The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS--Hypothetical no interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103763-nfhs-hypothetical-no-interference.html)

fredhjr Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:47pm

NFHS--Hypothetical no interference

NFHS--R1 on first, less than two outs. B2 hits ball to F4. R1 and F4 are really close together and the ball is deflected. FU calls R1 out for interference, B2 is safe at 1st. Offensive coach says it appeared that the ball was deflected by F4's glove, not R1. PU and FU confer. PU says the ball was, indeed, deflected by F4, not R1. Can this call be reversed? I understand this is not a true appeal.

CecilOne Sun Apr 15, 2018 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredhjr (Post 1020787)
NFHS--R1 on first, less than two outs. B2 hits ball to F4. R1 and F4 are really close together and the ball is deflected. FU calls R1 out for interference, B2 is safe at 1st. Offensive coach says it appeared that the ball was deflected by F4's glove, not R1. PU and FU confer. PU says the ball was, indeed, deflected by F4, not R1. Can this call be reversed? I understand this is not a true appeal.

The call can be changed by the calling umpire with better information or knowledge from a partner. Of course the other factor is whether the R1 proximity caused the deflection.

The difficulty would be deciding what to do with R1. You must decide whether R1 would be safe at 2nd or out if there was no INT call. Umpire jeopardy is based on judgment of what the mistake caused.

Skahtboi Sun Apr 15, 2018 02:39pm

My problem here is why did the BU call INT unless he clearly saw something being done by R1 that would denote INT??

fredhjr Sun Apr 15, 2018 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skahtboi (Post 1020789)
My problem here is why did the BU call INT unless he clearly saw something being done by R1 that would denote INT??

Agreed. Brain cramp, assumption, anticipation. Any of those could come into play. Remember this was a hypothetical. After the inning the umpires discussed the play and how difficult it was to determine interference or not. Started them wondering--what if the wrong call was made? Could it be undone?

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 16, 2018 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredhjr (Post 1020790)
Agreed. Brain cramp, assumption, anticipation. Any of those could come into play. Remember this was a hypothetical. After the inning the umpires discussed the play and how difficult it was to determine interference or not. Started them wondering--what if the wrong call was made? Could it be undone?

Absolutely. To correct, R1 would be awarded 2B, BR to 1B

Manny A Mon Apr 16, 2018 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredhjr (Post 1020787)

Don't get hung up on something needing an "appeal". This is nothing more than the coach asking the calling umpire to check with his/her partner because he/she may have missed something vital during the play. The coach is allowed to do that.