The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New "Two Second Pause" Pitching Interpretation (NCAA) (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104029-new-two-second-pause-pitching-interpretation-ncaa.html)

teebob21 Wed Sep 19, 2018 06:30pm

New "Two Second Pause" Pitching Interpretation (NCAA)

The NCAA has released a new interpretation for Rule 10.2. It seems to basically specify that F1 must have two feet on the pitching plate when a signal is taken, whether it comes from the dugout or F2.

"Any time a pitcher takes a signal from somewhere other than
the pitcher’s plate with hands separated, it is an illegal pitch,
unless she also takes another signal while in the position
required in Rule 10.2.1."

But wait there's more! If a batter is slow getting in the box, and the umpire has a hand up, the pitcher can throw without an additional pause when the PU signals ready for play.

I think this is going to be a headache to enforce. Am I wrong?

Big Slick Thu Sep 20, 2018 07:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1024667)
The NCAA has released a new interpretation for Rule 10.2. It seems to basically specify that F1 must have two feet on the pitching plate when a signal is taken, whether it comes from the dugout or F2.

"Any time a pitcher takes a signal from somewhere other than
the pitcher’s plate with hands separated, it is an illegal pitch,
unless she also takes another signal while in the position
required in Rule 10.2.1."

But wait there's more! If a batter is slow getting in the box, and the umpire has a hand up, the pitcher can throw without an additional pause when the PU signals ready for play.

I think this is going to be a headache to enforce. Am I wrong?

Big time headache. And this interp makes zero sense. How can a player create a violation, but then rectify the violation moments later? So we see the pitcher looking at the wristband off the Pitcher's plate. ILLEGAL. Then she gets on the pitcher's plate and takes the signal. OOPS, not ILLEGAL. Do we now have a "delayed-delayed dead ball signal"?

IRISHMAFIA Thu Sep 20, 2018 08:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 1024679)
Big time headache. And this interp makes zero sense. How can a player create a violation, but then rectify the violation moments later? So we see the pitcher looking at the wristband off the Pitcher's plate. ILLEGAL. Then she gets on the pitcher's plate and takes the signal. OOPS, not ILLEGAL. Do we now have a "delayed-delayed dead ball signal"?

IMO, the entire interpretation is unnecessary and an insult to qualified umpires who work NCAA games

CecilOne Thu Sep 20, 2018 09:07am

Not to mention, that it implies that " takes a signal from somewhere other than
the pitcher’s plate " with hands joined is legal.
Of course, I am taking this out of context of the whole rule; and I do not have or want an NCAA book. :rolleyes:

Tru_in_Blu Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1024690)
I do not have or want an NCAA book. :rolleyes:

Ditto.

Scooby Thu Sep 20, 2018 09:38pm

I have worked a few fall ball games using the "new" interpenetration. It is great!!! The game moves quicker, as once the pitcher takes the sign she goes into her motion. Not, step on the plate, pause and then go into her motion.
No problems what so ever.

IRISHMAFIA Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1024729)
I have worked a few fall ball games using the "new" interpenetration. It is great!!! The game moves quicker, as once the pitcher takes the sign she goes into her motion. Not, step on the plate, pause and then go into her motion.
No problems what so ever.

Then she is illegal. A pause is still required.

Scooby Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1024771)
Then she is illegal. A pause is still required.

No, she is not illegal. She paused while taking the signs.

RKBUmp Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1024804)
No, she is not illegal. She paused while taking the signs.

The wording of the new NCAA rule still requires the pitcher to take another signal after they have engaged the pitching plate if they took one before engaging. So yes, the pitcher must still pause and take a signal after stepping on.

Big Slick Mon Sep 24, 2018 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1024818)
The wording of the new NCAA rule still requires the pitcher to take another signal after they have engaged the pitching plate if they took one before engaging. So yes, the pitcher must still pause and take a signal after stepping on.

So why makes these two statements in the new interpretation (not a new rule):
-If the pitcher is taking a signal from an arm band, the needs to be done while she is in contact with the pitcher's plate.
-If a pitcher is taking a visual signal from a coach or player, this needs to be done while she is in contact with the pitcher's plate.

And this:
-Any time a pitcher takes a signal from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate (with hands separated*), it is an illegal pitch . . . (my emphasis added) "unless she also takes another signal while in the position required in rule 10.2.1"

As I stated in post 2, this just doesn't jive at all. The first statements and the first half of the last statement about the signal from off the PP, BUT, that can be negated if they did what was required by last year's interpretation. Even the AR's contradict the interpretation. Basically, as long as you are legal at some point, you are legal. So what really changed?

Scooby Mon Sep 24, 2018 07:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1024818)

All the pitchers that I have seen this fall are only taking signs from on the pitcher's plate. So, a another pause is not required. And they have not been illegal.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Sep 24, 2018 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 1024823)
As I stated in post 2, this just doesn't jive at all. The first statements and the first half of the last statement about the signal from off the PP, BUT, that can be negated if they did what was required by last year's interpretation. Even the AR's contradict the interpretation. Basically, as long as you are legal at some point, you are legal. So what really changed?

IMO, it seems that this "added" level of interpretation simply addresses annoying coaches who probably whined that the pitcher was taking a signal from some place other than the PP. It doesn't change the rule or even the interpretation, just placates whining coaches.

RKBUmp Mon Sep 24, 2018 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby (Post 1024828)
All the pitchers that I have seen this fall are only taking signs from on the pitcher's plate. So, a another pause is not required. And they have not been illegal.

That is not what you said in your first post.

The game moves quicker, as once the pitcher takes the sign she goes into her motion. Not, step on the plate, pause and then go into her motion.

The interpretation that has been issued requires the pitcher to still pause and take a signal after engaging the pitching plate. Your original statement would seem to say regardless of where the pitcher is once she has taken the signal she can immediately go into pitching motion.

RKBUmp Mon Sep 24, 2018 09:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Slick (Post 1024823)
So why makes these two statements in the new interpretation (not a new rule):
-If the pitcher is taking a signal from an arm band, the needs to be done while she is in contact with the pitcher's plate.
-If a pitcher is taking a visual signal from a coach or player, this needs to be done while she is in contact with the pitcher's plate.

And this:
-Any time a pitcher takes a signal from somewhere other than the pitcher's plate (with hands separated*), it is an illegal pitch . . . (my emphasis added) "unless she also takes another signal while in the position required in rule 10.2.1"

As I said on a different forum, leave it to NCAA to take a very simple statement of the pitcher must take or simulate taking a signal after engaging the pitching plate and turn it into a convoluted 3 paragraph statement that contradicts itself several times. A whole bunch of confusing wording that changed nothing on how the rule is enforced.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Sep 25, 2018 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1024831)
As I said on a different forum, leave it to NCAA to take a very simple statement of the pitcher must take or simulate taking a signal after engaging the pitching plate and turn it into a convoluted 3 paragraph statement that contradicts itself several times. A whole bunch of confusing wording that changed nothing on how the rule is enforced.

Well, we all know that the NCAA does at least one thing to the rule book each year. Sometimes I wonder if they don't do that just to justify their committee's existence.