The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Question

Does anyony know how to get a writen interpitation about a rule for High School? The Question is, is it legal or illegal to have a rubber cap on the knob of a bat in a high school game. If it discovered and the defence tells the umpire, should the batter be out and the runners return to original bases? Is this interpited as an altered bat?
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 07:30am
In Memoriam

Look at:

http://asasoftball.com/about/certified_equipment.asp
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

"Does anyony know how to get a writen interpitation about a rule for High School?"

Do not try the NFHS; they do not respond to individuals. They want you to contact your state high school athletic association. Go on line and find their website.

"The Question is, is it legal or illegal to have a rubber cap on the knob of a bat in a high school game"

Technically, a knob itself is not illegal. But its effect may well be. If the knob smooths out the difference (in diameter) between the knob and the grip, it is illegal. A one piece knob and grip is illegal.

The bat knob is there for safety purposes. Anything you do to reduce the effectiveness of the knob to prevent the bat from slipping from the hands is going to be illegal.

Is the knob cemented on? If so, and it increases the difference between the knob and the grip, then I would suggest that bat meets the spirit of the rules and I would allow it.

Otherwise, it is an "altered bat," which is an illegal bat, and the batter is called out. (And an umpire is probably guilty of failing to do the pre-game bat check!)

WMB
Old Sun May 23, 2004, 01:19pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
"Does anyony know how to get a writen interpitation about a rule for High School?"

Do not try the NFHS; they do not respond to individuals. They want you to contact your state high school athletic association. Go on line and find their website.

"The Question is, is it legal or illegal to have a rubber cap on the knob of a bat in a high school game"

Technically, a knob itself is not illegal. But its effect may well be. If the knob smooths out the difference (in diameter) between the knob and the grip, it is illegal. A one piece knob and grip is illegal.

The bat knob is there for safety purposes. Anything you do to reduce the effectiveness of the knob to prevent the bat from slipping from the hands is going to be illegal.

Is the knob cemented on? If so, and it increases the difference between the knob and the grip, then I would suggest that bat meets the spirit of the rules and I would allow it.

Otherwise, it is an "altered bat," which is an illegal bat, and the batter is called out. (And an umpire is probably guilty of failing to do the pre-game bat check!)

WMB

Regarding contacting the NFHS directly. Two years ago I contacted the NFHS Softball Rules Editor by email and requested a rules interpretation and I received one in return via email. While the NFHS states that it wants sports officials to contact their StateHSAA Interpreter, I have never had the NFHS fail to respond with an interpretation when I have requested one.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I have gone directly twice, and was told to go elsewhere.
Went to TASO (Texas Association of Sports Officials) and
got the answer. Actually, I went directly to Walter Sparks.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.