The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Runner at 3rd. I'm in the C position. With each pitch the runner takes her lead and the F5 trots over and stands directly in front of the bag with both feet blocking the base. Each time catcher looks runner back and fielder walks back to her position. I tell myself that if this catcher ever throws down to third I've got obstruction. Next pitch same thing happens and catcher does indeed fire to third base where F5 is standing with both feet in front of the bag. I put out the left arm and turn to see what happens. Runner does not attempt to go back to third but instead heads home and is involved in a rundown, being easily tagged out a few feet from home. I call dead ball, runner was obstructed on initial throw to third and is put back on third. Many people happy. Many people not.

The real question: did it make any difference that the runner did not attempt to return to third in my calling of obstruction? When I signaled I assumed she would be diving back. She didn't.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA:

we'll wait for the masters to respond... but if the runner never attempted to return to 3rd - I dont see how that was obstruction. If she had returned to third (or attempted) and f5 didnt have the ball - its a clear call.

Once F5 had the ball.. she could legally be there in front of the base - there would be no obstruction.

There would be obstruction if F5 standing there before she had the ball is what caused her to go home I suppose.

Like I said, we'll await others.. sounds HTBT but I'm thinking maybe not so good a call.

I love being wrong though (happens often) - so we shall see.
Old Sat May 08, 2004, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

F5's being in front of 3B is not ipso facto obstruction. If the runner was trying to get back to 3B and had to slow down or go around because F5 was in her way, then you have OBS.

If the runner takes off for home on the throw, as you say she did, no OBS.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
F5's being in front of 3B is not ipso facto obstruction. If the runner was trying to get back to 3B and had to slow down or go around because F5 was in her way, then you have OBS.

If the runner takes off for home on the throw, as you say she did, no OBS.
Yep, and I believe that would be true in all codes. Obstruction is not the blocking of the base, base line or base path. It is the impediment of the runner without the ball (or about to receiving the ball in some instances). If the runner was not impeded, there is no obstruction.

Of course, if the runner just looked back to 3B to see the player in their path, that probably would have been enough for me. However, if there was no doubt the runner was going home on the throw, she obviously wasn't obstructed going back to 3B on the initial throw.
Old Sun May 09, 2004, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Good points. Up to the moment the catcher threw the ball back to third the one thing I knew was that I had a runner with a lead and a fielder in front of the bag. Did the runner check back to see third was being blocked? I don't know. My eye was on the catcher with the ball. It certainly would have been clearer if I would have seen. I gave the benefit of the doubt to the runner because of the previous circumstances.

By the way, this was a lower level 13-18 rec league game. Catcher threw a lolipop throw to F5 and it took a while to get there.