The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   USA change 2 - time limits (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103141-usa-change-2-time-limits.html)

CecilOne Tue Feb 06, 2018 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1016398)
Time does not expire until the end of the "and then play one more ... inning", so, unfortunately, the game has not ended in a tie until after that!

"the time limit will be 1-Hour and 20 minutes "

It seems to me that "time" has expired after the 1 + 20, so the "additional" inning should use the tie breaker rule, if needed.

Dakota Tue Feb 06, 2018 06:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1016401)
"the time limit will be 1-Hour and 20 minutes "

It seems to me that "time" has expired after the 1 + 20, so the "additional" inning should use the tie breaker rule, if needed.

No period there...

"the time limit will be 1-Hour and 20 minutes and finish the inning and then play one more complete inning, or half inning if the home team is ahead" THEN the period! ;)

What you have quoted would be a drop dead clock! ;)

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:33pm

I think y'all need to get the word "additional" out of your head. It is NOT an additional inning, it is the next inning, nothing more.

AtlUmpSteve Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1016426)
I think y'all need to get the word "additional" out of your head. It is NOT an additional inning, it is the next inning, nothing more.

Piggyback thought; think "regulation".

A regulation game is when ......

A) 7 innings with a team ahead,
B) If tied after 7 innings, the tiebreaker rule applies,
C) A called game after 5 innings, etc.,
D) When a time limit has FULLY expired with a team ahead,
E) If tied after time limit has expired, the tiebreaker rule applies.

To be considered regulation as in "D", there must be one full regulation inning after 80 minutes. The inning AFTER THAT would be a tiebreaker inning, as in "E".

CecilOne Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1016426)

Using that word to be clear about which inning is meant, as it is identified in the book.

CecilOne Wed Feb 07, 2018 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1016428)
Piggyback thought; think "regulation".

A regulation game is when ......

A) 7 innings with a team ahead,
B) If tied after 7 innings, the tiebreaker rule applies,
C) A called game after 5 innings, etc.,
D) When a time limit has FULLY expired with a team ahead,
E) If tied after time limit has expired, the tiebreaker rule applies.

To be considered regulation as in "D", there must be one full regulation inning after 80 minutes. The inning AFTER THAT would be a tiebreaker inning, as in "E".

It seems to me the "time limit" has expired after the 1+20, rather then an inning later. The purpose of the tie breaker rule and the purpose of reducing the time limit by 20 minutes is to get a win/lose result expeditiously.

I don't see "fully" in the rule or any specific like the time limit has expired and the additional inning completed, although I wonder if "still tied" means that.

Dakota Wed Feb 07, 2018 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1016465)
It seems to me the "time limit" has expired after the 1+20, rather then an inning later. The purpose of the tie breaker rule and the purpose of reducing the time limit by 20 minutes is to get a win/lose result expeditiously.

I don't see "fully" in the rule or any specific like the time limit has expired and the additional inning completed, although I wonder if "still tied" means that.

I guess I don't understand your confusion.

In the old rule, time expires after x-time, complete the inning.
In the new rule, time expires after x-time, complete the inning and the next.

Now, what happens if time expires at the exact instant the 3rd out is recorded? Do you play one inning or two? :D

teebob21 Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 1016505)
I guess I don't understand your confusion.

In the old rule, time expires after x-time, complete the inning.
In the new rule, time expires after x-time, complete the inning and the next.

Now, what happens if time expires at the exact instant the 3rd out is recorded? Do you play one inning or two? :D

One.

Under the old rule, the game is over, as there was no time left when the 3rd out was recorded. Under the new rule, we play one more.

Dakota Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1016517)
One.

Under the old rule, the game is over, as there was no time left when the 3rd out was recorded. Under the new rule, we play one more.

OK, 1 second AFTER the 3rd out was recorded? ;)

robbie Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:56pm

2 more innings.
That's why "+ 1" inning rules are bad

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie (Post 1016527)
2 more innings.
That's why "+ 1" inning rules are bad

No, that is not true and there is no problem with them.

CecilOne Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1016465)
It seems to me the "time limit" has expired after the 1+20, rather than an inning later. The purpose of the tie breaker rule and the purpose of reducing the time limit by 20 minutes is to get a win/lose result expeditiously.

There are no clarifications posted yet.
The rule literally says "tied after the time limit expires".
Does the sequence of sentences and the word "still" control the application of the rule?