The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
There's Always a First...

With the HS season winding down, still time for the old saw, "A first time for anything.."

Was getting dressed for my game, in fact, just pulled my shirt on..when the phone rings - it's the assignors for this area.

"Hey Lou, your game at X has been cancelled - X just got their eligibility list back, and several players have declared academically ineligible, and they don't have enough players to play the game..."

Oh well..a well needed day off!

Never had that one before!
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Wow. Considering most high school teams have a pretty large roster, including JV players, that must have been a doozy of a chemistry test in multiple grade levels?
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
Wow. Considering most high school teams have a pretty large roster, including JV players, that must have been a doozy of a chemistry test in multiple grade levels?
A. This is JV

B. It's a pretty crappy program from top to bottom

C. Softball around here has been hurt pretty bad by lacrosse lately

D The school itself is pretty notorious for having high dropout/low graduation rates...
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
A. This is JV

B. It's a pretty crappy program from top to bottom

C. Softball around here has been hurt pretty bad by lacrosse lately

D The school itself is pretty notorious for having high dropout/low graduation rates...
Then why waste the money on sports. Put it into the classroom
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Agreed.
Old Thu May 11, 2017, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA/NYSSOBLUE View Post
With the HS season winding down, still time for the old saw, "A first time for anything.."

Was getting dressed for my game, in fact, just pulled my shirt on..when the phone rings - it's the assignors for this area.

"Hey Lou, your game at X has been cancelled - X just got their eligibility list back, and several players have declared academically ineligible, and they don't have enough players to play the game..."

Oh well..a well needed day off!

Never had that one before!
NYC started a Co-Ed division for older students which just started in 2015.
Arc pitching.
My one and only was cancelled due to the team being suddenly disbanded-- no reason given.
Old Sat May 13, 2017, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Even if the school system isn't good, killing sports it not the answer. Why? For a good portion of the school population, athletics are what keeps a student enrolled in school.
Old Sat May 13, 2017, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
It all depends on the area.

For about 3 or 4 years straight a school in my area failed to have enough players for a JV team. This school is a general education public school with an enrollment near 2000 students in an athletic program that has boasted numerous state titles and top finishes in multiple sports. In fact this school has been rated one of the top 30 overall athletic programs in the state for the last couple decades. It is also a top 50 academic high school in the state.
Old Sat May 13, 2017, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
It all depends on the area.

For about 3 or 4 years straight a school in my area failed to have enough players for a JV team. This school is a general education public school with an enrollment near 2000 students in an athletic program that has boasted numerous state titles and top finishes in multiple sports. In fact this school has been rated one of the top 30 overall athletic programs in the state for the last couple decades. It is also a top 50 academic high school in the state.
Wow. I'd guess it's a combination of 2 or 3 things--such as a very unpopular coaching staff (that doesn't work with the JV players), a strong presence of travel ball or other league teams in that area (giving the JV players a better option before they "graduate" to varsity level), or the school just simply doesn't support the program like the other sports. I still see pockets of communities that cannot even accept that fast pitch girls softball is exploding.