The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Have you ever admitted to blowing a call (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/13441-have-you-ever-admitted-blowing-call.html)

BBallCoach Thu Apr 29, 2004 08:47pm

Tex Blue's post about how he kicked the call in the tournament game had me thinking. How many of you when you have kicked a call, have had the guts and professionalism to admit it to a coach or a player if you are questioned about it. Thought this topic would lead to a lot of great discussion on this board. Since we as humans are not always right. I'm sure a few of you have missed some calls. Look forward to hearing your response

MichaelVA2000 Thu Apr 29, 2004 09:19pm

While BU in the B positon I had a play where R1 went from first to 2nd base on a steal. When the catcher threw to 2nd base, F6 took the throw and as the ball beat the runner to the base and just when the tag was to be applied ....F4 moved over in front of the bag blocking my view. Even with the lean and look I never saw a tag applied.

Conversation with coach:

Coach:

C'Mon blue, what game are you watching, didn't you see the ball beat the runner to second?

Myself:

Sure did coach, it was a great throw and had your second baseman not blocked my view I probably would have seen the tag. Never saw a tag, no choice but to call F1 safe. I never guess an out.

Was the runner out....probably.

Michael

whiskers_ump Thu Apr 29, 2004 09:36pm

BBallcoach

While we are on this subject, we would like to hear some
of the boo boos you as a coach have made. They make
interesting reading also.

FUBLUE Thu Apr 29, 2004 09:42pm

Hey, we're human...we do occasionally miss a call...much like a coach might forget to try a bunt in a bunt situation or not take the pitcher out of a game when she's given up multiple hits in the late innings of a really good game. Or my favorite, pitching to the girl who already has 2 homerun off your pitcher when you have a two run lead, 2 outs and an open base. But I'll give you one, and even give you coaches response.

0-2 count on batter, runners on second and third, two outs. Pitch comes in at knee on outside corner. I call it a ball. Catcher (who knows me from summer ball) asks where it was...I said it was a strike, didnt' know why I called it a ball. She said, "no big deal, we still have three more pitches." Cool...pitcher throws three straight dirt-balls. Softball gods looking down on us though, as next batter grounds softly back to F1.

Coach asked me why I said I missed it, and I tell him it's the truth. Wants to blame me for giving up six runs in the next inning. It's my fault. Actually told me to say it was low or outside or something besides I made a mistake.

I wanted to ask the coach several questions, like:

1. Why did you pull your outfield in with a two run lead and a power hitter up?

2. Why didn't you stop throwing that high inside pitch when you know I'm not calling it?

3. Why did you not bunt your speedster around when you had a runner on first with no outs (resulted in DP)?

4. Why did you keep the outfielder that dropped 3 balls in the game?

5. Why did you try to straight steal on an All-State Catcher?

6. Why was your runner picked off of first base with two outs?

But I didn't because it wouldn't be profesional! (But I guess for him, blaming me for their loss and throwing the scorebook in the dugout was professional)

[Edited by FUBLUE on Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:52 PM]

TexBlue Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:20pm

Tex Blue's post about how he kicked the call in the tournament game had me thinking. How many of you when you have kicked a call, have had the guts and professionalism to admit it to a coach or a player if you are questioned about it. Thought this topic would lead to a lot of great discussion on this board. Since we as humans are not always right. I'm sure a few of you have missed some calls. Look forward to hearing your response
__________________________________________________ _________

You just looking for more fodder or what? How 'bout ya lead it off and tell us when you lost count on batters, call the wrong play, trie to manipulate the wrong rule, called the wrong pitch to the wrong batter. Or is it a one way street here?

[Edited by TexBlue on Apr 29th, 2004 at 11:24 PM]

wadeintothem Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:21am

I Worked a game weds - I was alone.

12U rec, I know the coaches fairly well.

R1 on 2B 1 Out. Offense is winning 10-2 or somewhere around there.. 6th inning. Line drive to 6 and it's caught.. but R1 is already hauling *** to 3rd base .. instead of tagging the runner.. throws to 2B meanwhile R1 is standing on 3rd.

From the corner of my Eye I see the 3B coach frantic... and even as I replay it in my mind right now.. I see him put his hands on the runner to get her to go back to 2B.

Throw to 2B goes into never never land and I ring up the runner for the coaches interference.

I know the coach.. he wouldnt lie and by the reaction from the crowd I know my call is wrong. Ugh. I still think I saw it.. but he swore he didnt touch the runner. I have to believe that I misinterpretted his frantic arm motions for touching the runner. Besides the coaches box is not legal distance from 3B... its about 2 1/2 feet.

It didnt affect the outcome of the game.. since his team was slaughtering the other team... but I went to him after the game and talked about it and apologized for "probably blowing the call". He was very accomodating to the call at the time of the call and after the game.. but I wonder if he might have changed if the call was important to the outcome :)

Anyway.. I dont usually dwell on a close call I may or may not have blown, I just make call the best call I can.. it's tough to work alone and see everything. but that particular call has bugged me since weds since its such an unusual call that i'm sure the fans (many of whom know me and didnt hear the convo with the coach) think I pulled it outta my but and invented it.

So.. yep I have admitted it to a coach and apologized as well.

Oh well.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 30th, 2004 at 01:31 AM]

Dakota Fri Apr 30, 2004 07:50am

Wade,

It wasn't a serious question. It was trolling. Trying to start something.

JEL Fri Apr 30, 2004 08:16am

I'll bite,

No never blown one,

I was a coach before a blue.

chuck chopper Fri Apr 30, 2004 08:49am

While doing a baseball game, I had a pitcher balk by attempting a pick off at an unoccupied base. I did not call the balk. I was 18 years old, and man this coach got all over me. He was right, and when I saw he again later in the season I told him he was right, and I was a better Umpire for him geting on my case about it.

Skahtboi Fri Apr 30, 2004 09:39am

Quote:

Originally posted by JEL
I was a coach before a blue.
Isn't it great being perfect??? :D