The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

I am trying to find a book that covers the mechanics of umpiring. I am a USSSA fastpitch umpire and I have worked with several partners and they all seem to do things a little different.
I have only been doing fastpitch for a couple of years and everytime I think I get it down,, a new partner wants to do something different.
I have the basics but would really like to see what the official book says.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Go to NFHS site and drill down through "Order Publications" to find Softball Umpires Manual. It will cost you $6.50 and that is the least you will spend anywhere. It is nearly word for word a copy of the umpire manual in the ASA Rule Book which is the bible for mechanics.

WMB
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

At this point, USSSA doesn't have an umpire's manual for FP, though I have heard that there are plans to make one in the future. They do have a SP umpire's manual at the back of the rulebook, or at least used to when I called it. By and large you would be best following the ASA/NFHS mechanics. You can purchase the rules books and the umpire's manual (one and the same in the umpire edition of the ASA rules book) from either of these organizations.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
It's unfortunate that so many of us want to be different, but I hope they are minor things. After you learn all the correct mechanics, you will find there are some things not covered and that some of your partners will still disagree.

And by all means, come back with questions after you read.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

is the site NFHS.com?
So far the differences have been minor. Who takes the throwback from the catcher to first. Who can courtesy run for the pitcher and catcher and when. Stuff like that. So far we cover it before the game and I pretty much do whatever my partner wants to do. It would be nice to know the official way to do it though.
Thanks everyone for their input.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

The best manual for officiating is the one put out by the NCAA in my opinion. It explains the reason for doing what you are doing. You can order it from the NCAA or go to cactusumpires.com and look for it there.
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

are the NCAA and NFHS mechanics the same?
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skymank
are the NCAA and NFHS mechanics the same?
The mechanics for ASA, NFHS, and NCAA are all extremely similar. Subsequently, here in Texas the state UIC for USSSA FP has adopted the same mechanics, and even begun a field training program for umpires very much like the ASA clinics you would attend.

The NFHS site is actually http://www.nfhs.org.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Thank you Scott,
I will be ordering a book today.
Kevin
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by skymank
is the site NFHS.com?
So far the differences have been minor. Who takes the throwback from the catcher to first. Who can courtesy run for the pitcher and catcher and when. Stuff like that. So far we cover it before the game and I pretty much do whatever my partner wants to do. It would be nice to know the official way to do it though.
Thanks everyone for their input.
www.nfhs.org

Courtesy runners are a rule, not a mechanic and the umpires have no choices.

On a throw from F2 to 1st (after a pitch?) with the BU in B, the BU better be closer and covers the play. Even with the BU in C, the PU would really have trouble seeing through the catcher, fielder and possibly F3 playing up; so I don't see it being anyone but the BU. The attempted tag is almost always on the outfield side of the base.