The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

We had a discussion a few months ago about implied times out; ie., brushing plate, checking for count. My assumption is that we wait for all play to cease before taking either of these actions.

My question is "do you have an implied TO when you go to partner on a checked swing?"

Let's assume R1 comes way off 2B on the pitch. Batter tries to hold up and PU calls BALL. F2 asks PU to check with BU. While everyone is looking to PU for his call, R1 breaks for 3B and beats the throw from a surprised F2.

Legal?

WMB
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
My first reaction to the question was yes, an implied timeout and the "umpire tending to duties" would seem to support this. But, the runner should have the right to take advantage of a "lead" and the inattentive defense. So it is a question, but I would go with my initial implied timeout thought and return the runner, as the advantage was not really the defense but the need for the umpire to resolve a call.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 05:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'll just say what I do.. say active plays go on.. scoring etc.. when the ball is in the pitchers circle, all play has ceased : and I have stuff to do - usually clean plate, get back behind the plate, put mask back, I yell time... and take care of my business. I dont imply it, i yell it and signal it.

For your situation.. I don't know... I havent had that happen so I will await to learn .. but Ive never worked with a crew so....
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
We had a discussion a few months ago about implied times out; ie., brushing plate, checking for count. My assumption is that we wait for all play to cease before taking either of these actions.

My question is "do you have an implied TO when you go to partner on a checked swing?"

Let's assume R1 comes way off 2B on the pitch. Batter tries to hold up and PU calls BALL. F2 asks PU to check with BU. While everyone is looking to PU for his call, R1 breaks for 3B and beats the throw from a surprised F2.

Legal?

WMB
WMB,

Since the desired procedure to ask for help is "removing your
mask, step out from behind the catcher and seek the help required",
I got time. Just like cleaning off HP. When you go back behind the
plate with mask on, and have the attention of the pitcher give the
count to reinforce the call.

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Apr 18th, 2004 at 08:47 PM]
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Just my two cents - In slow pitch on every pitch that is not hit you have and implied timeout.

In FP the only timeout is when you announce TIME after playing actions have ceased. Then you check with your partner.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodchuck
Just my two cents - In slow pitch on every pitch that is not hit you have and implied timeout.
Not any more.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

Legal?

WMB
Speaking ASA, I don't think there is nothing "implied" about it. ASA 10.8.B, E & H covers it. Just because the umpire doesn't raise both hands and pronounce "TIME" doesn't mean they cannot suspend play when necessary.

If the runner is moving prior to the PU asking for help, s/he should be aware of the situation, let the play finish and then ask for help on the swing. If the runner is moving on the pitch, the BU is going to be just a bit busy with the runner as it is if they are doing their job.

Once the umpire steps out from behind the plate, no action is possible other than the request and response.

Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Mike sorry. I don't do ASA anymore and forgot that you can now steal in slow pitch.

What is your thoughts on the question concerning fastpitch?
Is there and implied timeout when you still have a runner off base at second and the ball is not in the circle for the look back rule to be infect.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Woodchuck,

Not Mike, but my thoughts on this:

Is there an implied timeout when you still have a runner off base at second
and the ball is not in the circle for the look back rule to be infect.

No, the runner must be allowed to do whatever it is she has set in her mind.
Usually F2 is still holding the ball when asking for an appeal on a check
swing. However, IMHO, if the runner is standing on base and I have been
asked to check with my partner, then when I remove my mask and go to him/her,
I have time. Since I will move forward a few feet, mask in hand, I am
having a discussion with a partner. No play would be allowed.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, Mike said the same thing in his original post. I
just re-read it.

Sorry.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

So it sounds like everybody is in agreement - implied time out. It's easy to say this with the keyboard, but I don't believe you do it in the real world.

We have a runner standing halv way to 3B; F2 is holding the ball and asking you to "appeal." But you are doing nothing, because you can not call time, implied or real, until the play is finished. Suddenly there is silence; nobody is moving; its like suspended in time in some old movie.

But in the real world this happens fast. Catcher asks; Blue points; partner responds. I've never seen un umpire stop and look around, and refuse to ask until the runner went back to the base.

Even though this normally happens quickly, there is a pause while everyone is waiting for the final answer. So I am curious of what you would do if the runner, who is legally off the base, caught the defense by suprise by running to 3B.

Now what?

WMB
Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

If the runner isn't moving, there is no play if it is obvious the catcher isn't throwing the ball anywhere.

The umpire may suspend play at anytime they believe it necessary (ASA 10.8.A), so there is no excuse to let yourself get into a quandry over something like this.

Old Sun Apr 18, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm watching this thread working my way through it for the day it happens.
Allow me to ramble...

Calls (strike ball) are mostly done during live ball situations.. there is no requirement to wait for ball or strike call prior to an offensive action.

The result of that appeal does not affect the steal, i.e. the steal could have been done whether the call was a strike or a ball.

It would seem to me this is simply an error by the defense.

In the case where it is not an error by the defense..say the ump feels the ball was dead he can correct it easy enough... put the player back to the base if appropriate. Until then, the defense and offense should behave as if a ball game was underway.

Sounds to me like this is on the defense.. and nice try at taking a legal steal away from the offense.. next time someones stealing a base during live ball, worry about that and not the ball strike call.. that can be handled any time before the next pitch.

Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

One out. R3, R2. 3-2 on the batter. Runners off with the pitch. Checked swing, ball gets past F2, bounces away. "TIME! Did she go?" "No." "Ball four, take your base." R3 and R2 had crossed the plate while the defense was chasing down the ball. You've called time. Runners may not advance on a dead ball, unless forced or bases are awarded. How do you explain to the offensive coach that R3 and R2 must return to their bases?
Old Mon Apr 19, 2004, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

The PU should not honor the appeal while continuous action is ongoing. If the defense wants to pause and wait for the umpire (who is waiting for the action to stop), that is their choice, but it is a dangerous one.

Otherwise, once the PU steps out, takes off his mask, etc., it could be considered an implied time out. No formal TIME is required.