The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Re-entry (NFHS 2017 Softball Rules) (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102506-re-entry-nfhs-2017-softball-rules.html)

wdiveley0514 Fri Mar 31, 2017 09:44am

Re-entry (NFHS 2017 Softball Rules)

I am a parent and a little confused on the rules covering re-entry. On page 176 of the NFHS 2017 Softball Rule Book it states:
Re-entry
Any player, starter or substitute may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever in the lineup. A starter and any substitute for a starter may not be in the game at the same time. A violation results in illegal substitution (3-3-5). A pitcher may be removed as a pitcher and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return does not violate either the substitution or charged conference rule (3-2-2 Note).

It goes on to say

In Simple Terms
All players, including the DP and FLEX, listed on the starting lineup can leave the game and return one time. Substitutes may never re-enter after leaving the game.

In the "In Simple Terms" statement it says substitutes may never re-enter after leaving the game. In the Re-entry paragraph is says: "Any player, starter or substitute may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever in the lineup." My question is: Can a substitute re-enter after being withdrawn from the game? The "In Simple Terms" statement, and the first line of the Re-entry paragraph seem to contradict one another. Thanks - Walter

teebob21 Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:08am

My NFHS 2017 rule book only goes up to page 95 or so before the ads and the index, so I can't verify the context of what you've posted.

Substitutes can re-enter in high school softball, unless I've been screwing it up for years.

CecilOne Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdiveley0514 (Post 1003958)
I am a parent and a little confused on the rules covering re-entry. On page 176 of the NFHS 2017 Softball Rule Book it states:
Re-entry
Any player, starter or substitute may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever in the lineup. A starter and any substitute for a starter may not be in the game at the same time. A violation results in illegal substitution (3-3-5). A pitcher may be removed as a pitcher and return as a pitcher only once per inning provided the return does not violate either the substitution or charged conference rule (3-2-2 Note).

It goes on to say

In Simple Terms
All players, including the DP and FLEX, listed on the starting lineup can leave the game and return one time. Substitutes may never re-enter after leaving the game.

In the "In Simple Terms" statement it says substitutes may never re-enter after leaving the game. In the Re-entry paragraph is says: "Any player, starter or substitute may be withdrawn from the game and re-entered once, provided such player occupies the same batting position whenever in the lineup." My question is: Can a substitute re-enter after being withdrawn from the game? The "In Simple Terms" statement, and the first line of the Re-entry paragraph seem to contradict one another. Thanks - Walter

It looks like you are looking at a different book than the actual rule book.
There are only 104 pages including the index, so even adding the 80 page casebook, the 176th page is not about substitutes.

Regardless, the "simple terms" is wrong or out of date for several years.
The correct book is found here:
http://nfhs.arbitersports.com/Front/...3-111500d8fb30

RKBUmp Fri Mar 31, 2017 03:22pm

Dont know where you got those page numbers and the statement about substitutes not being able to be reentered but it is incorrect. Every player including substitutes has a reentry. NCAA is the only softball rule set I am aware of where only the starters have a reentry.

DaveASA/FED Sat Apr 01, 2017 08:37am

They are probably looking at the simplified and illustrated version. And this statement is incorrect.

Manny A Wed Apr 05, 2017 07:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdiveley0514 (Post 1003958)
In Simple Terms

"In Simple Terms, we screwed up by saying substitutes may never re-enter after leaving the game..." :D