The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   USA Rule Changes (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103065-usa-rule-changes.html)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:12pm

USA Rule Changes

Seems to be missing this year. No one from this board at the meeting?

Andy Mon Oct 30, 2017 03:31pm

Due to some changes in my neighborhood, I did not go to Council Meeting this year.

I got wind of some of the proposed rule changes, but no word on any outcome of the vote. I guess I'll just have to wait like everybody else....

Manny A Mon Oct 30, 2017 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 1010800)
I got wind of some of the proposed rule changes, but no word on any outcome of the vote. I guess I'll just have to wait like everybody else....

Anything earth-shattering with the proposed changes? Are they doing like the NCAA and changing the penalty of an Illegal Pitch to only a ball on the batter (no base runner advances), for example? Or are you sworn to secrecy? :p

3afan Tue Oct 31, 2017 06:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1010801)
..... changing the penalty of an Illegal Pitch to only a ball on the batter (no base runner advances) .....

that would be awesome

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 31, 2017 08:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 1010821)
that would be awesome

It was proposed in ASA about 4-5 years ago. It went nowhere.

Manny A Tue Oct 31, 2017 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1010824)
It was proposed in ASA about 4-5 years ago. It went nowhere.

Perhaps. But now there's precedence.

Of course, NCAA also changed the LBE violation a couple of years ago to a delayed-dead ball to allow the defense to take the option of the play if it's to their advantage. That hasn't trickled down.

CecilOne Tue Oct 31, 2017 09:15am

Which would they be trying to do?
1 - to have no significant penalty, so as to accept illegal pitching as in NCAA :rolleyes:
2 - reduce the reluctance of many umpires to be honest and call the illegals :o
3 - promote good sportsmanship by reducing coach objections :p

Andy Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1010801)
Anything earth-shattering with the proposed changes? Are they doing like the NCAA and changing the penalty of an Illegal Pitch to only a ball on the batter (no base runner advances), for example? Or are you sworn to secrecy? :p

Nothing earth shattering....like removing the base advance on an illegal pitch.

Here are some of the significant (IMO) proposals:

If a base distance or pitching distance is found to be incorrect, wait until the completion of the complete inning to fix it.

Change the time limit in Championship play to no new inning plus one more complete inning

Allow the coach to make a dead ball appeal

FP pitcher must bring hands together for minimum of 2 seconds, maximum of 10 seconds before pitch

Some other stuff to clean up and clarify the "bat the roster" rules

jmkupka Tue Oct 31, 2017 01:55pm

I like NCAA's version... 2 seconds between stepping on PP and bringing hands together.

CecilOne Tue Oct 31, 2017 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 1010843)
FP pitcher must bring hands together for minimum of 2 seconds, maximum of 10 seconds before pitch

Interesting that above we discussed weakening the IP rule;
then this idea which would make it more difficult for the pitcher to be legal :( and
much more difficult for umpires to judge, let alone convince anyone it was not 2 seconds. :eek:

CecilOne Tue Oct 31, 2017 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy (Post 1010843)
clarify the "bat the roster" rules

yeah! :d

CecilOne Tue Oct 31, 2017 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 1010843)

Should be, and should be amusing with some coaches (the babysitter ones). :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 31, 2017 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1010826)
Perhaps. But now there's precedence.

Which is a crock. ASA, now USA have always thumped their chest as the world-wide leader in the game of softball. Well, that has disappeared over the past decade.

The argument which had some strong roots out of CA was that unlike a balk in baseball, an IP had zero effect on the runner, so there shouldn't be a penalty benefiting the runner

Quote:

If a base distance or pitching distance is found to be incorrect, wait until the completion of the complete inning to fix it.
Don't have a horse in this race, but I'm not a fan of unncessarily keeping the pitcher or runner closer to the batter than necessary, assuming that may be the issue.

Quote:

Change the time limit in Championship play to no new inning plus one more complete inning
Proposed a couple times before, and I've supported it for as long as it has been around. It is a great idea that takes the playing-the-clock strategy out of the game

Quote:

Not a bad idea, think it would help.

Quote:

This has been the rule in international ball for a few years now. Another move where ASA/USA has missed an opportunity to take the lead in softball in this country.
Quote:

Some other stuff to clean up and clarify the "bat the roster" rules
Never saw the need for this at any level of championship play. Willing to bet they will screw up the rules that much more trying to massage this one :)

CecilOne Tue Nov 21, 2017 04:49pm

When I posted the 4 changes, I hoped we would dissect them for
- possible flaws or interpretation issues (not TWP)
- how to clarify them to coaches/umpires who need it
- for some of us, how to teach in clinics & new ump classes