The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   22 Years of The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/105905-22-years-official-forum.html)

Skahtboi Wed Jan 18, 2023 05:28pm

22 Years of The Official Forum

I have been coming here for 22 years now. I have learned much through the discussions here over the years that have helped me become a (hopefully) better official. I haven't been quite as active as I used to be, and it saddens me when I see how quiet the forums have become.

Anyone have any idea as to why this could be? Is it partly due to the drop in sports officials over over the years? Is it because the various social medias have filled this niche??

What other online sources are your favorites? Please. feel free to list them below.

Cecil4 Wed Jan 18, 2023 07:53pm

Scott,
Like you, I have been here a long time. First as CecilOne:
Join Date Wed Nov 20, 2002 Total Posts 6,425
I am now Cecil4 because of a password problem from Oct 2020 to
Join Date Sun Feb 27, 2022 -- Total Posts 90
I have really learned from this and definitely enjoyed the interaction with many of our members. Please stay active.

I think there are fewer officials really interested in depth and improvement and of course, are spending online time on other sources. I hate to say it, but most of those I remember have retired or passed.

I'm glad you are still connected and glad you posted that.

Robert Goodman Thu Jan 19, 2023 05:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 1049878)
I have been coming here for 22 years now. I have learned much through the discussions here over the years that have helped me become a (hopefully) better official. I haven't been quite as active as I used to be, and it saddens me when I see how quiet the forums have become.

Anyone have any idea as to why this could be? Is it partly due to the drop in sports officials over over the years?

Yes, as the population ages there are fewer involved in such activities.

I've seen similar declines in traffic in most online forums I've participated in. The demographics is one factor, but another, I think, is that...we succeeded! We had a lot of things to hammer out in diverse fields, and over the years we did hammer them out so the subjects aren't as interesting any more. Some discussion forums I've been involved in have therefore become more news-driven, reacting to external stimuli instead of raising our own.

Skahtboi Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1049884)
Yes, as the population ages there are fewer involved in such activities.

I've seen similar declines in traffic in most online forums I've participated in. The demographics is one factor, but another, I think, is that...we succeeded! We had a lot of things to hammer out in diverse fields, and over the years we did hammer them out so the subjects aren't as interesting any more. Some discussion forums I've been involved in have therefore become more news-driven, reacting to external stimuli instead of raising our own.

With the constantly changing rulesets (especially NCAA), I find it hard to believe we can ever have this all completely hammered out. After 30 years of officiating I still find the creation of difficult scenarios a fun and necessary mental exercise. And that was one of the things I always have enjoyed here

Skahtboi Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil4 (Post 1049880)
Scott,
Like you, I have been here a long time. First as CecilOne:
Join Date Wed Nov 20, 2002 Total Posts 6,425
I am now Cecil4 because of a password problem from Oct 2020 to
Join Date Sun Feb 27, 2022 -- Total Posts 90
I have really learned from this and definitely enjoyed the interaction with many of our members. Please stay active.

I think there are fewer officials really interested in depth and improvement and of course, are spending online time on other sources. I hate to say it, but most of those I remember have retired or passed.

I'm glad you are still connected and glad you posted that.

So why didn't you go to Cecil1 so that we would still know who you are! :D

How have you been and have there been members on here who have passed of which I don't know??

Robert Goodman Fri Jan 20, 2023 06:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 1049886)
With the constantly changing rulesets (especially NCAA), I find it hard to believe we can ever have this all completely hammered out.

That's what I meant by discussion being increasingly news-driven. This applies to a lot of subjects.

When online discussion began, there were questions many people had had for years. It took time to hammer out this backlog, until eventually only new business was left.

The phenomenon's not limited to discussions. I've noticed with new radio shows on participant-driven WFMU, the DJ may have had records they'd saved for years that they wanted to play, and their show's very interesting -- until they exhaust that backlog. Similarly with TV series that may be an outlet for stories that'd been sitting on shelves for years waiting to be produced.

Cecil4 Fri Jan 20, 2023 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 1049887)
So why didn't you go to Cecil1 so that we would still know who you are! :D

How have you been and have there been members on here who have passed of which I don't know??

I tried Cecil1, Cecil2, Cecil3 before getting the new id to set up. It's too bad there was no support available.

Skahtboi Fri Jan 20, 2023 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 1049902)
That's what I meant by discussion being increasingly news-driven. This applies to a lot of subjects.

When online discussion began, there were questions many people had had for years. It took time to hammer out this backlog, until eventually only new business was left.

The phenomenon's not limited to discussions. I've noticed with new radio shows on participant-driven WFMU, the DJ may have had records they'd saved for years that they wanted to play, and their show's very interesting -- until they exhaust that backlog. Similarly with TV series that may be an outlet for stories that'd been sitting on shelves for years waiting to be produced.

I understand that. But I am thinking about new officials. I was drawn here as a younger official who was looking for a way to continually educate myself. This forum proved invaluable in that mission.

Skahtboi Fri Jan 20, 2023 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecil4 (Post 1049903)
I tried Cecil1, Cecil2, Cecil3 before getting the new id to set up. It's too bad there was no support available.

There isn't any support here?? I have never needed it so I had no idea.

tcannizzo Sat Jan 21, 2023 03:40pm

The discussions took a nose-dive when the pandemic shut down sports for the better part of 2020.

The sport resumed, but the discussion board never really rebounded.
I've never really understood why.

Yes, there is an inter-galactic shortage of umpires and we are losing more than we are bringing in. But there is a lot of ball going on and there should be a commensurate volume of plays, questions, interps, etc.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring?

Strange days indeed.

Skahtboi Tue Jan 24, 2023 03:18pm

I know I am guilty of not being as active on here as I once was. Work, other demands on my time....etc. But I do try to check in here even if I am just ghosting.

teebob21 Thu Feb 09, 2023 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcannizzo (Post 1049924)
The sport resumed, but the discussion board never really rebounded.
I've never really understood why.

Other forms of online interaction, such as modern social media platforms, have taken a bigger share of the discussion participation.

Forums like this one, and the Bulletin Board systems they replaced, are the OG social media...but their moment in the sun might be coming to an end.