The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NCAA Pitcher Reentry (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102512-ncaa-pitcher-reentry.html)

OhioTex Sat Apr 01, 2017 01:44pm

NCAA Pitcher Reentry

simple pitcher re-entry clarification under NCAA rules.

Starting Pitcher #1. Pitches 2 1/3 inning.
Pitcher 1 Replaced at second coach conference in half inning, with Legal sub, Pitcher #2

How much must Pitcher 2 pitch, before she can be replaced? (no injuries).
( Does pitcher 2 have to throw a pitch, finish a batter, record an out?
8.5.2.1 would suggest she does not have to finish the batter. )

Does it change if Pitcher 1 is the Replacement for Pitcher 2 (Pitcher 1 has legal reentry available, . (btw i know Pitcher 1 would not get any warm up pitches if re-enters in the same inning)

Does any of this change if Pitcher 1 was initially forced to be removed because coach inadvertently made a second trip to circle in same half inning?

thanks for the clarification. I was second guessing myself today on this

Skahtboi Sat Apr 01, 2017 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioTex (Post 1004079)

Pitcher 1 Replaced at second coach conference in half inning, with Legal sub, Pitcher #2

Does it change if Pitcher 1 is the Replacement for Pitcher 2 (Pitcher 1 has legal reentry available, . (btw i know Pitcher 1 would not get any warm up pitches if re-enters in the same inning)

Does any of this change if Pitcher 1 was initially forced to be removed because coach inadvertently made a second trip to circle in same half inning?

You cited the answer to your question. Reread 8.5.2.1. When does it tell you a pitcher may be removed?

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 01, 2017 08:52pm

A few points of interest.

1) 8.5.2.1 does NOT "suggest" anything; it clearly states the pitcher CAN be removed without even throwing one pitch, as SCOTTBOI has referenced. Once reported in, she can be replaced.

2) You reference a pitcher being replaced due to a second defensive conference. THERE IS NO SUCH RULE IN NCAA!! The penalty for a second (or subsequent) defensive conference during the same inning with the same pitcher is (SEE 6.11.4 EFFECT!!!) ........

Forget what other sanctions or sports (baseball) state; this isn't complicated if you ignore what else you think you know.

OhioTex Sat Apr 01, 2017 08:59pm

I was hoping there were some other clarifications elsewhere,

So the coach could unintentionally make a second visit to circle in an inning, be forced to pull pitcher 1 .. sub in pitcher 2.. then re enter pitcherk
1.. all without any pitches in between ? . That seens silly, but if 8.5.2,1 is all the guidance sounds l

8.5.2.1 The pitcher may be removed from the pitching position before having delivered a pitch, whether or not the first batter facing her has completed her turn at bat and whether or not the side has been retired

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 01, 2017 09:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioTex (Post 1004079)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioTex (Post 1004128)
I was hoping there were some other clarifications elsewhere,

So the coach could unintentionally make a second visit to circle in an inning, be forced to pull pitcher 1 .. sub in pitcher 2.. then re enter pitcherk
1.. all without any pitches in between ? . That seens silly, but if 8.5.2,1 is all the guidance sounds l

8.5.2.1 The pitcher may be removed from the pitching position before having delivered a pitch, whether or not the first batter facing her has completed her turn at bat and whether or not the side has been retired

NO!!! Read 6.11.4.

When the coach makes a second defensive conference, THE COACH IS (ADMINISTRATIVELY) EJECTED!! Not forced to replace a pitcher; nor can this ejected coach make ANY changes, the replacement coach needs to report substitutions.

But go ahead and do what you suggest. So we have an ejected coach, a starter that has burned her re-entry, AND a substitute burned without throwing a pitch. Good moves, but the actual result of what you describe.

OhioTex Sun Apr 02, 2017 04:52am

thanks AltUmpSteve - much appreciated
(Thanks for the clear citations in your first post, i worte my second post after skahtboi post but before i saw your clarification).

Yes, In fact, the assistant coach who called the second conference was administratively ejected by UIC. We All saw the second conference without removing pitcher. I was not doubting that decision and as such did not mention in OP.

Great counsel, to 'forget baseball/ other rule sets' but easier said then done, many more years in baseball. That is why i value this forum, i can wondered "what if" xyz would have happened and ask here, to know and learn before a situation occurs.

The head coach did not do the silly burn sub scenerio i described, but coach did pull pitcher 1 (and appeared would not have done otherwise) and pitcher 2 struggled, so it made me wonder, would that coach go back to pitcher 1 and if so did i have rule straight in my head.

Again, thanks AltUmpSteve for both your posts and expertise