The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

This is maybe a rules question but also a question how it is dealt with in reality - contests under FED, ASA and NCAA are of interest, but others welcome.
We had a long meeting in the beginning of the season in Germany to discuss jewellery and other issues and decided that we want to have the jewellery removed - not just taped.
Than a colleague recognized in different NCAA games this year (Div I - Div III) that there nobody cared about players wearing jewellery!

How do you handle that issue? If you differentiate, on what basis?

Thanks for your input.

Raoul
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

In NCAA games, many thanks to a rule change, all responsibility for jewelry belongs to the coach, not to the umpires.

In Fed, remove all jewelry. Tape covering jewelry is not good enough.

In ASA, I don't generally work the younger levels. I do not get concerned about jewelry unless I see a hoop or something along those lines.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

at the J.O. Level, we remove it all.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 06:29am
Official Forum Member

I love the coaches responsibility idea !. I do strict ASA games where none is allowed, Then I have a ton of Rec level games. With the advent of tongue rings, etc what do we enforce? External jewelry, stud ear rings OK, loop earings NO. Then we have face piercings to address. Why does it seem that the NCAA games on TV dont seem to have any tolerance on this issue..it seems there the answer is NONE.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 06:59am
Official Forum Member

In Rec and ASA if we see it it goes or the player is not allowed to play. In Fed, NONE, including taped is allowed. I support leave it up to coaches and no liability for umpires!

The Bagman
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

As already stated, Fed and NCAA are specific. ASA however leaves it up to Umpire's judgement. Up to 16U, if they weren't born with it, I make them remove it. Above that, (16U) I will tell the coach I don't like it, wear at your risk.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Some people don't get this so I just wanted to make this note:

NCAA - Most players are legal adults and are responsible (okay, SUPPOSED to be responsible) for their own actions and options.

NFHS - Students, many minors, playing on the school district's clock and dime. This make the school liable for the welfare of the student during this period.

ASA - Purely volunteer playing on their own time and dime. It is the umpire's discretion and to be honest, unless it is a piece which can cause injury to another participant, I really don't care. I know, the attitude is a bit callous. However, it is time the umpire is not the one to be signaled out as a designated babysitter, only to be maligned should a player sustain an injury brought on by the oversight or ignorance of a player, their coach and/or parents.

JMHO,
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Around here they say cover stud earrings and that cloth jewelry is alright. The coaches do a good job taking care of it, but one game earlier this year a girl was wearing 4 necklaces and they all had sharp rock/teeth of some kind on them... I made her take them of.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I was working a 14U ASA state this weekend and it wsa funny to see some umpires reactions to different jewerly. I was BU when a girl stole 2nd I called time to dust off base, she was adjusting helmet and brushing off (I didn't really notice as my big butt was bent over sweeping) so I finish and get to my spot my PU calls (VERY LOUDLY) "time I have a team warning on XXXXXX for jewerly the girl on 2nd has a braclet." Come to find out it was a "jelly" ring that had gotten knocked out of her hair on the slide and she put it on her wrist instead of taking time to refix her hair standing on 2nd. I know I have asked about this before but I still don't think those little cheap junk things would cause an injury. I know in ASA it is UJ as to what has to be removed. I had another game where I noticed a SS with a string braclet around her wrist. IMO it was not dangerous, but during an OC at the plate I walked up to her and told her that some umpires might make her take that off as they could think it was dangerous and it would give them a team warning and anyone else found with jewerly on would be restriced to the bench for the rest of the game. She asked if that was a team warning, I said no, I don't think it's dangerous I just wanted you to know some others might. She said thanks. The next 1/2 inning it was gone! What a deal!
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveASA/FED
I was working a 14U ASA state ... "time I have a team warning on XXXXXX for jewerly the girl on 2nd has a braclet." ... it would give them a team warning and anyone else found with jewerly on would be restriced to the bench for the rest of the game.
ASA State - presumably ASA Championship Play. So, my question is, where is the authority in the rule book for either a team warning for jewelry or for restricting a player to the bench?

Now, I realize just about anything can result in a "warning" but the expressed penalty for wearing jewelry that is, ITUJ, dangerous is that player may not play until the jewelry is removed. I would think that in championship play, following the book would be a good idea.
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

your right he quoted the high school rule, ASA is different. Good thing it didn't happen twice!
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

ASA AA. I am only concerned with jewelry that can injure another or cause excessive bleeding. I make them take out hoops that I can see because all I need is a play at the plate and a player gets his ear ripped off because his hoop got caught in the catchers glove. He'll undoubtably bleed all over the place. Have you ever tried to get blood out of those synthetic pullovers?
Old Mon Jul 12, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
ASA AA. I am only concerned with jewelry that can injure another or cause excessive bleeding. I make them take out hoops that I can see because all I need is a play at the plate and a player gets his ear ripped off because his hoop got caught in the catchers glove. He'll undoubtably bleed all over the place. Have you ever tried to get blood out of those synthetic pullovers?
If you had this problem, you were too close to the play

Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

"If you had this problem, you were too close to the play"

C'mon Mike, we're talkin' tag play at the plate! I see the call and then I'm closing in with the big overhand, sell the call, sweeping you're out and up squirts the blood.
Old Tue Jul 13, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChampaignBlue
"If you had this problem, you were too close to the play"

C'mon Mike, we're talkin' tag play at the plate! I see the call and then I'm closing in with the big overhand, sell the call, sweeping you're out and up squirts the blood.
When it comes to blood, you'll be lucky to find me within 100 feet of anything.