The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Batter hit by pitch in box (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102495-batter-hit-pitch-box.html)

Blueplate Wed Mar 29, 2017 08:05pm

Batter hit by pitch in box

Puzzled..
My understanding of the rules on a batter struck by the ball while swinging and in the box was,dead ball foul,strike. Third time is a dead ball foul,and she continues to bat. But this rule was brought up in our meeting...

NFHS p. 61,PENALTIES:(Art.2)...

2.If the batter is hit anywhere on the body,including the hands,while swinging at a pitch and hits the ball fair or foul the ball is dead and a strike is called.
If it is strike three,the batter is out.

RKBUmp Wed Mar 29, 2017 08:25pm

If they are swinging and hit with the pitch for strike 3 the batter is out, it is not a foul ball.

Umpire@1 Wed Mar 29, 2017 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueplate (Post 1003847)
Puzzled..
My understanding of the rules on a batter struck by the ball while swinging and in the box was,dead ball foul,strike. Third time is a dead ball foul,and she continues to bat. But this rule was brought up in our meeting...

NFHS p. 61,PENALTIES:(Art.2)...

2.If the batter is hit anywhere on the body,including the hands,while swinging at a pitch and hits the ball fair or foul the ball is dead and a strike is called.
If it is strike three,the batter is out.

It was changed at least 5-6 years ago.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpire@1 (Post 1003849)
It was changed at least 5-6 years ago.

I will disagree with that; I don't believe it was ever a foul ball nor a rule change. Possibly restated to clarify what should have been clear to all from the beginning, that ONLY A BAT contacting a ball can create a batted ball, and ONLY A BATTED BALL can be fair or foul.

Altor Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:50pm

Had to re-read the subject of this thread...

"No it didn't. It hit me in the arm."

IRISHMAFIA Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1003854)
I will disagree with that; I don't believe it was ever a foul ball nor a rule change. Possibly restated to clarify what should have been clear to all from the beginning, that ONLY A BAT contacting a ball can create a batted ball, and ONLY A BATTED BALL can be fair or foul.

Beat me to it. It has always been a dead ball and a strike

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueplate (Post 1003847)
Third time is a dead ball foul,and she continues to bat.

Untrue. Always. Since the beginning of this sport.

You cannot have a foul ball unless the ball hits the bat.

josephrt1 Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:25am

It would only be dead ball, foul ball if the ball made contact with the bat before deflecting into the batter while the batter is still in the box. Even on third strike, if it hit bat before the batter it is a foul ball.
But if it contacts the batter and not the bat while the batter is swinging, it is a strike and dead ball. and if it is strike 3 the batter is out.

CecilOne Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:17am

Batter first, then bat, dead ball at the instant it hit the batter.