The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 10, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I have two questions both deal with base mechanics in a two man system, both when you are behind the SS.
#1) R1 on 2nd hit to ss, how do you get inside the diamond to make that call at 1st? R1 is leading off, waiting to break to 3rd with the throw to 1st, ss is fielding the ball right next to you. I feel trapped and a lot of times end up making the call from only a couple of steps infront of or even with the base line. Is there something else I can do to get better position? I have never run infront of a runner that could advance does anyone recommend doing this? As that was another thought I had to run infront of them while they are holding and then move accross after the throw to get as good of an angle as possible at first.
#2) R1 on 2nd, R2 on 3rd 2 outs. Ball hit to ss who is playing up so I run in (as soon as speedy R1 passes me) ASSuming the throw to 1st for the 3rd out. YEP, you guessed it she went to 3rd where now I had to slam on the brakes (and a vehicle my size don't stop quick) and back pedal (as ss is where I would like to go) to get a look at 3rd, luckily R1 was quick so the play wasn't close and I could see it fine but if it would have been close I had TERRIBLE positioning to see a bang-bang play. SO, how do you position your self when there are 3 possible plays? On a play like that I guess I have assumed I'm going to first and headed into the diamond behind the pitcher's circle and then turned aroudn for a play at 2nd, or run parallel to 3rd if needed, but the SS was in the way on this play and it made me wonder if there was a better mechanic in this situation.
Old Tue Aug 10, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Dave,

In the Netherlands I mostly work in a 2-man system (ISF/ESF, simmilar to ASA). I have some answers...
#1) I've learned to do it the same way as you, so it might be considdered the right way. It is indeed a horrible situation, but I was told that there's no alternative...
#2) In a situation with runners on 2nd and 3rth, I'm never in a position behind F6. In not even between those bases. I'm standing behind the line 1st-2nd, between 2nd base and F4. From here you have a good angle on run-down on 1st base and you have propper sight on an "early steel"...

Alex
Old Tue Aug 10, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

With Runner on 2B and a ball hit to SS, we have to read the play first. Where is F6 going with the ball? What is R1 doing from 2B?

Personally, and we had a 1 hour discussion on this at the national I just worked, I take both calls at first and third in that situation. I feel that if I move with R1 on lead off (step or two..."honor thy runners as if thy runners are about to steal")we can still get a good angle to 1B on the throw and be in good position to catch the throw-back to 3B for attempted tag play. Just MHO.

As to the other situation, that's why my theory works. Wait to see where the play will develop...probably a throw to 1B, but not always, as you found out. Think one place (likely throw to first) but be ready for anything.