The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA test 2004 (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/12425-asa-test-2004-a.html)

oppool Tue Feb 24, 2004 01:34pm

I believe this year test has a question that the KEY for the correct answers are different than what is stated in either the text book or case book

Question 97. R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B with 2 outs. B3 hits a high fly ball to shortstop and plate umpire yells "Infield Fly Batter is out!" F6 drops the ball. The offensive team manager protests the umpire interpretation. The umpire should rule:

A. Invalid protest and the inning is over
B. Valid protest. B3 bats again and runners remain at 1B and 2B.
C. Valid protest. B3 is awarded 1B, and runners are advanced one base
D. None of the above

Case book play 9.2-1 which is used on the key reference which is the exact play gives you answer "C" but the key to the test says the correct answer is "D".

If the correct answer is "D" what is the correct ruling??

Question 60. The pitcher attempts a quick return before the batter is ready. No pitch should be declared by the umpire?

True or False

The correct answer depends if you answering for FP or SP the key gives the FP answer

Just thought I would pass it along

Don

CecilOne Tue Feb 24, 2004 05:24pm

Sounds like the IF question is trying to prove that the umpire blew it and there is no remedy. I think we agree, but since the BR was not out, the BR get 1st, although not an "award". BUT, the runners do not advance unless they make it on their own. A and B are impossible.

Q60- why does it "depend if you answering for FP or SP "?

[Edited by CecilOne on Feb 24th, 2004 at 04:30 PM]

whiskers_ump Tue Feb 24, 2004 05:41pm

Cecil One,

I believe a quick pitch in slow pitch is an illegal pitch.

In FP a no pitch would be correct.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 24, 2004 09:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by oppool
I believe this year test has a question that the KEY for the correct answers are different than what is stated in either the text book or case book

Question 97. R1 on 2B and R2 on 1B with 2 outs. B3 hits a high fly ball to shortstop and plate umpire yells "Infield Fly Batter is out!" F6 drops the ball. The offensive team manager protests the umpire interpretation. The umpire should rule:

A. Invalid protest and the inning is over
B. Valid protest. B3 bats again and runners remain at 1B and 2B.
C. Valid protest. B3 is awarded 1B, and runners are advanced one base
D. None of the above

Case book play 9.2-1 which is used on the key reference which is the exact play gives you answer "C" but the key to the test says the correct answer is "D".

If the correct answer is "D" what is the correct ruling??

C would be correct if it didn't say runners are advanced one base. Even though it was a valid protest, there is no stipulation that the runners be advanced. In this situation, the BR would be awarded 1B and only those forced to move up would do so.
Quote:

Question 60. The pitcher attempts a quick return before the batter is ready. No pitch should be declared by the umpire?

True or False

The correct answer depends if you answering for FP or SP the key gives the FP answer
Don is sort of correct. It is a "no pitch" in FP and MP, but is covered under IP for SP.

If the umpire is doing their job, it is "no pitch" in all games.

oppool Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:24pm

I understand your point Mike if the runners would of been at 2nd and 3rd at the TOP there would of been no advancement BUT even the case book play states the runners advance it just doesnt state the 1 base part. The problem I have now is that must umpire come from the test not understanding that with the "D" answer that this is a VALID PROTEST and the test confuses this point.

JMO

Don

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 25, 2004 09:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by oppool
I understand your point Mike if the runners would of been at 2nd and 3rd at the TOP there would of been no advancement BUT even the case book play states the runners advance it just doesnt state the 1 base part. The problem
But it is not a given. Any runners which legally advanced during the play are not returned. If you insist that you advance every runner one base from the point of the misapplied rule, you may have to bring some runners back.

In the CB, it just mentioned advancing runners, which means the assumption is that they were forced to move due to the BR being awarded 1B.

In rectifying such a situation, you correct the status of the player which was affected by the out call, the batter. There is nothing stating you award the runners everything.

Quote:

I have now is that must umpire come from the test not understanding that with the "D" answer that this is a VALID PROTEST and the test confuses this point.
The point of the test is to challenge the umpire. After all, you certainly don't have a multiple choice list when you're out on the field making the call.