The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Situation:
12U girls playing NFHS rules at first game of season and medium to low skill level. BR hits grounder to F6. The throw is over thrown to 1B. Runner on the way to second. Here comes the throw from F3 to 2B to try and get the runner. The throw beats the runner (barely) and fielder bobbles the catch as the runner does not slide and the girls meet each other standing up.
As PU I clearly see that the actions of the runner impacted the fielder's ability to catch the ball, but no call from BU. I did not have a clear view if runner touched fielder as trying to catch the ball.

a) If no contact between fielder and runner, then I agree nothing to call.
b) If runner makes any sort of contact with hands or upper body (even an ever so slightly bump) as the throw is trying to be caught, then I can see interference.
c) If there is no chance to get the runner out, does this matter in making the call

Am I thinking of this in the right way?
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 10:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
Situation:
12U girls playing NFHS rules at first game of season and medium to low skill level. BR hits grounder to F6. The throw is over thrown to 1B. Runner on the way to second. Here comes the throw from F3 to 2B to try and get the runner. The throw beats the runner (barely) and fielder bobbles the catch as the runner does not slide and the girls meet each other standing up.
As PU I clearly see that the actions of the runner impacted the fielder's ability to catch the ball, but no call from BU. I did not have a clear view if runner touched fielder as trying to catch the ball.

a) If no contact between fielder and runner, then I agree nothing to call.
b) If runner makes any sort of contact with hands or upper body (even an ever so slightly bump) as the throw is trying to be caught, then I can see interference.
c) If there is no chance to get the runner out, does this matter in making the call

Am I thinking of this in the right way?
rafking,
The runner did not know where the ball was, and we cannot expect, or require, a runner to slide without seeing the ball. No call unless you see something intentional.
mick
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Fed says (8.6.14) "The runner does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of the fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her", then the call is interference.

It does not mention intentional.

I would say contact from the runner to a fielder attempting to catch a thrown ball is illegal contact. A slide would have avoided the contact. Runner has to have some responsibility no matter 'where the ball was'.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rafking
Fed says (8.6.14) "The runner does not legally slide and causes illegal contact and/or illegally alters the actions of the fielder in the immediate act of making a play on her", then the call is interference.

It does not mention intentional.

I would say contact from the runner to a fielder attempting to catch a thrown ball is illegal contact. A slide would have avoided the contact. Runner has to have some responsibility no matter 'where the ball was'.
This is referring to an illegal slide versus a legal one. For more clarification, look on page 26 and read the definition of slide.

You cannot require a runner to slide under any circumstances.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I see your logic, but IMO there are two different things. Making a play on her is one thing, fielder has ball trying to tag runner IMO is making a play on her. And also IMO illegal contact is more than a brush, it is contact that is above and beyond nudging. But in your case IMO the fielder was not trying to make a play on the runner, she was trying to catch a ball, and then make a play on the runner. I see it as two seperate acts. Maybe I am wrong but that is how I see it. Also, books are in car, but I remember some wording that for interference to be called that the runner must intentional interfere with a thrown ball.
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

"This is referring to an illegal slide versus a legal one."

No, this is referring to legal contact vs illegal contact. If there is going to be contact with a fielder in the act of making a play on the runner, then that contact must be legal contact. The only legal contact is that contact created by a legal slide.

No, the runner does not have to slide. But - if there is contact she can be called for interference UNLESS she executes a legal slide.

(The above discussion does not consider accidental contact, or a "wreck.")

WMB