The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

I've posted a rather involved lineup change scenario with DP/FLEX; Steve M suggested printing out lineup cards to work through the options.

This has been posted before, but I just thought I'd mention it again. Cactus Umpires has a powerpoint presentation on lineup card management, including a discussion of DP/FLEX.

It looks like a well thought out system. I've not used this system myself, but I may give it a try this year.

Go to Cactus Umpires and click on the link "FREE Download! Lineup Management System for ASA & Federation."

With my browser setup, I have to right-click and download the presentation, and run it locally on my PC. That's best anyway, 'cause you'll probably want to go through it more than once.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

There's also a pretty good lineup card management system shown in the NCAA manual. I haven't looked this year, but it used to be a pdf file that could be downloaded from the NCAA's site. The NCAA material was put together by the same woman who put the stuff together on the Cactus umpire site - she knows her stuff. While the exercise uses different names, the method is the same.

And, I think one of our board regulars - Andy - is in her high school and ASA chapter.

I started using this method last fall and am going to continue with it. Here's why I'm going to use this method - I suspect it will be easier for someone else to handle in the event a game I am doing is suspended and restarted another day with someone else umpiring.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 06:34am
Official Forum Member

I just presented the PowerPoint at our first clinic this year. It is a good system. I haven't used it in a game yet but plan to start using it this year starting with my first game. Takes a little bit of study to learn it but I am sure it will be well worth it.

Most of the umps on my board indicated they wanted to give it a try.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

I also started using this system last year and have found it works wonderfully. I had seen the presentation during one of my visits to cactusumpires.com.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I just presented the PowerPoint at our first clinic this year. So did I. It is a good system. YES I haven't used it in a game yet but plan to start using it this year starting with my first game. Likewise. Takes a little bit of study to learn it but I am sure it will be well worth it. Minor disagreement; I found it easy to learn.

Most of the umps on my board indicated they wanted to give it a try. 24 of 25 softball umps that attended our clinic want a copy of my lineup card and they all plan to try it this year.

Our H.S. State Association wants to develop a unified lineup card to be used for all softball and baseball teams. I'm sure its the same everywhere; you are handed lineup cards that are anything from 2" squares to hand written notebook paper to computer generated pieces of paper. Every umpire I know would like to get handed the same lineup card. The MHSAA is looking at Emily Alexander's card and is seriously considering using it next year. The card can be used without using the "system." But hopefully we will also start teaching the system.

WMB
Old Sat Mar 13, 2004, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Now this leads to another question - do state high school associations anywhere have a standard lineup card management system?

In Pennsylvania, we do not.

I was using a method I learned a number of years ago while working the "little balls" game - I'll call it the "A B C" method. It is a good method for either/both baseball & softball.

But a couple of higher level groups have "encouraged" use of Emily's "twin's" method. It is at least as good as what I was doing. I've been using Emily's method since last fall's college season.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

WMB, not ssying it is hard to learn but you do need to spend a few minutes with it to understand the proper use.
I think my one time thru the presentation was not enough to grasp the comlete concept of the system.
I actually handed out a hard copy of the presentation to each ump so they could go back and use it as a study guide.

I have made up lineup cards as a Word doc that are simular to those found on the lineup card management system presentation. I've printed these on heavy stock which is perf'd so each 8 1/2" x 11" page has four cards on it. Also on the back I have added a place to keep score, def/off conferences, and equipment checks. I make these available to each ump on the board of about 23.

Our schools have no standard size cards and I too have been handed everything from a 2"x2" to a full 8 1/2" x 11" sheet.

Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Duke
Our schools have no standard size cards and I too have been handed everything from a 2"x2" to a full 8 1/2" x 11" sheet.
This is something that I would like to see the state associations address. There is no reason that each state cannot adopt a line-up card that will be used by every school in that state.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Steve M
Does Emily's twins system allow for sub re-entry? In looking over her system it appears that a sub can enter once and then if the starter re-enters, the sub is history. What about the subs re-entry?
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

"Does Emily's twins system allow for sub re-entry? In looking over her system it appears that a sub can enter once and then if the starter re-enters, the sub is history. What about the subs re-entry?"

Take a better look. A sub is circled when they first enter the game. Then "slashed" when they re-enter.

A circled sub can re-enter; a slashed sub (and starter) can not.

Have I got it Duke?

WMB
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Chas,
The orignal version of her twins method was for NCAA games - where a sub may not re-enter.

I downloaded her powerpoint presentation for ASA & Fed and am going through it. It does have a way to show that subs have entered once, come out, and re-entered. Go through the whole powerpoint - it goes over your basic lineup, courtesy runners, and the DP/Flex.
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly WMB, a circled sub can re-enter and a circle starter has re-entered the game. A circle sub may or may not be in the game. Once a circle sub is re-entered you slash her meaning she no longer has re-entry rights.
Once a circled starter is subbed for she is slashed, out of the game and no re-entry rights - HISTORY

This also makes it easy to see if a sub is available for a CR. If a sub has been used, she will have a circle and is not available as a CR. As the presentation says, NOT LEGAL - DO NOT ALLOW.

On the DP/FLEX presentation, slide 84, (could be a different slide # as I modified and added a few things to the presentation) I changed the wording that says #5 is history when she re-enters. I didn't like calling her history as she is actually in the game. Changed to read something like she used up her re-entry rights.

[Edited by Duke on Mar 14th, 2004 at 03:20 PM]
Old Sun Mar 14, 2004, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Steve M
Disregard previous ? about Emily's lineup card system. I was looking at an older version and just went on the cactus website and noticed there is a new power point presentation that does allow for the sub to re-enter.
Old Mon Mar 15, 2004, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
There's also a pretty good lineup card management system shown in the NCAA manual. I haven't looked this year, but it used to be a pdf file that could be downloaded from the NCAA's site. The NCAA material was put together by the same woman who put the stuff together on the Cactus umpire site - she knows her stuff. While the exercise uses different names, the method is the same.

And, I think one of our board regulars - Andy - is in her high school and ASA chapter.

I started using this method last fall and am going to continue with it. Here's why I'm going to use this method - I suspect it will be easier for someone else to handle in the event a game I am doing is suspended and restarted another day with someone else umpiring.
Emily is the training director for Arizona HS softball and the Metro Phoenix ASA umpires. The PP presentation she has developed is as good as any system around. She is a tremendous resource for FP softball umpiring. There are a number of good article on the cactus umpires website about game management and philosophies of umpiring. If you ever get a chance to attend a clinic or ASA national school that Emily is a part of, I highly recommend that you take advantage of it. We here in Metro Phoenix are extremely blessed to have access to her as a resource on a routine basis. The best part is to be able to work with her on the field. I have learned something new each time.