The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Illegal Pitch Procedure (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102425-illegal-pitch-procedure.html)

teebob21 Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:40pm

Illegal Pitch Procedure

So, this is a basic question, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Both NFHS and NCAA are emphasizing the pause or simulation of taking signs on the pitching plate with the hands together apart, so I'm watching closer for it, and as a result, calling more IPs as PU this year.

(NFHS) Sitch: R2 and R3, outs irrelevant. F1 takes the signal off the pitching plate, steps on with one foot, and immediately brings her hands together. I call IP and signal. The pitcher hesitates, because she knows I've called it, and then finally throws one right down the middle. The batter does not swing.

I call the strike with a verbal and a signal, and then announce Dead Ball and administer the IP. This is the correct mechanic, yes? Both coaches (again, its HS) were confused why I called a strike if the pitch was illegal. They were confused yet again when I announced the count as 2-0 for the next pitch. :confused:

Umpire@1 Sat Mar 18, 2017 05:01pm

So what did the pitcher do wrong? She took a signal, stepped on the rubber, hesitated and made a pitch?? Am I missing something?

RKBUmp Sat Mar 18, 2017 05:45pm

He said she stepped on and immediately brought her hands together. Must pause after engaging the pitching plate with hands separated and at least simulate taking a signal.

robbie Sat Mar 18, 2017 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpire@1 (Post 1002793)
So what did the pitcher do wrong? She took a signal, stepped on the rubber, hesitated and made a pitch?? Am I missing something?

I assume the OP is referencing the fact that the hesitation was AFTER the hands came together. Although that in itself is not a violation, the fact that there was no pause prior to hands together while on the pitching plate is one.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Mar 18, 2017 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1002772)
So, this is a basic question, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right. Both NFHS and NCAA are emphasizing the pause or simulation of taking signs on the pitching plate with the hands together, so I'm watching closer for it, and as a result, calling more IPs as PU this year.

(NFHS) Sitch: R2 and R3, outs irrelevant. F1 takes the signal off the pitching plate, steps on with one foot, and immediately brings her hands together. I call IP and signal. The pitcher hesitates, because she knows I've called it, and then finally throws one right down the middle. The batter does not swing.

I call the strike with a verbal and a signal, and then announce Dead Ball and administer the IP. This is the correct mechanic, yes? Both coaches (again, its HS) were confused why I called a strike if the pitch was illegal. They were confused yet again when I announced the count as 2-0 for the next pitch. :confused:

Mechanics, yes, you are correct; except you skipped mentioning the part of giving the offensive coach the option between the illegal pitch enforcement or the result of the play. And I believe that is key to the understanding.

It is my experience that stepping out after the pitch and grandly announcing "Coach, we have an illegal pitch called; you have the option to choose between result of the pitch, a strike on the batter or the penalty for the illegal pitch, a ball on the batter and every runner advances a base" pretty much explains to everyone why the obvious result.

After the following action, announcing "the count, as result of the option, is NOW 2 balls, no strikes", and parents, as well as high school coaches, can follow that result, typically.

Little Jimmy Sat Mar 18, 2017 08:39pm

Although I've called and signaled the illegal pitch in the same way as tee bob 21 did, I've been told differently this preseason. One of my powers that be said the pitcher can still discontinue the pitch before the hands separate by stepping back off the plate. Fed 6-1-1-f-2 seems to verify. So I've been told proper mechanics in that situation would be to wait until the hands separate before signaling illegal. Thoughts?

RKBUmp Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1002807)
Although I've called and signaled the illegal pitch in the same way as tee bob 21 did, I've been told differently this preseason. One of my powers that be said the pitcher can still discontinue the pitch before the hands separate by stepping back off the plate. Fed 6-1-1-f-2 seems to verify. So I've been told proper mechanics in that situation would be to wait until the hands separate before signaling illegal. Thoughts?

6-1-1-f-2 allows the pitcher to disengage assuming she has done nothing illegal. Once the pitcher commits an illegal action, the bell has been rung and cannot be unrung.

Stepping on and immediately bringing the hands together is a point of emphasis in NFHS this year and was featured in the preseason handout. Nowhere in the information does it say anything about the pitcher being able to reset after they have committed an illegal action.

I would also refer you to case play 6-1-1 Situation E, play A. It is an illegal pitch, case play gives no option for the pitcher to reset without penalty.

Little Jimmy Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:15pm

Understand about the emphasis and like that it's being pushed. I'm just passing on what I've been told and opening it up for discussion. I will say that having Fed 6-1-1 a through e being followed immediately by f (describing how the pitcher may legally remove herself) is at the least questionable rule structure on the Feds behalf. I can see how it could be interpreted in different ways.

Little Jimmy Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:24pm

And...after looking a little closer...and noting that the UIC that discussed this with me is USSSA... USSSA 6-1-D-note says " before the pitch starts, the pitcher may remove them self from the pitching position by stepping back from the pitchers plate with both feet(either foot may be removed first) or by requesting time". Since the pitch begins when the hands separate, Utrip seems to be allowing for the nullification of the potential illegal pitch described in the original post.

