The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   situation/mechanic-fed (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104544-situation-mechanic-fed.html)

bbman Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:52pm

situation/mechanic-fed

Runner on second, no outs. Deep fly ball caught by F8. Who has tag up responsibility & who has play at third? (2 person).
Thanks

Tru_in_Blu Thu Apr 25, 2019 06:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1032526)
Runner on second, no outs. Deep fly ball caught by F8. Who has tag up responsibility & who has play at third? (2 person).
Thanks

If BU does not chase, BU has the tag up and the runner into third.

teebob21 Thu Apr 25, 2019 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1032529)
If BU does not chase, BU has the tag up and the runner into third.

Best position for this is inside the diamond at the top of the circle. If the ball is caught, take the tagup and move left with the runner to 3B. If the ball is dropped, move right to pick up BR.

CecilOne Fri Apr 26, 2019 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1032547)
Best position for this is inside the diamond at the top of the circle. If the ball is caught, take the tagup and move left with the runner to 3B. If the ball is dropped, move right to pick up BR.

With emphasis on inside the diamond, before the catch; but not a straight-on angle.

Tru_in_Blu Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032556)
With emphasis on inside the diamond, before the catch; but not a straight-on angle.

In HS softball, this can sometimes be difficult. I believe I'm seeing a lot more line drive hits to the outfield than I am the lazy high fly balls or "can of corn".

This may be a testament to coaching, clinics, etc, for girls these days. Even balls hit over a fence for a HR are out of the park in 2 or 3 seconds.

When in "C" and shading second base, you have to be careful not to affect the base runner from second base in trying to get inside. Some runners may not be astute enough to know that they should be tagging up. So they run past you and then at the last minute decide to return.

A line drive to F7 or F8 doesn't often leave enough time to get inside.

CecilOne Fri Apr 26, 2019 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1032559)
In HS softball, this can sometimes be difficult. I believe I'm seeing a lot more line drive hits to the outfield than I am the lazy high fly balls or "can of corn".

This may be a testament to coaching, clinics, etc, for girls these days. Even balls hit over a fence for a HR are out of the park in 2 or 3 seconds.

When in "C" and shading second base, you have to be careful not to affect the base runner from second base in trying to get inside. Some runners may not be astute enough to know that they should be tagging up. So they run past you and then at the last minute decide to return.

A line drive to F7 or F8 doesn't often leave enough time to get inside.

That's why we get the big bucks ! :D :D :D

Manny A Fri Apr 26, 2019 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1032556)

Why not? You should be lining up the runner with the fielder making the catch as much as possible. Your PU partner has the Catch/No Catch, so he/she should be setting up to see the play in the outfield.

Manny A Fri Apr 26, 2019 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbman (Post 1032526)
Thanks

Yes, USA Softball and NFHS has the BU taking the tag-up and the runner into third base.

But NCAA (per the CCA Manual) has the PU taking the runner going to third. Makes sense to me because if the BU over-commits and the runner turns and returns to second, the BU may be way out of position for a play there. The PU, meanwhile, can move to his/her left toward third base to get an angle on the catch, and then easily move to take the runner into third base.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Apr 26, 2019 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1032562)
Yes, USA Softball and NFHS has the BU taking the tag-up and the runner into third base.

But NCAA (per the CCA Manual) has the PU taking the runner going to third. Makes sense to me because if the BU over-commits and the runner turns and returns to second, the BU may be way out of position for a play there. The PU, meanwhile, can move to his/her left toward third base to get an angle on the catch, and then easily move to take the runner into third base.

So they have a mechanic based upon the umpire screwing up?

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:09am

There are four things that could happen on the play. The NCAA mechanic prescribed years ago by EA allows the umpire mechanics to be similar regardless which of the four results.
1) Fly caught, runner returns to 2nd with no play. BU has tag, covers 2nd.
2) Fly caught, runner returns to 2nd with a play. BU has tag, covers 2nd.
3) Fly not caught, BU picks up BR at 1st (and/or 2nd). PU has R1 into 3rd on this.
4) Fly caught, BU has tag, and possible return to 2nd, and possibility ball drops. NCAA isn't wasting the PU to spectate; PU to handle the same as #3, has R1 into 3rd. If R1 goes halfway and returns, play is already completely bracketed.

This mechanic allows the BU to give immediate attention and secure a solid calling position in 1, 2, and 3. It allows both BU and PU to succeed, no matter what result, or even a broken play, no umpire is out of position for a call. EA tried to convince ASA in the late 90's and early 00's, but was ignored. In my opinion, this is a better mechanic.