The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Some Interference/Obstruction opinions please (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103733-some-interference-obstruction-opinions-please.html)

sp279 Sun Apr 01, 2018 03:13pm

No reason for rants, guys. It was just a question like one of you said, seems to always come up. Tired of hearing from my same local group so that's why I expanded it out to you'all.
The odd part is people seem to take rules of things that happen at the plate more with more vigor. I know (and agree it's obstruction), but the same people that would call it that way at home DON'T call it that way in the field, i.e.- runner plasters a 2nd baseman about to field a grounder. To me there is no difference. You are allowed to alter your base running to avoid interfering with a fielder making a play. The same applies at home. Just because it's in the field rather then at home where it could affect a run should not change the way it's called. Just sayin'...

Little Jimmy Mon Apr 02, 2018 06:31am

For what it’s worth, there is a difference in your stated scenario. A second baseman about to field a grounder is making an initial play and is therefore protected. The catcher, unless she is making an initial play (fielding a bunt for example) cannot hinder the runners chosen path.

Andy Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:35am

IMO, part of the issue is that most, it not all of us grew up watching baseball where, until recently, it was part of the game to plow the catcher and try to dislodge the ball. Since softball is "baseball for girls" to a significant number of people, some of that mentality still exists.

I believe that is why we have umpires that view a play at the plate differently than a play at any other base.

Big Slick Mon Apr 02, 2018 01:17pm

SP, I'm going to break down each part of your statement. No rants by me. Also, if you are a member of the chapter I think you are, your rule interpreter and the district interpreter will echo exactly what I'm saying.

Also, read both replies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp279 (Post 1020036)
For years now, every year we seem to have this debate. Referring to NFHS fastpitch here. You've all probably answered this 100's of times, but I just re-joined after a few years.

Welcome back, just remember that a lot of language may have changed, so. . .
Quote:

I've always tried to simplify a play at the plate. Catcher has the ball, she has a right to the basepath and the tag out on a runner coming home.
Going to interject here. Forget about the plate; forget about the bases. Make it this simple:
-When does the fielder have "rights"? a) when fielding a batted ball; b) when in possession of the ball.

Notice this isn't about "blocking a base/plate" or "about to catch a ball."

Now, if a or b isn't satisfied, then the runner has the rights. Pretty simple, now let's look at your statement:

Quote:

Some argue it is interference on the runner if the ball is coming into the catcher but not yet in her glove and the runner makes contact.
And they would be wrong. Ask yourself: who has the "rights" in this play? Is the catcher fielding a batted ball? No. Is the fielder in possession of the ball? No. Then the runner has the rights. Violation is on the catcher, and this play is obstruction.

Quote:

Some still call interference if the ball is 10 feet away "Because the catcher was about to make a play".
And those people are also wrong as described above.

Quote:

Some don't call interference (myself included) if the catcher doesn't have the ball and the runner makes contact.
Good, because the catcher doesn't have the "rights" without the ball.

Quote:

Likewise, if the catcher without the ball is blocking the base path without the ball I call obstruction.
Not entirely correct for NFHS play. The positioning of the fielder/catcher is not obstruction in and of itself. While the fielder/catcher doesn't have the "rights" without the ball or fielding a ground ball, the runner must be hindered or impeded. The latter part is the most important, for the runner's "rights" must be violated (by being hindered or impeded).

Quote:

Can I hear some of your opinions on how you handle these situations?
Thank you

Big Slick Mon Apr 02, 2018 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp279 (Post 1020174)
No reason for rants, guys. It was just a question like one of you said, seems to always come up. Tired of hearing from my same local group so that's why I expanded it out to you'all.

Just a friendly follow up. Remember your local people may still be wrong (but your chapter guy is pretty good).

Quote:

The odd part is people seem to take rules of things that happen at the plate more with more vigor.
It should be called the same anywhere on the field. That's why I said in my first reply about not thinking about the plate or any particular base.

Quote:

I know (and agree it's obstruction), but the same people that would call it that way at home DON'T call it that way in the field, i.e.- runner plasters a 2nd baseman about to field a grounder. To me there is no difference.
The fielder has the "rights" to field a ground ball. The fielder's rights are violated by the runner. This is interference. Period.

Quote:

You are allowed to alter your base running to avoid interfering with a fielder making a play. The same applies at home. Just because it's in the field rather then at home where it could affect a run should not change the way it's called. Just sayin'...
The base runner must yield to the defense who is fielding a batted ball, that's the fielder's right. Same if the catcher has possession. That's why I use the rules for interference/obstruction without stating a base or location on the field.