The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Had 3 or 4 situations today in freshman double header where each coach complained that the runner didn't slide. Wild pitch and runner on third takes off for home and makes it fairly easily, in fact pitcher who was covering dropped the ball. Runner didn't slide, but also didn't cause any unnecessary contact. Coach says SHE HAS TO SLIDE!. I say no she doesn't. Then I get it from the fan who knows all the rules and says that it's in the book that she has to slide. Another time runner on first is trying to steal second and just as she is getting to the bag F6 has to come into the runners path to catch the toss from F2 and of course there is a collision. Defensive coach is looking for an out because of no slide. I said it was simply a collision. Is the runner supposed to be able to at the very last second before she reaches the bag be able to somehow avoid the fielder who at the last second appears in her path? I told both coaches that runners aren't required to slide but if they do it has to be legal. I also told them that if a fielder has the ball and the runner doesn't slide and runs through them, then I have an out. Oppinions?
Old Sat Apr 17, 2004, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

sounds to me like you've got it nailed !!!