The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Umpire uniform violation

Our high school games come under NFHS rules and mechanics.

Our association states that our umpire uniform includes a powder blue polo shirt with no logos (exception for a 25-year patch), a navy blue t-shirt (if worn), heather grey pants and grey ball bag.

This past week we had a pair of umpires violate the uniform mandate. They each wore cream colored polos with navy stripes on the collar and sleeves. BU wore a red t-shirt. The PU wore a navy blue ball bag.

How serious a violation would your association view this and what possible sanctions might apply?

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Sat Apr 29, 2017 at 09:08am. Reason: sp
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The "cream colored polos with navy stripes on the collar and sleeves " isn't even close. Reduce their rating a notch.

Wrong color ball bag is minor, be correct next time.
The red t shirt is conspicuous, but ok in rule book, also correct next time.

BUT, check alibis, were they stranded or uniforms damaged?

Why would you specify navy t shirts with powder blue shirts?
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 09:43am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Our high school games come under NFHS rules and mechanics.

Our association states that our umpire uniform includes a powder blue polo shirt with no logos (exception for a 25-year patch), a navy blue t-shirt (if worn), heather grey pants and grey ball bag.

This past week we had a pair of umpires violate the uniform mandate. They each wore cream colored polos with navy stripes on the collar and sleeves. BU wore a red t-shirt. The PU wore a navy blue ball bag.

How serious a violation would your association view this and what possible sanctions might apply?

We can get fined and lose games if we do not follow protocols in our associations.

in So Cal Southern Section CIF (California Softball Officials Association) all but San Diego.
Heather Grey pants are the default pant but we can wear Navy Pants if all umpires for the game have them .
Powder Blue Polo with CSOA patch on left sleeve. Under shirt if worn shall be white and hat must be Navy.
Ball Bags Default to Navy with Heather Grey being optional.

in San Diego Section CIF we wear Navy Polo with Navy undershirt. Pants must be Heather Grey Ball Bags and Hat must be Navy.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 09:44am
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The "cream colored polos with navy stripes on the collar and sleeves " isn't even close. Reduce their rating a notch.

Since when is red okay for Undershirt in Softball???
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Red T-shirt is OK in NFHS rule book?? I know it's Powder Blue w/ white T-shirt. Our guys who do both USA and NFHS screw this up all the time.

Nobody stranded. Conscious decision on the part of both officials.

I didn't specify the T-shirt color. Our association decided upon this. It's been that way since I was admitted to the board.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
OK, my mistake, thinking the book said preferred or default, rather than "shall".
Just a thing I have not had to think about for decades.

BTW, that means navy under powder blue is also not allowed.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 02:08pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post

OhioHSAA both baseball and softball: Navy Blue shirt with Red undershirt.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BTW, that means navy under powder blue is also not allowed.
UNLESS you're working NHIAA high school games. If you wear a T-shirt under the powder blue shirt, it must be navy blue.

Doesn't NCAA and MLB do this color combination?

I'd prefer white under powder blue, but, when in Rome...
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
UNLESS you're working NHIAA high school games. If you wear a T-shirt under the powder blue shirt, it must be navy blue.

Doesn't NCAA and MLB do this color combination?

I'd prefer white under powder blue, but, when in Rome...
I don't work a ton of NCAA games, but when I do, they love to wear navy. I went to a camp here in AZ and it was just under 100F...everyone wanted to wear navy on the field even though it was hotter than hell. I can think of one excellent umpire in particular who probably doesn't even own a powder shirt any more (not naming names). When forced to wear powder shirts, navy undershirts seem to be all the rage.

Personally, I like navy under powder when I work the bases. I wear white undershirts if that's what my partner is wearing. When I am on the plate I wear white, as no one will see it anyway.

You won't catch me dead wearing red.

Last edited by teebob21; Sun Apr 30, 2017 at 12:01am.
Old Sat Apr 29, 2017, 11:58pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I don't work a ton of NCAA games, but when I do, they love to wear navy. I can think of one excellent umpire in particular who probably doesn't even own a powder shirt any more (not naming names). When forced to wear powder shirts, navy undershirts seem to be all the rage.

Personally, I like navy under powder when I work the bases. I wear white undershirts if that's what my partner is wearing. When I am on the plate I wear white, as no one will see it anyway.

In the two college conferences (1 NCAA and 1 NAIA) that Mark, Jr., umpires in, the supervisor requires powder blue with white undershirt and heather gray pants.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
I don't work a ton of NCAA games, but when I do, they love to wear navy. I went to a camp here in AZ and it was just under 100F...everyone wanted to wear navy on the field even though it was hotter than hell. I can think of one excellent umpire in particular who probably doesn't even own a powder shirt any more (not naming names). When forced to wear powder shirts, navy undershirts seem to be all the rage.

You won't catch me dead wearing red.
The NCAA uniform is powder over Navy. Navy is a cleaner, more forgiving color. And please do not bring the temp into the discussion, it is the material and construction of the pants that will make the difference not the color.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 01:06pm
High Five Master

I wear so much sunscreen it really stains the white and the powder. I prefer navy or black to anything.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

OK, the hijacking to let everyone know what their organization wears or what their particular preferences are is closed.

Back to our normal programming:

What sanctions might apply in your organization if someone deliberately ignored the umpire dress code and went rogue?
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

OhioHSAA has a penalty of "fine not exceeding $100" for an official in any sport that is not in a proper uniform. I've got to believe you also limit your opportunities for tournament assignments as well, though it's not directly stated.
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
OK, the hijacking to let everyone know what their organization wears or what their particular preferences are is closed.

Back to our normal programming:

What sanctions might apply in your organization if someone deliberately ignored the umpire dress code and went rogue?
From my perspective, you haven't given enough information. So far as I know, every state that uses NFHS rulebook also states standards for umpire uniforms; powder and/or navy shirt, navy and/or gray pants (I know TN allows charcoal, not just heather), white and/or navy undershirts, and so on. Before I could state how it would be viewed here, I would need to know if it violated JUST your association's requirements, or also the state agency's requirements.

If navy ball bag or red T-shirt (something I think should NEVER be allowed) are acceptable in your state, then those are minor violations. If not acceptable in your state anytime, anywhere, it jumps in level of concern. Did they diss the state at the same time as dissing you association? And those two items are different, in my mind, than the creme shirts.

Those two items were individual decisions. But the creme shirts were obviously a premeditated and joint decision that say "screw you"; but again, to your association, or to the state, too, makes a difference.

The final question is, how badly do you need those two umpires? Can you afford to lose them in setting an example to the rest of your association that you are serious about the uniform requirements?

All of these are factors that should be considered; it isn't a $5 vs $50 question, in my opinion. If they violated state rules on the shirts, I might say "thanks, you donated the game fee" when not wearing state mandated uniform, while if just a local issue, and I need them going forward, a lesser penalty that sends a message might be more appropriate.