The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Michelle Smith explaining (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/13901-michelle-smith-explaining.html)

Skahtboi Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:12am

Even more frustrating with this particular call of obstruction at home was the announcer's comment to the effect that, "the umpire should quit taking the game away from the girls and let them decide the outcome." Its ashame that they didn't realize that the catcher, by blocking home without the ball, decided that particular outcome at that moment. The announcers went on to say, "the catcher blocked the base perfectly, just like they are all coached to do," as though that made it all okay again!

I guess we should all know that if its coached, then it is certainly okay to do! :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
While I stated that she had the ball, quite honestly, without looking at a replay, I'm not sure that she had it at that he point. But the catcher was using her right leg to push the runner away from the plate, as she was on the ground behind the plate, trying to reach it.

If the call was on "first contact with the catcher's left leg," why didn't he immediately signal with his arm?

I thought he signaled it when necessary
Quote:

Is it the correct mechanic to wait to see if a runner will safely get to the base/plate before signaling obstruction?
Not really, but you are working the NCAA Championship game and I have no doubt that the umpires are instructed to not "over officiate". IOW, don't make unnecessary calls if there is no affect on the game. I'm not talking about ignoring rules, just not be redundant.

This is exactly what happened with a previous play when the Cal runner was obstructed at the plate. She ran through and touched the plate with no further play by the catcher, so there was no reason to make the call.

Quote:

Finally, you're saying that a defender who has the ball and isn't able to yet make a tag, can push the runner away from the base/plate until such time as she's able to make the tag? I can understand blocking but actually pushing is legal?
Yes, sir. The runner owns the field and only one person can take that away and that is a defender with the ball.

Had a defender up the 1B line trying to outrun a player attempting to score. The defender had the ball and slid between a sliding runner and the plate. He then proceeded to tag the runner. There is no rule against impeding a runner if you have possession of the ball.

BktBallRef Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:34pm

Thanks Mike.

greymule Tue Jun 01, 2004 01:42pm

<b>I have the game on mute now.</b>

I've been doing that routinely for 25 years. I listen to my stereo while I watch games.

Skahtboi Tue Jun 01, 2004 04:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
I've been doing that routinely for 25 years. I listen to my stereo while I watch games.
What??? And miss all the fun of the broadcast sports version of the three stooges?

CecilOne Tue Jun 01, 2004 05:10pm

The saddest part is that there are some UMPIRES who also make it up as they go along.