The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64
Dropped 3rd strike interference or not

On a dropped 3rd strike, if the ball bounces off the ground, hits the catcher then the batter on the way to first out of the box, are they out for interference? NFHS
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
On a dropped 3rd strike, if the ball bounces off the ground, hits the catcher then the batter on the way to first out of the box, are they out for interference? NFHS
Unlikely - what did the batter do to warrant an INT call?
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Aug 30, 2021, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64
The batter/runner was hit in the back with ball while out of the box after the ball bounced off catcher. Umpire used rule 8-2-7 as a reference but, I don't know....
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 07:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
The batter/runner was hit in the back with ball while out of the box after the ball bounced off catcher. Umpire used rule 8-2-7 as a reference but, I don't know....
There is no "8.2.7".
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 08:29am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 64
Page 63
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Aug 31, 2021, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffdweller View Post
Page 63
I only have the 2019 version of USA Softball rules. Not there.

Would likely have to be 8.2.some alpha character.
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 09, 2021, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 4
He's talking about 8.2.7 in the case book rather than the rules. That's divided into four "situations"

The only one that seemingly applies here is "D"

B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) b3 runs into her and knocks her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. RULING: In both (a) and (b), interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter-runner out.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 09, 2021, 07:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingron View Post
He's talking about 8.2.7 in the case book rather than the rules. That's divided into four "situations"

The only one that seemingly applies here is "D"

B3 has a count of 3-2 with no runners on base and two outs. On the next pitch B3 swings and misses. The ball bounces off F2's shin guard and lands in front of home plate. As F2 moves out to field the ball, (a) b3 runs into her and knocks her down or (b) B3 unintentionally kicks the ball. RULING: In both (a) and (b), interference; the umpire calls "dead ball" and rules the batter-runner out.
Thanx for clarification - I mixed up NFHS & USA on the references.

Still, the question remains from the OP: what did the BR do to warrant an INT call?
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat Sep 18, 2021, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Thanx for clarification - I mixed up NFHS & USA on the references.

Still, the question remains from the OP: what did the BR do to warrant an INT call?
NFHS Situation 8.2.7 Situation D (b) unintentionally kicks the ball.

Ruling: out for interference.

I would agree the ruling is interference, but I also agree with your thinking about what they did to warrant the interference call. To me this should be an umpires judgment call regarding if the batter runner intentionally interfered. I don't like penalizing a player because of a bad bounce on a bad play by the opponent.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Sep 20, 2021, 09:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fremont, NH
Posts: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
To me this should be an umpires judgment call regarding if the batter runner intentionally interfered. I don't like penalizing a player because of a bad bounce on a bad play by the opponent.
If the BR did ANYthing (intentional or unintentional) that could be deemed INT, then call it.

The OP states a pitched ball hit the ground, bounced off F2, and then hit the BR. I don't see any justification for an INT/Out call here.

I know this was an NFHS question (which I confused at first), but I posted a question about when the "intent" of a player's actions was removed from ASA/USA. I know it was a few years ago. I also asked if there was a listing of what actions an umpire might consider as "intentional" violations. Sadly, got no answers to that query.
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dropped Third Strike - Interference? aschramm Baseball 6 Wed Jul 08, 2009 03:44pm
Dropped third strike interference? John Robertson Softball 22 Sat Nov 08, 2008 05:20pm
Dropped 3rd strike and BR interference Hoosier_Dave Softball 2 Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:43pm
Dropped Third Strike - Interference tcblue13 Softball 2 Mon Apr 03, 2006 02:16pm
Dropped Third Strike and Interference Stair-Climber Softball 2 Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:30pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1