The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
USA change 1 - inspections

Rule 3, Section 7C: (JO Only) All equipment that shall be inspected by the umpire is to be placed outside the dugout/bench area prior to the start of the game for pregame inspection.

Comment: Requires teams to put all equipment to be inspected by the umpires outside the dugout/bench area before the game begins.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Rule 3, Section 7C: (JO Only) All equipment that shall be inspected by the umpire is to be placed outside the dugout/bench area prior to the start of the game for pregame inspection.

Comment: Requires teams to put all equipment to be inspected by the umpires outside the dugout/bench area before the game begins.
That is another follow-the-leader joke that just places the umpire in that much more a precarious position throughout the game.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

IMO checking equipment is a joke ...
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
That is another follow-the-leader joke that just places the umpire in that much more a precarious position throughout the game.
Can you elaborate? (About the precarious position; I get the follow-the-leader comment, I think ...)
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Can you elaborate? (About the precarious position; I get the follow-the-leader comment, I think ...)
Does a cheat show you his hand before cheating? If someone knows a piece of equipment isn't going to pass inspection, they probably aren't going to offer it up.

The precarious portion, IMO, is the imminent questioning of equipment during a game and liability risk should a non-inspected piece of equipment enter the game unknown to the umpire and a player is injured. Twenty years ago, I would have scoffed at the supposition I just offered, but not in today's world.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 04:06pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I find it interesting USA is adding this after NFHS quickly scrapped it after just one season.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I find it interesting USA is adding this after NFHS quickly scrapped it after just one season.
Equipment checks (hats & bats) were part of the HS game for a long time, but there was no explicit requirement to have the equipment outside the dugout. I'm just glad they removed the inspection requirement...I believe the coach should bear all the responsibility and liability for ensuring players are legally and properly equipped. If only umpires were required to ask the head coach before each game ...
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Equipment checks (hats & bats) were part of the HS game for a long time, but there was no explicit requirement to have the equipment outside the dugout. I'm just glad they removed the inspection requirement...I believe the coach should bear all the responsibility and liability for ensuring players are legally and properly equipped. If only umpires were required to ask the head coach before each game ...
You cannot compare NFHS to any other association on this matter. Liability assignment isn't close.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2017, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You cannot compare NFHS to any other association on this matter. Liability assignment isn't close.
I wish I understood why this was. Whether it's a rec-level club team, a high school team, or a D1 NCAA team, everyone (including the officials) is there because they (or their parent/guardian) choose to be. If a participant is injured while playing legally, that is a risk they *should* be willing to assume in exchange for participation. If anyone chooses to cheat, and a game participant is injured due to that cheating, the cheater *should* be liable, as should the head coach of that team, they the players are minors.

I started working HS wrestling last year...and I was on the mat for a gruesome injury when a JV wrestler broke his arm in three places. At no point was I concerned that I would somehow be accused of being liable for his injury. I wish this was the case in softball. IMO, with some obvious exceptions, at no point should an official of any sport be liable for the actions or consequences of the choices that game participants make.

I know this is not the world we live in, though. It doesn't mean I like it.

Last edited by teebob21; Fri Nov 17, 2017 at 12:50am.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2017, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stat-Man View Post
I figure that will cause some confusion.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2017, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I wish I understood why this was. Whether it's a rec-level club team, a high school team, or a D1 NCAA team, everyone (including the officials) is there because they (or their parent/guardian) choose to be. If a participant is injured while playing legally, that is a risk they *should* be willing to assume in exchange for participation. If anyone chooses to cheat, and a game participant is injured due to that cheating, the cheater *should* be liable, as should the head coach of that team, they the players are minors.

I started working HS wrestling last year...and I was on the mat for a gruesome injury when a JV wrestler broke his arm in three places. At no point was I concerned that I would somehow be accused of being liable for his injury. I wish this was the case in softball. IMO, with some obvious exceptions, at no point should an official of any sport be liable for the actions or consequences of the choices that game participants make.

I know this is not the world we live in, though. It doesn't mean I like it.
In HS, the coaches are employees with the same liability and authority status of a teacher. HS events are an extension of the classroom. An incident during HS athletic event would be handled the same as a similar event in the classroom. There is no question of authority, the HS is responsible for the athlete and coaching staff and should cover any issue involving liability.

In ASA/USA, U-Trip, NSA, PGF, etc. the coach doesn't carry the same legal authority as that of a HS teacher or coach and would be open to a wide range of issues involving liability should the be an issue involving injury to a player or another coach.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2017, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I figure that will cause some confusion.
I don't know the exact percentage, but I've always considered NFHS & USA to be about 95% the same. So we're already having "some confusion". Some of our guys consistently mess up the games they're working because they forget which hat they have on.

Heck, we can't even get some of our officials to wear the correct color t-shirt under their powder blue shirt. (NH wants navy shirt under powder blue; USA wants white under powder blue.) Then there are the outliers who show up with either red or green t-shirts under powder blue.
Old Fri Nov 17, 2017, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does a cheat show you his hand before cheating? If someone knows a piece of equipment isn't going to pass inspection, they probably aren't going to offer it up.
Such a cheat can also hide the bat during in-dugout inspections, too.

Quote:
The precarious portion, IMO, is the imminent questioning of equipment during a game and liability risk should a non-inspected piece of equipment enter the game unknown to the umpire and a player is injured. Twenty years ago, I would have scoffed at the supposition I just offered, but not in today's world.
You don't protect yourself from this with an inspection anyway.

Here's a radical suggestion for youth fastpitch: remove detection of illegal equipment from the umpire's responsibility altogether. Make it purely the coach's / parent's / player's responsibility. Opposing coaches can protest if they want the gear inspected; umpires stay out of it. IOW, treat it like player eligibility.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2017, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's a radical suggestion for youth fastpitch: remove detection of illegal equipment from the umpire's responsibility altogether. Make it purely the coach's / parent's / player's responsibility. Opposing coaches can protest if they want the gear inspected; umpires stay out of it. IOW, treat it like player eligibility.
yes!
Old Sat Nov 18, 2017, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Such a cheat can also hide the bat during in-dugout inspections, too.

You don't protect yourself from this with an inspection anyway.

Because, whether we like it or not, the game official will always be near the top of list of any litigation and there is no one who can prevent it.