The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Friendly debate on sell out call on DP (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104653-friendly-debate-sell-out-call-dp.html)

Tru_in_Blu Wed Jul 17, 2019 04:11pm

Friendly debate on sell out call on DP

I recall at a NUS that it was recommended that we give the sell out for the back end of a double play.

A few umpires were having this discussion.

When do you use the sell out?
  1. On a routine 6-4-3 DP that's close at first.
  2. On a routine 6-4-3 DP when the batter fell down in the batter's box.
  3. Runner off first gets doubled up following a line drive catch by an infielder.
  4. Runner on second thinks a ball hit to an outfielder will not be caught, but it is and the runner is out by 50 feet.
  5. A dead ball appeal on a runner that left early on a caught fly ball.
  6. A strike 'em out, throw 'em out DP.
  7. Others?

CecilOne Wed Jul 17, 2019 07:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1033659)
I recall at a NUS that it was recommended that we give the sell out for the back end of a double play.

A few umpires were having this discussion.

1. On a routine 6-4-3 DP that's close at first.
  2. On a routine 6-4-3 DP when the batter fell down in the batter's box.
  3. Runner off first gets doubled up following a line drive catch by an infielder.
  4. Runner on second thinks a ball hit to an outfielder will not be caught, but it is and the runner is out by 50 feet.
  5. A dead ball appeal on a runner that left early on a caught fly ball.
  6. A strike 'em out, throw 'em out DP.
  7. Others?

1, 3, 5 if not obvious, 6, tag at the plate, etc.

teebob21 Thu Jul 18, 2019 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1033659)

Short answer: When it's called for and justified.

Longer answer: Close plays (duh), most plays that require a point (juggled ball, an un-pulled foot, etc.), most but not all double plays.

At high school and above, even if a play is game-changing or ESPN Top 10-worthy, I don't sell the out if it's not close. For littler kids, I'll maybe punch it if it's a great play. That's for the kids to feel like they're big-time, not me doing an #UmpShow.

Never on a dead-ball appeal; never on INT; never on a LBR/leaving early violation; never on a catch. I used to sell great catches (per the then-NCAA guidance), but since they changed the guidance, I don't do that any more.

3afan Fri Jul 19, 2019 09:56am

I was always taught to use the sell-out when you need to. If it's a close play and there may be some doubt either way - then sell it.

I was never taught to use the sell-out on a specific play.

Manny A Thu Aug 01, 2019 01:56pm

One of my mentors never used the sell out. He always just came up with a cool, calm, nonchalant routine out call, even if it was a banger throw-out of a runner trying to score the game-tying run to end a championship game. In fact, the more the situation called for a sell, the slower and more deliberate he would make the call.

teebob21 Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1033839)
One of my mentors never used the sell out. He always just came up with a cool, calm, nonchalant routine out call, even if it was a banger throw-out of a runner trying to score the game-tying run to end a championship game. In fact, the more the situation called for a sell, the slower and more deliberate he would make the call.

It's quite amazing how well some of the long-timers can pull this off. Myself, I can't.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Aug 02, 2019 07:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1033839)

Ran into an umpire somewhat like that about 30 years ago while playing the big SP tournament in Richmond, VA (40O+ teams).

Everybody told us how good he was. He must have been paying them to say that. :) He was okay, but lacked hustle and never stopped with the sunflower seeds. Making a signal seemed like a chore and was sometimes done in such a nonchalant manner, my teammates wondered if he was even paying attention.

Being sharp and deliberate is one thing. Being "cool" is another