The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Consequences of coach ejections, ASA (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102754-consequences-coach-ejections-asa.html)

DTQ_Blue Mon Jun 19, 2017 04:57pm

Consequences of coach ejections, ASA

Does any ASA rule address that there must be official registered coaches in the dugout for a JO team to play? I ejected one of 2 coaches during a 16U tournament yesterday and the other one was beginning to go off when a parent said something to him to the effect to not get himself ejected or the team would forfeit out of the tournament. I can't find anything in the rulebook that says there must be a coach, how many are allowed, must they be registered, can a parent step in and coach if the "official" ones get ejected. I wasn't prepared for the "what next" if I had ejected both coaches. Having never had an ejection in 11 years of softball umpiring, I never prepared myself for the possibility of ejecting all the coaches.

RKBUmp Mon Jun 19, 2017 05:08pm

Been a number of years, but last I knew there had to be a minimum of 1 ACE certified coach in the dugout.

teebob21 Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1007099)
Been a number of years, but last I knew there had to be a minimum of 1 ACE certified coach in the dugout.

While probably true, if I am on the field, once the game starts, IMO this is the tournament director's problem.

Ever been working a game where one team is noticeably bigger and "older looking" than the other? I had a 14U game like that this weekend...comments from the parents along the lines of "better check their driver's license, blue" after a home run, etc. I know somewhere someone is committing "ball fraud" and playing kids older than the division limits, but by the time they get on my field, it's not my problem. Same deal with coaches...if I end up ejecting everyone in the dugout but the mom keeping score, I'm not going to check her certification before the next pitch. Play ball, girls.

Provided that ejected team personnel leaves my field in a timely manner and we still have an adult in the dugout, everything else (suspensions, continuance of play, etc) is up to the TD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue (Post 1007098)
Having never had an ejection in 11 years of softball umpiring, I never prepared myself for the possibility of ejecting all the coaches.

You either have great game management, or you have missed some opportunities to make your game go much smoother. :D

Manny A Tue Jun 20, 2017 07:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1007111)
While probably true, if I am on the field, once the game starts, IMO this is the tournament director's problem.

While I don't disagree, it is something umpires should know about. If you eject both coaches and then let a parent come out of the stands to continue coaching the team, and then something happens to that team, would you be liable? What if the opposing coach lodges a complaint? You really should be able to answer him/her knowledgeably so that you don't have to delay the game to seek out the tournament director or UIC.

So I think it's a legitimate question that, unfortunately I don't know the answer to. I'm sure someone here will clarify.

CecilOne Tue Jun 20, 2017 07:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1007120)
While I don't disagree, it is something umpires should know about. If you eject both coaches and then let a parent come out of the stands to continue coaching the team, and then something happens to that team, would you be liable? What if the opposing coach lodges a complaint? You really should be able to answer him/her knowledgeably so that you don't have to delay the game to seek out the tournament director or UIC.

So I think it's a legitimate question that, unfortunately I don't know the answer to. I'm sure someone here will clarify.

Also, what I wondered (bolded).

AtlUmpSteve Tue Jun 20, 2017 07:58pm

To my knowledge, the recent requirement of ACE and background check also required coaches to have that certification available at any National Championship and any Qualifier. All of those have a UIC, whose job description includes assuring the removal of ejected coaches from sight and sound.

As far as I am concerned, the LAST person that I want involved in these decisions is a Tournament Director (someone more worried about Sales and Marketing to teams registering in future tournaments than supporting the umpires). As an umpire, my UIC should handle it for me (making sure there is a credentialed coach); when I am/was a UIC, I know I consider it MY JOB to make sure there is a credentialed coach, or I announce the forfeit.

teebob21 Tue Jun 20, 2017 08:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1007142)
To my knowledge, the recent requirement of ACE and background check also required coaches to have that certification available at any National Championship and any Qualifier. All of those have a UIC, whose job description includes assuring the removal of ejected coaches from sight and sound.

As far as I am concerned, the LAST person that I want involved in these decisions is a Tournament Director (someone more worried about Sales and Marketing to teams registering in future tournaments than supporting the umpires). As an umpire, my UIC should handle it for me (making sure there is a credentialed coach); when I am/was a UIC, I know I consider it MY JOB to make sure there is a credentialed coach, or I announce the forfeit.

This is a good point. I should have said "TD or UIC". My original point still stands: on-field umpires should not have to worry about player or coach eligibility during a game. That's someone else's pay grade.