RKBUmp Sat Mar 18, 2017 09:40pm

Sorry, but no rule set has any option to erase an illegal pitch. Once the pitcher commits an illegal act, the pitch is illegal, there is no fixing it.

The part about removing themselves from the pitching plate only deals with if they have not done anything illegal as yet. Remember, once a pitcher brings the hands together they must deliver a pitch, unless they legally remove themselves prior to the hands separating.

Little Jimmy Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10pm

RKBUmp said..."Sorry, but no rule set has any option to erase an illegal pitch. Once the pitcher commits an illegal act, the pitch is illegal, there is no fixing it."

Well, when my state UIC (who has also been a member of the national rules committee) tells me that's the interpretation...then that's the interpretation. At least USSSA wise. Apparently they are adhering to the pitch beginning when the hands separate, even in this case.

RKBUmp Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14pm

It has absolutely nothing to do with when the pitch starts. The pitcher can commit an illegal act before the pitch ever starts, such as stepping on with hands together, immediately bringing hands together after stepping on, licking fingers and going straight to ball, rubbing dirt on the ball, grinding ball in dirt etc. All illegal acts immediately when they happen. There is no recourse to correct an illegal act once it has been committed. Your UIC is incorrect and he will not be able to show you any case play, clarification or rule support to back his position. Nothing in any rule set give the pitcher the ability to correct an illegal pitch.

Little Jimmy Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:24pm

Im going to let this one go, but you're telling me that the guy who interprets the rules for USSSA in my state and has been a part of the writing process at the national level for years doesn't know what he's talking about? And even though a national rules committee member(up until this year) says to do it I should simply tell him he's wrong?

I understand what you're saying. But you're not understanding what I'm saying. Time to move on.

teebob21 Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1002806)
Mechanics, yes, you are correct; except you skipped mentioning the part of giving the offensive coach the option between the illegal pitch enforcement or the result of the play. And I believe that is key to the understanding.

(snip)

Steve, in NFHS, my understanding is that if the ball is not batted, there is no option. We simply give the batter a ball and advance any runners. (6-1-1 Penalty) Does Exception #2 come into play every time if the batter does not swing? NCAA: Yes; option every time.

Edit: Also, I am stealing your pre-packaged IP verbiage and using it. Thank you.

AtlUmpSteve Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1002826)
Steve, in NFHS, my understanding is that if the ball is not batted, there is no option. We simply give the batter a ball and advance any runners. (6-1-1 Penalty) Does Exception #2 come into play every time if the batter does not swing? NCAA: Yes; option every time.

Edit: Also, I am stealing your pre-packaged IP verbiage and using it. Thank you.

The rule and exceptions don't say anything about a swing or ball batted; exception #2 says anytime the advancement of batter and all runners doesn't occur the coach has an option. In my view the option is stated anytime #2 DOESN'T apply (all advance and remove the option), or another exception applies.

Manny A Sun Mar 19, 2017 09:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1002820)
Im going to let this one go, but you're telling me that the guy who interprets the rules for USSSA in my state and has been a part of the writing process at the national level for years doesn't know what he's talking about?

Honestly, it wouldn't be the first time that has happened in my experience. These "qualified rules interpreters" have been known to miss one every now and then.

Go ahead and ask him what happens when a pitcher licks her fingers as she's looking at the catcher for the signal, then brings her hands together without wiping her fingers, then when the PU calls and signals an Illegal Pitch, she steps off the plate backwards with either foot.

BretMan Sun Mar 19, 2017 02:43pm

Or how about this one...

Pitcher steps on plate with hands already joined. We are supposed to call an illegal pitch immediately, when it happens.

So, we call/signal the illegal pitch, then the pitcher steps back.

What is the mechanic for "uncalling" the illegal pitch??? :confused:

Little Jimmy Sun Mar 19, 2017 03:36pm

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in".
Michael Corleone

I said I was done. But I've changed my mind. Once again, I agree with anyone who says that we have always called illegal the moment it's illegal. That's the way I've always approached it. But when told to do it differently for one particular organization (USSSA) I take the good soldier route. But it does make me think about a few things...
What if,indeed, the powers that be wanted to allow this particular pitch infraction to have the potential to be nullified? How would that exception be any different than any of the other exceptions that appear in the multitude of books we adhere to? I think it's a matter of poor semantics and the overall sub standard structure of the Utrip rule book. All rule books have quirks, Utrip has a lot. And I state this with the certainty that the umpires I work with doing this brand of ball are the best in my area. It's not the people, it's the book.
The UIC who told us this is knowledgeable and not one to make statements that he is not sure of. I do feel the need to defend him. So when I work my local Utrip tourneys I'll be following this procedure. When I work Fed I'll do it differently.
By the way, some of you guys work USSSA in your area. Ask your local UICs and see what they say. I'm curious.

Manny A Mon Mar 20, 2017 07:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1002868)
What if,indeed, the powers that be wanted to allow this particular pitch infraction to have the potential to be nullified? How would that exception be any different than any of the other exceptions that appear in the multitude of books we adhere to?

