The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

I had a situation last night in a men's slow pitch rec. league that I have never seen before.
Batter hits a flyball to center that hits the ground. Runner, seeing that the center fielder isn't rushing to the ball, goes to second still carrying the bat. A sweep tag is attempted and missed, runner continues to third, still carrying the bat. Shortstop throws the ball, hits the runner in the back of the head, ball ends up in left field. Runner finally notices he still has the bat and drops it in foul territory between third a home ( by the way, his head was all right). My question, is there a rule out there saying you cannot carry the bat? and if so, where is it?
The bat was carried in a non threatening manner and did not interfere with the plays in any way.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by blue2u
... snip .. ( by the way, his head was all right)... snip ...
Are you sure?

No rule about bat carrying that I know of, but the defense will always think so.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe the hands were part of that bat, and he couldn't get them off his arms.

No rule I am aware of would prohibit carrying it.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

ASA does not prohibit merely carrying the bat around the bases. Of course, if the bat interferes with the play . . .

In NSA, if the BR touches 1B while carrying the bat, he is out.
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Can I add A "what if" .... What if on the throw to 3rd the ball hit the bat ?
Old Fri Jul 23, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

INTERFERENCE.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Jul 24, 2004, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bethsdad
Speaking ASA.

It's nothing, unless it was intentional.
Old Sat Jul 24, 2004, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Call a foul ball and see what people do

Better yet call him for hitting the ball while out of the batters box!
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Speaking ASA.

Rule 8, Section 5, G, Exception 3 (p. 112, 2004) If the ball becomes blocked due to offensive equipment not involved in the game, the ball is ruled dead and runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the blocked ball. If the blocked ball prevented the defense from making an out, the runner being played on is out.

True, ASA does not prohibit the batter-runner from carrying the bat, but running at 3B, the bat still in the batter-runner's hands would constitute equipment no longer involved in the game since its three bases after the time that the B-R used the bat to hit the ball. It's only involved in the game and the play at 3B because the B-R is holding it, and he has no business carrying it around the bases. Since the B-R is responsible for the bat interfering with the play at 3B while it's in his hands (as opposed to leaving the bat on the ground back at home and the defense throwing a ball that hits it lying on the ground), I'd call a blocked ball and call the B-R out if the bat prevented the defense from making an out.

Even if it was unintentional, that should have no bearing. Just like if the bat was in the on deck batter's hands.
Old Sun Jul 25, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefoot
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Speaking ASA.

Rule 8, Section 5, G, Exception 3 (p. 112, 2004) If the ball becomes blocked due to offensive equipment not involved in the game, the ball is ruled dead and runners are returned to the last base touched at the time of the blocked ball. If the blocked ball prevented the defense from making an out, the runner being played on is out.

True, ASA does not prohibit the batter-runner from carrying the bat, but running at 3B, the bat still in the batter-runner's hands would constitute equipment no longer involved in the game since its three bases after the time that the B-R used the bat to hit the ball. It's only involved in the game and the play at 3B because the B-R is holding it, and he has no business carrying it around the bases. Since the B-R is responsible for the bat interfering with the play at 3B while it's in his hands (as opposed to leaving the bat on the ground back at home and the defense throwing a ball that hits it lying on the ground), I'd call a blocked ball and call the B-R out if the bat prevented the defense from making an out.

Even if it was unintentional, that should have no bearing. Just like if the bat was in the on deck batter's hands.
Nope, not going to buy into this. The difference between the two are that the bat the runner is carrying WAS being used as part of the game and maintains the same status as a discarded bat. If it weren't for the bat in the runner's hand, that ball would never have been put into play.

If the defense cannot execute the play properly, tough.

Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 12:31pm
Ref Ump Welsch

FYI, USSSA has the same rule as NSA. If batter-runner reaches first with the bat in his/her hand, he/she is out automatically as if he/she had been played on at first. Play continues for everyone else.
Old Mon Jul 26, 2004, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
FYI, USSSA has the same rule as NSA. If batter-runner reaches first with the bat in his/her hand, he/she is out automatically as if he/she had been played on at first. Play continues for everyone else.
I would have no problem if ASA changed it.

I can only guess that they believe allowing the batter to leave the area with the bat is safer then having the BR just let it go in mid-follow through.

As far as I'm concerned, the farther they take that bat away from me and the catcher, the better.

Old Tue Jul 27, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Then USSSA must have changed their rule this year cause they can carry their bat as far as I know .
Old Tue Jul 27, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

USSSA has a rule change for 2004.
R8 Baserunning
4. A BATTER-BASE RUNNER IS OUT under the following circumstances.
G. When, after hitting a fair ball, and while the ball is still live, the Batter-runner carries the bat and touches first base or runs beyond first base while carrying the bat.

http://www.usssa.com/usssa/usssa-gen...1204.htm#rule8
Old Tue Jul 27, 2004, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Five
USSSA has a rule change for 2004.
R8 Baserunning
4. A BATTER-BASE RUNNER IS OUT under the following circumstances.
G. When, after hitting a fair ball, and while the ball is still live, the Batter-runner carries the bat and touches first base or runs beyond first base while carrying the bat.
I wonder what problem they were trying to solve with this change.