The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New Rules I learned (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/14666-new-rules-i-learned.html)

scottk_61 Mon Jul 19, 2004 03:07pm

This past week I worked a tournament (ASA-FP) that was long and hot and humid.
The highlights were the new rules and mechanics I learned not from coaches but from my fellow blues..........

Hang on to your hat everybody because you are going to be so glad to learn them.

1. The ball is dead whenever it gets back to the circle after a play. Not after every pitch, just after it has been hit or thrown on an attempt to pick off a runner.

2. The infield fly signal to your partner is left hand to right chest, and a "pumped out" with the right hand.
I sure wish the dumb scorekeeper working the board would learn that one because they kept putting outs up there and my partner had to keep explaining it to them.

3. You "HAVE TO" make a safe signal whenever there is a dropped 3K, when you are behind the plate. However there is no need to make any indication that there has been a strike called.

4. Teams are not allowed to huddle around the pitcher when she is warming up even if it takes less than a minute.

5. Teams are not allowed to cheer too loudly.

6. Teams are not allowed to stand up in the bench area during play even though they are behind fencing.....I don't know what you do if it is an open dugout.

7. All first calls on plays are the base umpires responsibilty, caught fly, force out, tag out etc.

8. All second calls are teh plater umpire's, even if you have a double play that completely happens in front of you.

9. A single runner is taken only to second base by the BU and the plate takes 3rd and home.......

10. On a coach assisting a runner, the runner is out the palyer is ejected as is the coach. Doesn't NSA do something this stupid?

11. When a player is discovered using an illegal bat, they are not out, not ejected or anything. It is a mulligan, a do over. (Tournament director did this one after a protest)

12. Read #11 first, that after invoking rule mentioned above, all subsequent games will have the player and coach ejected for an illegal bat.

I am so glad that after 25 years, numerous National Schools and Clinics, the ISF school and other training sessions.......
THAT SOMEONE FINALLY DECIDED TO TEACH ME!!!!!

Jeez, I needed a good stiff drink after working with some of thses people.

Remind me to never work for this tournament director agian, will you?

Elaine "Lady Blue" Mon Jul 19, 2004 03:32pm

What sanction was this???? I don't think I could have complied very long, Scott. Got your email, see you in Marietta!!!

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/joker.gif

azbigdawg Tue Jul 20, 2004 01:52am

????? WHERE was this....and who is the UIC that needs to go back to square one?

buddha69 Tue Jul 20, 2004 07:21am

Where was this tournament at?

kellerumps Tue Jul 20, 2004 07:52am

<b>Jeez, I needed a good stiff drink after working with some of thses people.</b>

Sounds like you were in the Twilight Zone. The heck with <B>A</b> good stiff drink.....Give me the whole D$#@ bottle. :)

FUBLUE Tue Jul 20, 2004 08:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by kellerumps
<b>Jeez, I needed a good stiff drink after working with some of thses people.</b>

Sounds like you were in the Twilight Zone. The heck with <B>A</b> good stiff drink.....Give me the whole D$#@ bottle. :)

Newburgh? Right Kellerumps?

Bandit Tue Jul 20, 2004 08:31am

Now, Now...

Now, Now,.....FUBLUE...Be Nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kono Tue Jul 20, 2004 09:06am

#5 is always true if I have a headache :D

Skahtboi Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:59am

Really valuable information here. Thanks for sharing....:D

kellerumps Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:52pm

FU....I didn't say I was in the Twilight Zone....but I could have been I suppose. After watching everything, you could not have paid me enough to UIC that group. Yes my beverage of choice was flowing, much to the dismay of the UIC(Who was pissed because she couldn't have any then!!!! :) )

ChampaignBlue Tue Jul 20, 2004 01:52pm

They missed at least one.

During a seniors tourny I learned that the plate umpire isn't allowed to make a throwback to 1st call on a hard liner to 2nd and no, the umps aren't allowed to discuss those situations and how to handle them prior to the game. It's in the rules, that's why he's called the base umpire.