The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Training a new umpire (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103412-training-new-umpire.html)

teebob21 Wed Jan 24, 2018 08:10pm

Training a new umpire

Where should I start with bringing a brand new umpire into the game? When I saw brand new, I specifically mean my daughter, who will be 13 this summer. She used to play, but after a couple too many HBP's and a ground-ball bad hop to the face, she no longer does. We've worked a handful of games together with her on the bases, and her improvement game by game has been amazing. I registered her with USA Softball this year.

I started when I was 14...and I knew nothing about softball beyond out/safe, fair/foul, and ball/strike. I know (now) what I had wish I had been taught in my early years, especially the pitching rules which I didn't fully understand until my 3rd or 4th year. I'll cover that with her early.

Where would you all start when training a completely green, young official?

IRISHMAFIA Wed Jan 24, 2018 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1015433)
Where should I start with bringing a brand new umpire into the game? When I saw brand new, I specifically mean my daughter, who will be 13 this summer. She used to play, but after a couple too many HBP's and a ground-ball bad hop to the face, she no longer does. We've worked a handful of games together with her on the bases, and her improvement game by game has been amazing. I registered her with USA Softball this year.

I started when I was 14...and I knew nothing about softball beyond out/safe, fair/foul, and ball/strike. I know (now) what I had wish I had been taught in my early years, especially the pitching rules which I didn't fully understand until my 3rd or 4th year. I'll cover that with her early.

Where would you all start when training a completely green, young official?

This is hard, but if her game is going to be USA for now, I would go out of my way to not include any other rule sets. Eliminates any confusion of which rule applies in a particular game. I've always suggested a new umpire pick a game to concentrate solely on that game to one set of rules down the first year and then move on to other games/rule sets the following year or when s/he is comfortable in doing so.

Tru_in_Blu Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:09pm

Well, she shouldn't be working to understand PhD level 2-ump vs 3-ump mechanics. She should be working to finish grade school and high school level stuff.

My point is "somewhere at the beginning". That somewhere will differ by individual. My son at 10 years old knew the concept of tagging up and knowing when to run and when to tag. And understood the basic concept of the IF. We have 10 year umpires who screw up force plays.

If you were teaching her to be an auto mechanic, you might start with how to change a flat tire. My daughter needed help when she got a flat. And then maybe an oil change, filling the washer fluid, changing wiper blades. It depends upon how comfortable an individual is with what's being taught. (Then she'd turn into Ms. Vito in "My Cousin Vinny".) ;)

I recall a couple of SAP software implementations at 2 different companies that I worked at that was like trying to drink from a fire hose. Neither implementation was very successful with people making a lot of mistakes. And the training that was provided was what I'll refer to as "sunny day scenarios". We didn't have alternatives for when something didn't work properly. How should we "undo" it, could we ignore various error messages, etc.

Since your daughter played the game, that is a definite advantage. Getting her behind the plate will likely be a bit stressful for a while. Lots of stuff to learn and remember.

If there is a junior league that she could work games, that could help.

One more thought is to get her a mentor (other than yourself) to help with her training. Sometimes it's not good to be discussing what things didn't go exactly right on the ride home. Just sayin'. You will become the veteran ump she'll go to with questions and scenarios.

And maybe get her an account on Officiating.com.

teebob21 Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1015443)
This is hard, but if her game is going to be USA for now, I would go out of my way to not include any other rule sets.

That's the plan. I learned ASA backwards and forwards before ever working another ruleset.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1015446)
Well, she shouldn't be working to understand PhD level 2-ump vs 3-ump mechanics.

Agreed. 2-man is where it's at. That being said, I've worked some 3 man games where she's been in attendance. Her question postgame after I was U3: "Why are you so deep in B with a runner on?" (1B) Someone was watching the umpires and not the game...

Quote:

And maybe get her an account on Officiating.com.

Soon...

EDIT: I had her read and review rules 6 & 7 tonight (pitching and batting). One night of study and she knew all the pitching preliminaries. I was only able to trip her up on a scenario where the pitcher strides outside the 24 inch lane. WOOO!

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 25, 2018 09:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1015449)

Agreed. 2-man is where it's at. That being said, I've worked some 3 man games where she's been in attendance. Her question postgame after I was U3: "Why are you so deep in B with a runner on?" (1B) Someone was watching the umpires and not the game...

I'm still trying to figure out why U3 goes to a B position at any time :)

CecilOne Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1015485)
I'm still trying to figure out why U3 goes to a B position at any time :)

I guess that means you are qualified to teach mechanics. :p :p ;) :D

Depends on who said "B position", age 13 or the vet. :rolleyes:

CecilOne Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:59am

Quote:

One more thought is to get her a mentor (other than yourself) to help with her training.

I was thinking exactly that! :D

There might be someone around who is as good, but they have to care about her.

CecilOne Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1015449)
. I was only able to trip her up on a scenario where the pitcher strides outside the 24 inch lane. WOOO!

I have new umpire classes coming up. Please send me the scenario.

CecilOne Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:05am

General comments for newbie:
Understanding rules and concepts is most important. We will all have to apply a rule that does not fit verbatim to the book.
Let her apply the simple ones a few times before getting into the subtle and subjective aspects.
The hard part is recognizing what we vets take for granted, but others don't

Tru_in_Blu Thu Jan 25, 2018 01:23pm

Something one of the UICs that recruited me to the dark side told me once that stuck with me.

You could have a very rules knowledgeable official who often gets in trouble because he's what I've learned in this forum to be an "OOO".

Or you could have a less knowledgeable official who has better people skills and game management skills that can more easily overcome a bad call.

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1015542)
Something one of the UICs that recruited me to the dark side told me once that stuck with me.

You could have a very rules knowledgeable official who often gets in trouble because he's what I've learned in this forum to be an "OOO".

Or you could have a less knowledgeable official who has better people skills and game management skills that can more easily overcome a bad call.

Or you have a popular umpire (with the players, coaches and fans) who umpires solely reliant on his people skills and is more of a go along to get along (GAGA) when it comes to officiating the game. Unfortunately, s/he gets rulings wrong, but negotiates his way out of arguments.

The real problem is because his has become "likable" to the players and coaches, they believe his interpretations are always right and any upirewho contradicts them is always wrong.

Do NOT get this type of umpire as a mentor. :)