It would have to appear in Rule 6, Section 3 of the book under "Illegal Pitch". There would have to be something in that section, likely under "A. Effect" that says something like, "The pitch is declared a ball and base runners are awarded one base without liability to be put out. Exception: If after the illegal pitch is declared, the pitcher removes herself from the pitching position per Rule 6, Section 1.D Note, then the infraction is nullified."

Also, take a look at Rule 10, Section 1.O. It says when a pitcher commits an Illegal Pitch, but no pitch is delivered to the batter, you have an Immediate Dead Ball. So a pitcher steps on the plate with both hands together, and the umpire calls an IP, whereupon she steps off the plate. Now we call a dead ball. Why? If there is no infraction as your UIC states, why bother killing play if there's nothing to do at that point since the IP is nullified? I don't believe USSSA feels that that's the case. I think, like in every other softball organization out there, that the IP violation is still there, and the umpire administers the penalty.

Little Jimmy Mon Mar 20, 2017 07:09pm

"So a pitcher steps on the plate with both hands together, and the umpire calls an IP, whereupon she steps off the plate. Now we call a dead ball. Why? If there is no infraction as your UIC states, why bother killing play if there's nothing to do at that point since the IP is nullified?"

The USSSA mechanic would be to not call the IP until the hands separate to pitch. If the hands separate, then the IP is called.

" I don't believe USSSA feels that that's the case. I think, like in every other softball organization out there, that the IP violation is still there, and the umpire administers the penalty."

My state UIC was on the national rules committee. They write the rules. If I can't take his word for it, who would have better insight?

RKBUmp Mon Mar 20, 2017 09:26pm

Cut and paste from the 2016 USSSA case book

Quote:

SITUATION F: F1 is (a) behind the pitcher’s plate, takes a signal from F2 and then steps on the pitcher’s
plate immediately bringing the hands together;
(b) on the pitcher’s plate, looks to her coach in the dugout
for a signal and then simulates taking a signal from F2 before bringing the hands together; or (c) behind the
pitcher’s plate, takes a signal from the coach or F2, steps on the pitcher’s plate, simulates taking a signal
from F2 before bringing the hands together.
RULING: Illegal pitch in (a) – pitcher must pause, re-take or simulate taking sign; legal in (b) and (c). (6-
1-C)

And a cut and paste directly from the 2016 USSA rule book

Quote:

Sec 3 ILLEGAL PITCH
An illegal pitch is a pitching rules violation. An illegal pitch is called
immediately
. It is a delayed dead ball and should be signaled by the Umpire
calling the illegal pitch and verbalized so a player could hear the call. Failure
of players to hear the call shall not void the call.

What your UIC and national rules committe member is telling you is in direct conflict to both the rule book and the case book for USSSA.

Manny A Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1003026)
"So a pitcher steps on the plate with both hands together, and the umpire calls an IP, whereupon she steps off the plate. Now we call a dead ball. Why? If there is no infraction as your UIC states, why bother killing play if there's nothing to do at that point since the IP is nullified?"

The USSSA mechanic would be to not call the IP until the hands separate to pitch. If the hands separate, then the IP is called.

With all due respect, that doesn't make sense at all. You are supposed to call/signal an IP the moment the violation happens, by rule. In this case, the violation happens when she steps on the plate with her hands together, not when she separates them afterward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1003026)
" I don't believe USSSA feels that that's the case. I think, like in every other softball organization out there, that the IP violation is still there, and the umpire administers the penalty."

My state UIC was on the national rules committee. They write the rules. If I can't take his word for it, who would have better insight?

Again, I'm not trying to belittle your state UIC, but I've run across a few times where umpires at those positions aren't always correct. I've even experienced at national camps and clinics where two instructors would not agree on a particular ruling. They're human, it happens.

But if he IS correct, and that's how USSSA Softball wants to treat this, then he needs to make it happen by changing the IP rule in the rule book and case book. As written, USSSA is the same as virtually every other fast-pitch organization out there, and they would need to change the books to clearly show how they are 180 degrees different.

CecilOne Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:47pm

"Called Immediately" does NOT mean dead ball immediately.

IP is a DDB to allow the batter (or maybe the coach) the choice of outcome.

Little Jimmy Tue Mar 21, 2017 02:49pm

RKBU ump...I agree wholeheartedly that the information given to me does not match what's stated in the case book. No question.

Manny...Also no question that if this indeed is what's wanted, then the rulebook needs to be changed to clearly reflect this. If there is to be an exception then the word EXCEPTION needs to be written into the rulebook.

I've tried to do what's right for every organization I've ever worked for. That's all that's happening here.

I think I need to get out on the field and get this season started. Today's and tomorrow's games cancelled because of field conditions. I'm shooting for Thursday.

MD Longhorn Tue Mar 21, 2017 03:31pm

There seems to be some confusion that one cannot have an illegal pitch without an actual pitch. This is not true. If they IP, and then step off, the ball is dead and we administer the IP. You're making it harder than it is.

CecilOne Tue Mar 21, 2017 04:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003076)
1 There seems to be some confusion that one cannot have an illegal pitch without an actual pitch.
2 This is not true.
3 If they IP, and then step off, the ball is dead and we administer the IP.
4 You're making it harder than it is.

Exactly. All 4.