The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   What they want called, and what is called (Strike Zone again!) (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/14251-what-they-want-called-what-called-strike-zone-again.html)

FUBLUE Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:11pm

A while ago we had an excellent discussion on strike zones, what is a strike, what isn't, what to call, etc. Since then, I've been consciously trying to pull my zone up to the top of the knee (unless I'm doing, 10U rec ball, then anything goes :) ).

This weekend I called an excellent tournament with some really good teams. Had a pitcher with a good drop ball, but IMHO, the ball was coming in below the knee and dropping...most of the time. Catcher was crowding the batter (way up on the plate) and most of the time the glove was on the ground when she caught it.

Away Team wins 1-0, really good game. She still had like a 2 or 3 hitter, but "because of me" she had 3 or 4 walks.

Away Coach after the game (very professionally) asks me where the pitches are. I explained, that IMO, the ball was coming in under the knee, then dropping. He said it was hitting the knee then dropping. I asked where it hit the knee. He said it was crossing the batters knees. I explained that we are supposed to call pitches where they cross the plate, not the batter, in relationship to the batters knees.

Upon reflection after the game, I remember fans from both teams saying, "he's just not giving her the low pitch." Felt pretty good about it. Also heard Home Coach say, "he's not giving her the drop ball; stay off it until she brings it up."

So obviously, both coaches and parents were expecting me to call the pitch a strike. No really complaining from either side, just made me think:

WOULD IT HAVE JUST BEEN EASIER TO CALL THE PITCH A STRIKE AND GO ON WITH THE GAME? Since everyone except me (and my partner) thought it could have been a strike, should we just call it a strike? Or does it pose a greater question: where are the umpires that give her that pitch as a strike? Obviously, someone, somewhere is giving that pitch as a strike, or she wouldn't throw it constantly.

I will give coach credit...he kept throwing it...and I'll give myself credit...I never called it a strike. Coach said I was consistent, but he thought it was a strike.

TexBlue Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:31pm

Shucks, we all know all our strike zones are a little different from everyone elses. And ours will change some, from game to game. I realized the other night that I wasn't giving the outside corner. It was too late then, you can't change your strike zone in a game. The thing to strive for is CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY, CONSISTENCY!!!! If the coaches are saying you aren't giving a certain pitch, don't change, keep it the same way. It's not a majority vote, it's only your opinion that's gonna get into the scorebook.If you change the strike zone in the late innings, you are placing a team at a disadvantage. They have by now learned (or should have) what your zone is. They are counting on you to stay the same. If you start calling a pitch that has been a ball all night a strike, you are hurting the offensive team. Once you set a strike zone, good or bad, keep it. You're the same for both teams, they shouldn't complain.

Too much.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally posted by FUBLUE

Away Coach after the game (very professionally) asks me where the pitches are. I explained, that IMO, the ball was coming in under the knee, then dropping. He said it was hitting the knee then dropping. I asked where it hit the knee. He said it was crossing the batters knees. I explained that we are supposed to call pitches where they cross the plate, not the batter, in relationship to the batters knees.

Upon reflection after the game, I remember fans from both teams saying, "he's just not giving her the low pitch." Felt pretty good about it. Also heard Home Coach say, "he's not giving her the drop ball; stay off it until she brings it up."

So obviously, both coaches and parents were expecting me to call the pitch a strike. No really complaining from either side, just made me think:

WOULD IT HAVE JUST BEEN EASIER TO CALL THE PITCH A STRIKE AND GO ON WITH THE GAME? Since everyone except me (and my partner) thought it could have been a strike, should we just call it a strike? Or does it pose a greater question: where are the umpires that give her that pitch as a strike? Obviously, someone, somewhere is giving that pitch as a strike, or she wouldn't throw it constantly.

I will give coach credit...he kept throwing it...and I'll give myself credit...I never called it a strike. Coach said I was consistent, but he thought it was a strike.

Maybe you should have just reminded the coach that a pitch at the knee is outside of the strike zone.

chuck chopper Mon Jun 21, 2004 06:40am

Since that earlier conversation, I too have brought my strike zone up so the entire ball has to be above the knee. Honestly however, If its little girls..Im using the whole knee.

