The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   lineup card question (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/10458-lineup-card-question.html)

Little Jimmy Thu Oct 16, 2003 09:46pm

I was wondering if there is an "official" way that an umpire should keep track of his lineup card. I ask this because I recently visited the cactusump web sight that had a powerpoint presentation about lineup cards. Their proceedures were understandable but over the years I've come up with my own way of marking the card which is very clear to me. Is there an official way, taught at ASA or other clinics, to maintain a card or are we free to devise our own so long as we are true to the rules and proceedures of the game?

SC Ump Fri Oct 17, 2003 03:28am

I don't believe there is an official way, unless your local organization specifies one for you. I agree with you, the Power Point presentation was good, but the one that was shown to me, and which I have modified to suit my needs, is working fine.

Skahtboi Fri Oct 17, 2003 08:46am

I agree. How one keeps a line-up card is pretty much a personal thing. We all have different ways of doing it, and little codes of our own that work for us.

Steve M Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:43am

One of the college clinics I went to "suggested" that we use the method in the NCAA umpire manual. We were told that if we chose not to follow the "suggested" method, we'd have to be prepared to fully explain our method.

So, while there is no formally approved method for any of the sanctioning bodies - at least none that I know of - there may well be one that almost is mandatory.

That was a D1 clinic, the D2 clinics teach that method also, but there hasn't been any strong suggestion - one way or another - in the past.

I am of the opinion that the simpler the system, and the less writing we have to do - the better.

Steve M

Andy Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:11am

It looks like we all agree that there is no "official" way to keep a lineup card. Two points to consider however:

1. If another umpire needs to finish your game at a later date becuase of weather, power outage, etc., it is helpful to have the original lineup card to use.

2. If a game is protested and the lineup card needs to be consulted to resolve the protest, it should be easy to follow by another party besides the umpire.

I am a member of Cactus Umpires and have been fortunate enough to be in the class that Emily presented the lineup card method. I use a variation of it that I like.

Go with what works for you, but make sure others can follow if necessary.

whiskers_ump Fri Oct 17, 2003 01:35pm

Goody point Andy. As stated I am sure we all have
our own little ways of maintaining the line sheets.

glen

Steve M Fri Oct 17, 2003 05:39pm

Andy,
I agree with Glen, that's a very good point. I've been in clinics with Emily and am probably going to change to the method she's taught. I've been using what I'll call an "A B C' method that I learned while doing the BB game. It's almost as simple, but not quite.

Now, perhaps this should be another topic, but I'll start it here. In the event of a suspended game, how do we all go about getting the lineup cards to the "replacement" umps when we can't get to the makeup? Locally, with ASA, we don't worry about it - our local commissioner not only doesn't think any umpire wants to work a national, he doesn't see any reason at all for anyone ever using a lineup card. In my case, with college, I scan the cards in to my pc as jpeg files and email them to the assignor. With high school ball, we've been instructed to hand them to the home coach.... I've never had or heard of a problem with this, but certainly see the potential.

What do your areas do?

Steve M

kellerumps Sat Oct 18, 2003 01:10pm

I know for a Fact the Emily has put alot of time and effort into this system. Once you get the hang of it, it is really easy to use AND maintain. At the upper levels it is important that everybody(Umpires and Coaches) is on the same page.

I have D1 Coaches that watch me make changes on the line-up card to make sure mine matches theirs. If I use the "Accepted" system, then that removes one more item that the coaches can complain about.