The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ground rules (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/13160-ground-rules.html)

chasbo Fri Apr 09, 2004 06:15pm

I've done high school (fresh & jv) where the third base dead ball territory is defined by the back stop fence extended. This is distinguished by a chalk line. On the first base side we have the back stop fence extended but about 10 feet behind this extended line is another fence that seperates the playing area with the parking lot. The home team usually uses this second fence as the dead ball line. My question is why when an overthrown ball touches this fence is it not a dead ball situation with an award. If the same thing happened on the third base side and an overthrow went past the chalk line, then it's a dead ball, but the coaches say that an overthrow on the first base side is still in play. If we used the back stop fence extended on the first base side as we do on the third base side then there would be a dead ball situation, correct?

whiskers_ump Fri Apr 09, 2004 08:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by chasbo
I've done high school (fresh & jv) where the third base dead ball territory is defined by the back stop fence extended. This is distinguished by a chalk line. On the first base side we have the back stop fence extended but about 10 feet behind this extended line is another fence that seperates the playing area with the parking lot. The home team usually uses this second fence as the dead ball line. My question is why when an overthrown ball touches this fence is it not a dead ball situation with an award. If the same thing happened on the third base side and an overthrow went past the chalk line, then it's a dead ball, but the coaches say that an overthrow on the first base side is still in play. If we used the back stop fence extended on the first base side as we do on the third base side then there would be a dead ball situation, correct?
Chasbo,

It is not a dead ball because the home team has decided to
utilze the fence. As long as it is brought to the attention of
the visiting team at the plate conference, everyone is playing on
an even keel.
Yes, if they choose to backstop fence extended as dead ball territory,
and continue the fence with a chalk line on to the outfield fence
are, you would have the same situation as on the 3rd base side.
Question? Does the parking lot fence continue all the way down to the
outfield fence? If not, do they chalk it?

chasbo Sat Apr 10, 2004 07:37am

Glen,
Yes the parking lot fence extends all the way down past where the outfield fence would intersect it.

Chas

whiskers_ump Sat Apr 10, 2004 07:46am

Chas

I don't see a problem then. Neither team is gaining an
advantage and both are aware of where the dead ball area
is. As long as blue remembers to get and give all the
special ground information. Several of our [Texas] smaller
schools utilize the city parks and most of them utilize
chalk lines and avilable fences the way you described.

SWFLguy Sat Apr 10, 2004 09:53am

One of the pleasures I found here in SW FL is that all
the high school fields are enclosed with no imaginary lines
or odd ground rules.
Back in CNY I worked many a game in a converted
cow pasture/corn field where we were lucky to even
have a back stop !
"OK coaches--- the out of play line will be an imaginary
line from that rock behind us to the tall pine tree to
our left..."
horrible !!