FUBLUE Mon Jun 21, 2004 06:47am

Quote:

Originally posted by chuck chopper
Since that earlier conversation, I too have brought my strike zone up so the entire ball has to be above the knee. Honestly however, If its little girls..Im using the whole knee.
I'd agree, but this was 16U Travel Ball, good stuff, several college coaches there scouting, especially at this game.

On that note, if she's low at 40 feet, what's going to happen at 43 feet in a couple of years?

You know sometimes when you ask your partner their opinion, they just say you did a great job. My partner on that game had the plate next time we were together...he too made the ball get above the knee. So I know he wasn't just giving me BS.

kellerumps Mon Jun 21, 2004 02:36pm

A couple of years ago, I was working the plate at Michigan University. Michigan pitchers throw drops, I kept balling them in the 1st 2 innings. The Michigan coach then asks "Are you going to keep balling those pitches?" "Yes I am.". Nothing else was said.

Next inning the pitch came up about 1 ball and it was now dropping for strikes. The guide I use is top of ball to top of knee.

Andy Mon Jun 21, 2004 09:39pm

When will pitchers and coaches learn that they need to adjust to our strike zones, instead of expecting us to adjust to theirs?

shipwreck Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:47pm

And PLEASE don't forget. As per the Women's College World Series. There are three strike zones. 1. The batter's 2. The pitcher's 3. The umpire's. Just ask the announcers, they will tell you. Dave

Dakota Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally posted by shipwreck
And PLEASE don't forget. As per the Women's College World Series. There are three strike zones. 1. The batter's 2. The pitcher's 3. The umpire's. Just ask the announcers, they will tell you. Dave
I wonder which one counts? http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung...smiley-124.gif

aceholleran Sun May 11, 2008 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by FUBLUE
Away Coach after the game (very professionally) asks me where the pitches are.

A coach has to search for me far and wide after a game, particuarly if s/he wants to discuss the strike zone.
Quote:

Upon reflection after the game, I remember fans from both teams saying, "he's just not giving her the low pitch."
I'm not trying to be flip here, but how on earth does any comment from fans, players or coaches really matter? YOU are the only one calling balls and strikes, nyet?

Quote:

WOULD IT HAVE JUST BEEN EASIER TO CALL THE PITCH A STRIKE AND GO ON WITH THE GAME? Since everyone except me (and my partner) thought it could have been a strike, should we just call it a strike?
Only if you thought it was a strike.
Quote:

Obviously, someone, somewhere is giving that pitch as a strike, or she wouldn't throw it constantly.
None of this matters; you are not umping those games.

IMHO, establish your zone (the only one that counts), watch your timing, and effort to keep that zone there as best you can, given pitchers' talent levels.

What coaches, fans, players or the funnel-cake lady say mean zilch.

Ace in CT

Skahtboi Sun May 11, 2008 11:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aceholleran
I'm not trying to be flip here, but how on earth does any comment from fans, players or coaches really matter?

You must be bored today Ace. Bringing up four year old business like we were discussing it yesterday. :D

And, uh, did you mean "flippant" for the highlighted word above?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun May 11, 2008 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellerumps
A couple of years ago, I was working the plate at Michigan University. Michigan pitchers throw drops, I kept balling them in the 1st 2 innings. The Michigan coach then asks "Are you going to keep balling those pitches?" "Yes I am.". Nothing else was said.

Next inning the pitch came up about 1 ball and it was now dropping for strikes. The guide I use is top of ball to top of knee.

I am a fan of The Ohio State University, and Rut from the Basketball Forum never comes the the Softball Forum but I must defend his honor. I would like to know where Michigan University is loacated. I know where the University of Michigan is but I have never heard of Michigan University.

MTD, Sr.

NCASAUmp Sun May 11, 2008 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
I am a fan of The Ohio State University, and Rut from the Basketball Forum never comes the the Softball Forum but I must defend his honor. I would like to know where Michigan University is loacated. I know where the University of Michigan is but I have never heard of Michigan University.

MTD, Sr.

Who cares about anyone other than the Wisconsin Badgers? :cool:

wadeintothem Sun May 11, 2008 12:54pm

edited: never mind.. this is a thread from the dead..

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sun May 11, 2008 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Who cares about anyone other than the Wisconsin Badgers? :cool:

Point well taken but Rut and I know that the "real" game in not the OSU-UM game it is the Youngstown State University Penquins vs. the Western Illinois Leathernecks game.

MTD, Sr.