The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Proper Mechanics - Infield Fly / 2-Man Crew (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103044-proper-mechanics-infield-fly-2-man-crew.html)

SoftballGuy247 Mon Oct 23, 2017 08:04am

Proper Mechanics - Infield Fly / 2-Man Crew

Could someone explain the proper mechanics for calling of an infield fly with a two-man crew? Is the call supposed to come from the HP umpire? What should be the role of the base umpire? Finally, is it acceptable for an umpire to only point, and not verbalize the infield fly call?

IRISHMAFIA Mon Oct 23, 2017 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftballGuy247 (Post 1010458)
Could someone explain the proper mechanics for calling of an infield fly with a two-man crew? Is the call supposed to come from the HP umpire? What should be the role of the base umpire? Finally, is it acceptable for an umpire to only point, and not verbalize the infield fly call?

It is the PU's responsibility and there is always, ALWAYS a verbal.

That said, there is nothing saying the BU cannot make that ruling though it is frowned upon in most cases. If pre-gamed, I have no problem with the BU assisting the PU. Some believe the BU should help in indicating the position (depth) of the ball as it relates to the infield, but that really shouldn't be a concern with an IF call

Manny A Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:18pm

In the USA Softball Umpire Manual, under General Responsibilities Both Slow Pitch and Fast Pitch, the first section on Infield Fly says, "It is the plate umpire's responsibility to call the Infield Fly." Nothing is provided in that section that tells the BU what he/she can/should/must do if the PU fails to call it. And because of that, you have some umpire trainers and evaluators insist that the BU is not allowed to say or do anything, period.

In the NCAA CCA Manual, on the other hand, under the Signals section (with all of the PlayPics showing approved umpire mechanics, it states, "If the plate umpire does not make the call (forgets or is not certain of the call) and a base umpire, after eye contact communication with the plate umpire, is certain the ball is an infield fly, the base umpire should then verbalize, 'Infield Fly'."

So I guess unless you do college ball, you really need to reach out to your powers-that-be to understand what the BU should do in this situation, because it really depends how those folks feel about it. Some will say it's okay to make the call, others will say the BU should help by pointing up to key his/her PU partner to call it, and yet others will say the BU has no business doing anything.

CecilOne Mon Oct 23, 2017 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1010475)
In the USA Softball Umpire Manual, under General Responsibilities Both Slow Pitch and Fast Pitch, the first section on Infield Fly says, "It is the plate umpire's responsibility to call the Infield Fly." Nothing is provided in that section that tells the BU what he/she can/should/must do if the PU fails to call it. And because of that, you have some umpire trainers and evaluators insist that the BU is not allowed to say or do anything, period.

In the NCAA CCA Manual, on the other hand, under the Signals section (with all of the PlayPics showing approved umpire mechanics, it states, "If the plate umpire does not make the call (forgets or is not certain of the call) and a base umpire, after eye contact communication with the plate umpire, is certain the ball is an infield fly, the base umpire should then verbalize, 'Infield Fly'."

So I guess unless you do college ball, you really need to reach out to your powers-that-be to understand what the BU should do in this situation, because it really depends how those folks feel about it. Some will say it's okay to make the call, others will say the BU should help by pointing up to key his/her PU partner to call it, and yet others will say the BU has no business doing anything.

Is this another case of "if it does not say no", the yes is ok.
I just point up to help the PU judge if it looks infielder.

SoftballGuy247 Mon Oct 23, 2017 02:40pm

The scenario is that the PU fails to call infield fly, and the BU points, but does not verbalize the call. Ball hits the ground, and all runners attempt to advance. What should be the outcome?

AtlUmpSteve Mon Oct 23, 2017 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftballGuy247 (Post 1010458)
Finally, is it acceptable for an umpire to only point, and not verbalize the infield fly call?

Am I the only person who saw this? No Umpire Manual in print for softball, be it USA/ASA, NFHS, or even NCAA (2018 not yet in print) describes the umpire signal for an infield fly as a point. Nor do any show an umpire pointing in their signal pics; it is a raised closed fist!! How did this ever become acceptable?

Yet, in a total statement of "I give up", the 2018 NCAA mechanic will now, for the first time since they have published any guidance, be a point. Quite obviously, with that and the new 2 out and timing play signals, we either need more baseball mechanics, or simply are defeated by those that have continued to use baseball mechanics even when they are not the same.

While the umpire manuals state that the PU is responsible to call the infield fly, none of them specifically state, so far as I am aware, that the BU may not signal. Anyone that has umpires for any length of time has had a partner that either 1) lost track of the outs, or 2) forgot the runners' locations, or 3) lost sight of the ball in the sun, or 4) lost sight of the ball in the lights, or 5) didn't judge the infield fly quickly enough, or 6) simply lost it.

