The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   check with partner (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/13244-check-partner.html)

CecilOne Fri Apr 16, 2004 07:28pm

"Coach, if I am asked to check with partner about a call which I am not absolutely sure about, I will ask my partner for his view. If I believe my partner had a better look and convinces me the call was wrong, I will change my call."

That's my view and I had to say it to a coach. I know some of you don't agree so please tell me why. Please don't just say "a call is a call, never change a judgement call".

Steve M Fri Apr 16, 2004 07:55pm

Cecil,
I kinda agree with your post. If a coach has a very specific squaek - and only if a coach has a very specific squawk, I'll check with my partner - regardless of what sanctioning body that I am working under. The checking with my partner will consist of a prvate talk that may consist of "Don't say anything. F*** this clown, the call stands and this is just for appearances sake" to "Did you see a pulled foot..."

DownTownTonyBrown Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:05pm

Don't make and then change your call.

Check to see if help is available FIRST. Was your partner watching the play?

If yes, your partner may have had a view, and you are unsure, ask for his help SECOND.

THIRD and finally make your call. Avoid CHANGING your calls.

All of that can happen in less than a second.

If help was not available, make your call and stick with it - it's the best you're going to get.

That's my opinion.

TexBlue Sat Apr 17, 2004 03:23pm

I have never had a problem checking with my partner, if I'm not sure of something, like a pulled foot or bobble ball, etc. To me, it's a lot more important to get the call right, than to worry about changing my call. I don't change a terrible lot of them, but I don't mind doing it if my partner saw something I didn't. Now, I absolutely will not go to my partner, if the ooach is a nuisance with the appeals. I personally think it's good for the game and the atmosphere on the field if the coaches know I'm open minded and confident enough to go to my partner and ask for help on a call. Most of the time, even, if I don't change my call, I get a " Thanks, Blue " just for going to talk it over.

And, yeah there have been a lot of those " Where we going to eat tonight?" conversations also.

whiskers_ump Sat Apr 17, 2004 05:16pm

Rick wrote:

<B>And, yeah there have been a lot of those " Where we going to eat tonight?" conversations also.</B>

"I will bet that there have been more, who's buying the first round."

[Edited by whiskers_ump on Apr 18th, 2004 at 08:44 AM]

FUBLUE Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:59pm

I agree with the man from Texas...get the call right. I'll always ask my partner, in fact, depending on a situation, I'll ask the coach if he wants me to ask for help.

Here's one from today...I'm working the plate, we have a batter crowding the plate, high-inside pitch. I track the ball all the way to the bat handle, right on the knob. To me, the ball never hit the batter in the hands. In fact, girl just stands there, and only goes to first after coach calls her. I stopped her about three steps into her jog and said it was a foul ball. First base coach insists it hit her in the hands (and the fans sitting behind first base dugout 20 feet in the air saw it clearly too). I say to him, "would you like me to ask my partner what he saw?" He looks at me, so I repeat it. I heard his head rattle so I asked. My partner gives me this reply:

"Now, I saw the ball go towards the handle area and she didn't swing."

SO I ask him, "did you see the ball hit the girl on the hands or not?" And I get:

"The ball hit near the hands." So I ask if he saw the ball hit the batter.

He said no.

Foul ball. "THANKS BLUE"

kellerumps Sun Apr 18, 2004 06:56pm

Always get the call right. You may have to eat something short term, but in the end, you will earn more respect from the coaches.

mcrowder Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:36am

Always try to get the call right.

That's what should override any of our thoughts.

However, as often as possible, if you have a question, YOU decide when to ask your partner for help, not the coach. If I've gotten myself out of position for whatever reason, and I can't see something (pulled foot, bobble, swipetag, etc), I should be the one to ask partner what he saw, whenever possible - NOT the coach.

The only time I'll go talk to partner after talking with a coach is when he brings up something I TRULY didn't see or think of until he brought it to my attention.

Steve M Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:41am

Mcrowder -
That's true for Fed & ASA, but different sanctioning bodies have different requirements. The Kellers do a lot of college ball, I do a bit myself. If a college coach sez "I think there was a pulled foot... check with your partner", that's a requirement and we will check.

mcrowder Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:56am

Point taken.

kellerumps Mon Apr 19, 2004 01:11pm

Another Example of Going for help that is mandatory(NCAA) is the check swing. I may KNOW for certain that the batter didn't swing, but if a coach requests it, I have to check.

Really, no matter what level, if a coach asks correctly and we have something kinda screwy, then I have no problem at all asking my partner what they saw.

More times than not you will gain a little respect from the coaches. Just my thoughts.