The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Gear (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/11883-gear.html)

Dukat Sat Jan 24, 2004 08:33pm

Since we have had a few threads on gear lately I was wondering, If you got a budget to go out and get all new gear what model-types would you get? Facemask, Chest Protector, Shin Guards etc.

BigUmpJohn Sat Jan 24, 2004 09:42pm

Well, it does depend on how much you are willing to spend, but for a little under $200, I got all Wilson products-- Wilson "W" Chest Protector, Wilson "Pro" Leg guards, and Wilson Dyna-Lite mask. It was part of a package deal at a local store.

TexBlue Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:17pm

I started out pretty economical 8 years ago. I bought the mask, protector and shin guards for about $77.00. I have since upgraded. I have a $129.00 All-Star composite face mask, the Honigs K2 chest protector for $79.00 ( which I was talked into. Haven't used it yet.) and Diamond shin guards for $139.00, with the upper pad above the knee and wrap around protection on the knee. Obviously, I have no name brand loyalty. If it looks like it'll do the job, that's what I want.

By the way, is there any way to replace the little hook-loops that the straps hook onto? They don't seem to hold up to the sweat too well down here.

I figure I'm probably in the middle of the pack as far as cost goes. By the time I'm suited up, ie pants, shirt, steel toed shoes, cap and all the gear already noted it's about $480.00 to $500.00. You can get started a lot cheaper than that, if you're just getting interested in umpiring and want to see if it's for you. But, I love it, so I started spending more. The only thing I splurged on was the shin guards. I got lazy one night and my plate mechanics were suspect. I took a pitched ball off the inside part of my knee ( think I was set up properly?) I had to go to the truck and slit my pants up to my knee so I could get the shin guards off, the knee was swelled up so bad. The light dawned on me. http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/bangin.gifThe next day, I improved my stance behind the plate, wearing a knee brace and my new Diamond shin guards. There's a reason they have you set up with the knees pointed toward the pitcher, not spread out. Learn from experience.

Dukat Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:21pm

Actually the idea for me is to go from cheap to better gear therefore I decided to find out what most of you guys use. I have just about determined to go with the K2, after that I have been torn.

BigUmpJohn Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:25pm

Not to sound like Jerry Seinfeld, but what is the deal with this K2? Of course I'm lazy and I haven't done any research. What makes this thing so great?

Skahtboi Sun Jan 25, 2004 03:20pm

John:

I have the same question. I know folks that have them, and I personally have checked into them, and feel that for comfort and overall protection, my All-Star mesh chest protector is every bit as good if not better.

BigUmpJohn Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:05am

I asked a fellow blue over the phone today if he knew anyone who used a K2. It turns out that he did and he swears by them. Hey, I guess my philosophy is that if I'm not getting bruises every day then it doesn't matter what type of chest protector I have. But who can think about softball with 4 inches of snow on the ground, another 2 coming, and freezing rain in the morning?

blue Mon Jan 26, 2004 08:32am

I ump in the Houston area where it is hot and muggy till winter, which is usually about the 3rd week of January. After using several different chest protectors, I bought a K2 last summer. It offers less overall protection than most other protectors. But it protects the sternum and shoulder areas, while being extremely lightweight. It fits more comfortably than the others I have had. When the game is over, and I take it off, i'm not covered with sweat under the chest protector. You still sweat a lot, because of the weather here, but you don"t sweat because of the chest protector. My previous favorite chest protector was a Pos-Plus (B203 I think). It had a very comfortable fit, but I would perspire quite a bit under the gear. My undershirt would be soaked after a game. If i umped further north, I would probably carry both the K2 and Pos-Plus.

FUBLUE Tue Jan 27, 2004 08:39am

Honigs Man

I swear by the Honig's equipment. I have the single bar facemask (metal lightweight) and love it. Haven't like the composite masks...think their too light...spin off the head too easy on fouls. I also have their first chest protector model ever made. It is the "older brother" of the K2 protector...has full chest coverage, shoulder protection, bicep protection attachments and extra stomach protection attachments. I don't use the bicep of extra stomach attachments. I'm a big guy...the K2 doesn't seem to protect me as well as it does smaller guys. Shinguards are the Honig's model as well. Ohe item I'd never not use is the throat protector. I know extended masks are supposed to work, but I still wear the extra protection.

My biggest problem is shoes...I have wide feet. Anyone know someone who sells quality wide plate shoes?

Roger Greene Tue Jan 27, 2004 09:07am

Re: Honigs Man

Quote:

Originally posted by FUBLUE

My biggest problem is shoes...I have wide feet. Anyone know someone who sells quality wide plate shoes? [/B]
If your talking about plate shoes:
+POS or Gerry Davis. Davis only has the patent leather in the EE or EEE now.
I'm in that same boat. I like the high tops.

Roger Greene

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jan 27, 2004 09:12am

Re: Honigs Man

Quote:

I swear by the Honig's equipment. I have the single bar facemask (metal lightweight) and love it. Haven't like the composite masks...think their too light...spin off the head too easy on fouls.
Then tighten the straps. However, if the mask spins, it is absorbing most of the impact. It's a foul ball, as the umpire, you're not going to miss anything.

Quote:

My biggest problem is shoes...I have wide feet. Anyone know someone who sells quality wide plate shoes?
Find someone who deals in New Balance. I also have extra wide feet and so far, this is the only brand I have found with a "wide" assortment.

FUBLUE Tue Jan 27, 2004 09:48am

Trust me, the straps are tight. Don't like the feel either. I've only used it a few times, and every time I get hit if the kisser the mask spins off the old noggin. Lots of people swear by them. Several of my regular partners love them. I just don't like the way it feels when I get cracked in the mask by that 95 mile per hour heater.

All I wear in regular shoes is New Balance...haven't found anyone dealing in New Balance that knows of anything like a plate shoe. I have emailed New Balance and I'm waiting for a reply. Thanks though!

[Edited by FUBLUE on Jan 27th, 2004 at 08:51 AM]

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jan 27, 2004 01:18pm

Quote:

All I wear in regular shoes is New Balance...haven't found anyone dealing in New Balance that knows of anything like a plate shoe.

[Edited by FUBLUE on Jan 27th, 2004 at 08:51 AM]

Sorry, my bad. I missed the word "plate" in your other post.