The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 03:34am
Official Forum Member

That time the home team didn't send a batter to the plate in the bottom of the inning

So it's the offseason, and the forum is slow....time for a "I can't believe that happened" post.

An officiating friend and I were talking about the weirdest way we ever saw a game end, and this story came up. I don't remember exactly where I was working, or with who...or even what age group it was, but a few years ago at an ASA tournament, I had 3 minutes or so left in the game at the end of the top of the inning. The visitors were up by several runs, and instead of sending a batter to the plate, the home coach sent his team out to shake hands. I think it was a 6-1 ballgame at that point or something like that.

I was PU; I told him he could bat since the game wasn't over. He told me "You think we can score six runs in an inning? We haven't scored six runs in a whole game all weekend!" and smiled.

The teams shook hands, and left the field. I stood at parade-rest near home plate, waiting for time to expire. My partner, god bless him, did the same thing at first base without so much as a word between us. You literally can't pregame this, but he knew exactly what I was doing, and he followed along.

The teams had left the field, so it's just me and him out there in the summer sun, standing there. We stood there for a minute and a half. You don't really realize how long 90 seconds is until you stand like a dang statue and everyone behind the fence is saying "what's going on? What are they doing? Do they know the game is over?".

The timer went off, I called Ball Game, and we left the field. Weirdest way I've ever finished a ball game.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Why stand around and wait for time to expire. By refusing to continue the game they have forfeited.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Why stand around and wait for time to expire. By refusing to continue the game they have forfeited.
Meh, the coaches have mutually agreed to shorten the game. I don't think I'd trouble trouble here in one of our local tournaments.

In championship play, I think you're right about what has to be done. Since championship play has no drop-dead time limits, I think you have to go forfeit in this case.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is true. I've had this a few times in my career. If a coach tells me they are done playing, I specifically ask them if they are sure and that if I leave the field, its a done deal.

Every time the response was affirmative and my partner and myself calmly walk off the field.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
This is true. I've had this a few times in my career. If a coach tells me they are done playing, I specifically ask them if they are sure and that if I leave the field, its a done deal.

Every time the response was affirmative and my partner and myself calmly walk off the field.
Have had that happen a couple of times in school ball - outside me and my partners are calm looking, but inside its, 'YESSSS!'
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

In championship play, I think you're right about what has to be done. Since championship play has no drop-dead time limits, I think you have to go forfeit in this case.
Why?

It's over. Walk away.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why?

It's over. Walk away.
Just in terms of what final score gets written down. I'm walking away in either case having confirmed that the coach doesn't want to finish the game.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2017, 02:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I understand what you're saying, but forfeits are like the F word. I try not to use them in a professional sense unless absolutely necessary.

In the case of the story I posted, it was much more accurate to post a 6-1 game in favor of the visitors than to go to the UIC and explain that I called a "game time minus 90 second" forfeit. What else could I do? Call alternating balls and strikes because neither team had a ready pitcher or batter?

Opinions may differ. I still like the way we finished that game. We left it in the teams' hands up until the timer went off.

Last edited by teebob21; Thu Sep 07, 2017 at 02:32am.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2017, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but forfeits are like the F word. I try not to use them in a professional sense unless absolutely necessary.

In the case of the story I posted, it was much more accurate to post a 6-1 game in favor of the visitors than to go to the UIC and explain that I called a "game time minus 90 second" forfeit. What else could I do? Call alternating balls and strikes because neither team had a ready pitcher or batter?

Opinions may differ. I still like the way we finished that game. We left it in the teams' hands up until the timer went off.
You wouldn't forfeit the game, the team did. It is not an opinion, but right there in black and white in Rule 5.4.C
Old Thu Sep 07, 2017, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Only umpires get to shave the clock. When teams do it, it's a forfeit!
Old Fri Sep 08, 2017, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You wouldn't forfeit the game, the team did. It is not an opinion, but right there in black and white in Rule 5.4.C
Fair enough. I've been doing this for what feels like forever, and it seems I still haven't learned all the proper distinctions between doing it by the book, and being an OOO.