The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Slow Pitch, Fast Pitch, Baseball...they are all the same... (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/14143-slow-pitch-fast-pitch-baseball-they-all-same.html)

Bandit Mon Jun 14, 2004 01:36pm

It not to often that umpires can prove a coach so incredible wrong and get a serious laugh out of it but it happened to me this past week-end. And even after throwing the coach a life preserver he still insisted on drowning. 16 & Under fast pitch. Umpire is calling time for the batters before her hands seperate. But with the pitching motion this particular girl uses her arms are actually moving. I saw the call and it was totally legal and the batters were in no way trying to confuse or interupt the pitcher. The pitcher took the ENTIRE 20 seconds (plus some if anyone was actually counting, truth be told)and the batters simply were asking for time. The umpire was a good one and certainly wasn't letting anybody get an advantage. But after the game the coach who is furious about the timeouts is in the tournament directors tent just absolutly chewing on the director (I was in the tent and out of uniform) and also reading from the rule book about how the pitch starts with any movement or motion of the pitcher. Well the director asks me to please look at the rule. I simply said I'd be happy to do that if the coach would please turn the rule book page to fast pitch pitching rules instead reading from the slow pitch section. OH OH look of disbelief at this point. After swallowing hard, the coach says at this point it doesn't matter weather it's slowpitch, fast pitch or even baseball all the pitching rules are the same. And one more thing Mr Tournament director their pitcher was never "presenting" the ball. (I'm still looking for that in the book) Well after him allowing me to show him the difference between slow pitch and fast pitch he stomped out of the tent. This was the same coach I found out that had proclaimed about a 1/2 hour earlier that ASA had a runner sliding rule. Never did get to see the rule book that said that.

kellerumps Mon Jun 14, 2004 02:50pm

I guess this was the weekend for ignorant coaches to flourish. Ms. Kellerump had a coach jumping up and down while screaming over and over again"That's a Balk, That's a Balk, That's a Balk......".

Well it had been a long day due to rain and the wife yanked off her mask, walked toward the coach and said "Theres no balks in softball. Now get in your box and keep quiet!!!".

Next pitch she starts her motion and it was illegal because the pitcher, for some unknown reason, forgot to release the ball(16-U 'A'). The opposing coach then yells ...."Now that was an ILLEGAL PITCH".

I'm told told the whole scene was really funny. For the rest of the game, that coach remained in the dugout and avoided my wife.

Later in the tournament, this same coach told another umpire he didn't want Ms. Kellerump to work anymore of his games....Why you ask?.....Beacause "She was mean and didn't like him!!!!".

TexBlue Mon Jun 14, 2004 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Bandit
...... And one more thing Mr Tournament director their pitcher was never "presenting" the ball. (I'm still looking for that in the book) .......
I've had that claim twice this year. The first time, I just explained there was no rule in the book for that, it was just a term used in SP. The other time, I called an IP on a pitcher. The asst coach comes out and tells me that as long as she presents the ball, she can step anywhere she wants to. I explained to him that there is no such rule, he can trust me on this one. Then he made a fatal error. He told me if (another umpire who is know as the rule meister of softbll) was here, he'd straighten me out quick and I needed to learn the rules. Now, he just blew it. For one, he just threw another umpire up in my face, one who isn't even on my field with me. Also, as an aside, it is really debatable if Dan knows the rules better, or me, or if it's a tie. I'm going for the tie. Second, he just told me to learn the rules. After about 3 seconds of silence according to others, (I personally thought it was a full minute) I let him know he need never bring up another umpire on my field again, and he needed to drop the presenting thing, unless he wanted to protest. The head coach stepped in and said he'd handle it. I've known this guy for about 3 years and he knows me. He did. My partner told my my face mask was up on my shoulder, which for some reason, it always appears there before something really ugly happens to coaches. Don't know why, it just does. I don't plan it, don't even know it's there. But the head coach saw it and stepped in and saved his asst coach.

Presenting the ball? Gimme a break!

Bandit Mon Jun 14, 2004 04:16pm

Mean...NO WAY !!!

"She was mean and didn't like him!!!!".

I happen to know MS Kellerumps and I hardly think that describes her ! Now her husband is a different story !

Bandit Mon Jun 14, 2004 04:18pm

And another thing......

She's better looking than Mr. too !!!!!!!!!

Steve M Mon Jun 14, 2004 07:00pm

Re: And another thing......

Quote:

Originally posted by Bandit
She's better looking than Mr. too !!!!!!!!!
I haven't had the pleasure of meeting or working with either Mr or Mrs Kellerumps - but I sure hope she's better looking than he.

T-storms coming thru, so time to shut things down.