The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   You make the call..... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/14717-you-make-call.html)

heyblue Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:04pm

Here's something that happened tonight and I would like your thoughts:

Mens Fastpitch...ASA rules.

First batter bottom of the 5th inning (not that it has any bearing on the play, just setting up the situation). Batter hits a line drive to center field. F8 mis-judges the ball and it gets past him. When he reaches the ball, he picks it up and tosses it over the centerfield fence. When he tossed the ball over the fence, BR was between first and second. What do you do with the runner??

WestMichBlue Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:11pm

Ball thrown out of play, dead ball, runner awarded two bases from last base achieved at time of throw. Send batter to 3B.

WMB

Steve M Fri Jul 23, 2004 06:20am

Yup, send B-R to 3B.

FUBLUE Fri Jul 23, 2004 07:22am

I agree with everyone.

Also, compliment F8 on using the rules to his advantage, even though it's not a very sporting thing to do.

CecilOne Fri Jul 23, 2004 04:32pm

Or maybe compliment the BR on being so intimidating.

But is it the time of the throw as in an overthrow or the time it goes dead as in getting away from a fielder or being intentionally "carried" into dead ball territory.

This would really matter if the batter almost made 2nd and you didn't see it dead until after he reached. ;)

Dakota Fri Jul 23, 2004 04:39pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CecilOne
Or maybe compliment the BR on being so intimidating.

But is it the time of the throw as in an overthrow or the time it goes dead as in getting away from a fielder or being intentionally "carried" into dead ball territory.

This would really matter if the batter almost made 2nd and you didn't see it dead until after he reached. ;)

For an intentional throw into DBT, it is the time the ball enters DBT.

I was thinking the same thing as you, Cecil... if the runner was close to 2nd, somehow by the time I looked "quickly" back to check the position of the runners, darn it if she didn't make second! :D

IRISHMAFIA Sat Jul 24, 2004 08:42am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota

Speaking ASA 8.5.J (Intentionally carrying, kicking, pushing throwing into DBT)

"EFFECT: The ball is dead. Each runner is awarded two bases fro the last base touched at the time the fielder entered or the ball WAS KICKED, PUSHED OR THROWN into dead ball territory."

Not entered.

Now, here is a bit of relief and contradiction for I & J.

EFFECT - Section 5.I-L. The ball is dead and the umpire should award the runners the bases in his judgment they would have reached.

FUBLUE Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:

Speaking ASA 8.5.J (Intentionally carrying, kicking, pushing throwing into DBT)

"EFFECT: The ball is dead. Each runner is awarded two bases fro the last base touched at the time the fielder entered or the ball WAS KICKED, PUSHED OR THROWN into dead ball territory."

Not entered.

Now, here is a bit of relief and contradiction for I & J.

EFFECT - Section 5.I-L. The ball is dead and the umpire should award the runners the bases in his judgment they would have reached.

Now we compliment the umpire on knowing and applying the rule that benefits the OFFENDED team the most! NICE! ;)

Dakota Sun Jul 25, 2004 05:08pm

Quote:

...or the ball WAS KICKED, PUSHED OR THROWN into dead ball territory."

Not entered.

Rule 8-5G uses the phrase "when the ball left the fielder's hand" - commonly called "time of throw."

Rule 8-5J says "at the time the fielder entered {for a carry} or the ball was kicked {etc.} into dead ball territory."

I have always understood the difference here to be between when the ball left the fielder's hand (8-5G) and when the ball entered DBT (8-5J). "thrown into" means the same thing as "entered because it was thrown." Doesn't it?

The EFFECT you quote is a typo, I suspect. If you look at the 2003 book, the effect only applies to paragraphs L amd M, which were renumbered K and L for 2004. I suspect they meant to say K-L for the effect, not I-L.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jul 25, 2004 07:29pm

Quote:

Quote:

...or the ball WAS KICKED, PUSHED OR THROWN into dead ball territory."

Not entered.

Rule 8-5G uses the phrase "when the ball left the fielder's hand" - commonly called "time of throw."

Actually, if you check, I believe there are TWO 8.5.G paragraphs in the 2004 book
Quote:

Rule 8-5J says "at the time the fielder entered {for a carry} or the ball was kicked {etc.} into dead ball territory."

I have always understood the difference here to be between when the ball left the fielder's hand (8-5G) and when the ball entered DBT (8-5J). "thrown into" means the same thing as "entered because it was thrown." Doesn't it?

The EFFECT you quote is a typo, I suspect. If you look at the 2003 book, the effect only applies to paragraphs L amd M, which were renumbered K and L for 2004. I suspect they meant to say K-L for the effect, not I-L.
I have already made a note to offer legislation to make a correction to the rule.

BillyBobs Thu Aug 05, 2004 08:47pm

I agree with IrishMafia above, but here goes... just for the fun.

How about "making a travesty of the game"... this oughta get a few fun comments.

Skahtboi Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by BillyBobs
How about "making a travesty of the game"... this oughta get a few fun comments.
Doesn't really apply here, since there is already a rule to cover this situation. So, there really isn't much to make a comment on!