an umpire.

Yeah, a nice recreational league.

Hopefully you will have a strong partner and make your rulings with confidence. Good luck!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:58am
Ref Ump Welsch

40+ league? Did you smell alcohol on their breaths? Man, I tell ya. Those leagues can be a pain in your ***!
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

middle-aged gentlemen

Well, middle-aged anyway. You're too kind, DownTown.

I'm reminded of a sentence from a police report I used as an example in a writing class I taught for law enforcement years ago:

"We observed the gentleman lying in the gutter outside the bar."

The officers were careful not be sexist, though. In another report:

"The first lady came at me with a broken beer bottle. The second lady hit me from behind with a chair."

Did you smell alcohol on their breaths?

It was an 8 o'clock game, which gave them time to down some brewskies beforehand.