In any realistic scale of good/acceptable/bad/worse/horrible, and as related to the ability to survive, only a total moron would believe it is better for the BU to refuse to bail out the crew in an obvious infield fly rule situation when the PU freezes. This is a case where survival mechanics need to kick in; BU should hesitate to allow the PU the opportunity to make the call when the ball is at it's highest point, but if the ball is coming down and still no call on an obvious situation, I will at least raise the closed fist, and if possible make a verbal call, too. The teams deserve the right call in a timely manner; and I can promise you they don't care even one little bit which umpire calls or signals if they get the protection they deserve. This procedure is more right than ever wrong no matter which set of mechanics you are supposed to be using.,

What happens if it isn't called at all, by either? In all but NCAA, the umpires should retroactively apply the infield fly rule as long as the failure to call it is not judgment of routine versus difficult. The BU signal, added to the standard responsibility of both teams to know the situation, even when the umpire err's, is enough to enforce the infield fly rule; the batter is out, the runners' attempts to advance is at their own risk. If both umpires FULLY blow it, retroactively want to apply the rule, and that failure puts either or both teams in jeopardy; well, there's a rule for that, too.

In the NCAA, if the infield fly is not called while the ball is in flight, then it isn't an infield fly. Again, the signal is sufficient to enforce the rule (I have never seen a case where both teams and fans are so silent that you could not say you called it with the signal, but I guess you didn't hear me over everyone else). Coaches are watching, too, not just listening; it is their responsibility to direct their runners, not the umpires' responsibility.

CecilOne Mon Oct 23, 2017 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoftballGuy247 (Post 1010481)
The scenario is that the PU fails to call infield fly, and the BU points, but does not verbalize the call. Ball hits the ground, and all runners attempt to advance. What should be the outcome?

See Steve's paragraph which starts with "What happens if it isn't called at all, by either?"

CecilOne Mon Oct 23, 2017 06:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1010485)
This is a case where survival mechanics need to kick in; BU should hesitate to allow the PU the opportunity to make the call when the ball is at it's highest point, but if the ball is coming down and still no call on an obvious situation, I will at least raise the closed fist, and if possible make a verbal call, too. The teams deserve the right call in a timely manner; and I can promise you they don't care even one little bit which umpire calls or signals if they get the protection they deserve. This procedure is more right than ever wrong no matter which set of mechanics you are supposed to be using.,

In the bolded "an obvious situation, I will at least raise the closed fist, and if possible make a verbal call, too", by "obvious" do you mean no question of ordinary effort that the PU might judge otherwise?

BlueDevilRef Mon Oct 23, 2017 09:00pm

As noted, it can be applied after the fact in lots of rule sets. It cannot in NCAA or Usssa, as far as I know. If I’m wrong, somebody shout out the rule please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtlUmpSteve Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1010492)
In the bolded "an obvious situation, I will at least raise the closed fist, and if possible make a verbal call, too", by "obvious" do you mean no question of ordinary effort that the PU might judge otherwise?

Correct. I'm referencing a case where judgment isn't an issue, but PU still doesn't call for no obvious reason.

Manny A Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:24pm

Quote:

In any realistic scale of good/acceptable/bad/worse/horrible, and as related to the ability to survive, only a total moron would believe it is better for the BU to refuse to bail out the crew in an obvious infield fly rule situation when the PU freezes. This is a case where survival mechanics need to kick in; BU should hesitate to allow the PU the opportunity to make the call when the ball is at it's highest point, but if the ball is coming down and still no call on an obvious situation, I will at least raise the closed fist, and if possible make a verbal call, too. The teams deserve the right call in a timely manner; and I can promise you they don't care even one little bit which umpire calls or signals if they get the protection they deserve. This procedure is more right than ever wrong no matter which set of mechanics you are supposed to be using.

I don't disagree. But I'm telling ya, I've heard it say in training sessions and on some umpire discussion boards that the language in the book saying it's the PU's call removes any responsibility on the BU's part.

Dakota Tue Oct 24, 2017 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1010527)
I don't disagree. But I'm telling ya, I've heard it say in training sessions and on some umpire discussion boards that the language in the book saying it's the PU's call removes any responsibility on the BU's part.

Really... the BU is completely absolved from ANY responsibility?

Tru_in_Blu Tue Oct 24, 2017 02:52pm

I've had a couple of BUs that incorrectly called an IF. Made for a real cluster both times. Had to fix the messes.

CecilOne Tue Oct 24, 2017 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1010527)

Why do people have to invent things or excuse their mistakes when it is not in the rule book or manual? :( :( :o

There is no rule book or manual that says the famous 39 myths (sorry, Alfred). :rolleyes:
Do we need to add another? :eek:

Big Slick Tue Oct 24, 2017 04:14pm

Quote:

Am I the only person who saw this? No Umpire Manual in print for softball, be it USA/ASA, NFHS, or even NCAA (2018 not yet in print) describes the umpire signal for an infield fly as a point.

NCAA is now a point; that's a change for 2018.