The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

NHFS - Lineup card must list all players on a team's roster. True or false?

Looking for opinions. I disagree with the Fed test writers, but I'd like to hear what the board says.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

At the risk of incurring a warning, the coach might not include every eligible substitute.

If a player wasn't scheduled to be at the game showed up mid-game, the coach could add her name to the lineup card. And that would result in a warning. If another player showed up or there was some other lineup card violation, the coach would be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game.

So just reading Article 3 as is, I'd say the answer would be yes to including everyone. But I'll second your concept that sometimes we can argue for different answers.

The penalty is rather mild, considering that NFHS stresses safety and participation for the sport.

We had a question regarding a suspended game from early in the season that was continued late in the season. We were told not to penalize for additions to the lineup cards when the game resumed. Players might not be available anymore due to various reasons, and new players may have been added. E.G. some players brought up from JV to Varsity.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 3 article 3 answers your question. The lineup card shall include each starting player and each eligible substitute.

As stated above, the coach can choose to not list all the players but if he tries to add them.later there are penalties associated with it.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Rule 3 article 3 answers your question. The lineup card shall include each starting player and each eligible substitute.

As stated above, the coach can choose to not list all the players but if he tries to add them.later there are penalties associated with it.
Player Suzy Q is out sick. She is on my team's roster. As a coach, I do not put her on the lineup card. She does not play. Is this legal?

If so, it would seem that the statement "all players on the roster must be on the lineup card" is false. Even if I choose to add her later, all I earn is a team warning. If I'm overthinking this, just tell me.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

You are over thinking it, the answer is true.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS tests are notorious for "almost true" or "it depends" questions (which, by logic, means false) where the "correct" answer is "true".

If you can find a sentence in the NFHS rule book that is nearly word for word with the question, the answer is "true" regardless of exceptions or logic.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

If a coach handed you a line-up card with 13 names on it and there were only 9 players present, are you accepting it?
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Yes I accept it.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If a coach handed you a line-up card with 13 names on it and there were only 9 players present, are you accepting it?
There are a lot of those, especially with coaches who use preprinted lineup forms and fill in that day's players.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

don't think I've ever counted the number of players in the dugout....
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
don't think I've ever counted the number of players in the dugout....
Then how do you know they have enough to start?
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Absolutely. It is usual that the JV team is playing on another near-by field and the coach will give some of the JV players varsity playing time if conditions allow or require. So, it is usual that some of the listed subs are on the JV team.

Now, admittedly, having ALL of the subs on the JV team would not be expected, but I'd allow it.
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've always told coaches that unless you have a participation rule from the league or school, list your entire school roster if you have to as you never get penalized by having too many players listed. Especially if you have to suspend a game to be resumed as you cannot change the lineup(may vary state to state here).
Old Mon Feb 12, 2018, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Not a fan. Ever have a coach try to sub someone who was not there?

IMO, it just isn't necessary to have an entire roster listed on a line-up card. Also, I believe it is ludicrous to penalize a team in any manner for adding a roster player to the line-up card.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2018, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not a fan. Ever have a coach try to sub someone who was not there?

IMO, it just isn't necessary to have an entire roster listed on a line-up card. Also, I believe it is ludicrous to penalize a team in any manner for adding a roster player to the line-up card.
And NOW we get back to my original thought...it's not necessary, except for the fact that NFHS rules require it. I missed this test question. I answered False.