The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Does anyone know whether ASA recognizes a difference between a base that is "passed" (run by but missed) and one that is missed by a gross error (for example, runner is halfway between 2B and 3B and retreats directly to 1B).

I don't see anything in the rule book or case book, but there still might be an interpretation that takes those things into account (as in baseball).
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Does anyone know whether ASA recognizes a difference between a base that is "passed" (run by but missed) and one that is missed by a gross error (for example, runner is halfway between 2B and 3B and retreats directly to 1B).

I don't see anything in the rule book or case book, but there still might be an interpretation that takes those things into account (as in baseball).
I've never heard anything in baseball like this.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

Never heard of anything like this in baseball either.

However, speaking ASA, the answer is no. There are only two options, touch the base or or not touch the base.

Old Fri Feb 27, 2004, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing in the baseball rule book, but OBR does recognize the difference. Example from the J/R:

Abel on 1B. Baker hits a line drive to right-center. Abel rounds 2B and is halfway to 3B when the ball is caught.

Play A: Abel retraces his steps but misses 2B. Throw to 1B bounces off F3 and rolls to the backstop. Abel touches 1B and then runs to 2B.

Ruling: Although Abel missed 2B while returning, an appeal of that miss would be denied, as Abel has now touched 2B (touched it last time by).

Play B: Abel, halfway to 3B, runs directly to 1B. Throw to 1B bounds away, and Abel tags 1B and then runs to 2B.

Ruling: The appeal at 2B is upheld, because Abel's miss was a "gross error," defined as by "more than a body length."

I have no idea whether Fed baseball would rule the same way, but that's the OBR rule.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Never heard of anything like this in baseball either.

However, speaking ASA, the answer is no. There are only two options, touch the base or or not touch the base.

[/B]
It's nice to have some simple rules, especially for the sport discussed on this forum.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2004, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Aha, But "last time by along with the gross miss interp makes complicated situations simpler instead of more complicated?

"Are you appealing the first, second or third time the runner passed 2nd base, Miss F6?????"

Oh, my.

Roger Greene