The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Unreported sub (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102332-unreported-sub.html)

northbendon Tue Feb 28, 2017 05:07pm

Unreported sub

Is unreported sub the same for college and fed .....just a warning the first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manny A Tue Feb 28, 2017 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1001344)
Is unreported sub the same for college and fed .....just a warning the first time

No. In FED, all unreported subs are penalized with a team warning to the head coach for the first violation. A subsequent violation results in the player and head coach being restricted to the bench.

In college, it depends. If the unreported sub is a batter who is batting or just completed her at-bat and is on the bases, she is declared out and officially entered into the line-up. All play stands unless the defense reports the violation after the batter completes her at-bat and before a pitch is thrown; in that case, the action that occurred when the batter completed her at-bat is nullified.

If she's a pinch-runner or a runner that comes in to occupy second base for tie-breaker purposes, she's declared out if the defense reports her after the first pitch is thrown (the pitch is ruled No-Pitch). If she advances and then is reported before the next pitch, she's also ruled out and the pitch (and any other base advances) is nullified. If she advances and there's a pitch after that advance, she's out and that pitch is nullified but other play stands.

As for defensive unreported players, when the offense reports the violation after that player makes a play, the offense has the option of taking the play or nullifying it and returning the batter to the plate with the same count, and the runners back to their previous bases. If she makes a play but there is a pitch, or if she doesn't make a play, and then the defense reports her, then she's just officially in the game.

northbendon Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06pm

So in college a unreported sub and a illegal sub are treated the same

AtlUmpSteve Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1001358)
So in college a unreported sub and a illegal sub are treated the same

Not exactly. An illegal sub is also removed from the game, as she cannot legally occupy that spot; an unreported sub is officially in the game, just subject to penalties when reported by the offended team.

And, an illegal sub can never be remedied; an unreported sub loses that distinction if the offending team reports it (belatedly) before it is protested by the offended team. It can be a strategy to the offended team to try to save that trump card for a key moment, but they lose that if the other team figures it out.

northbendon Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 1001380)
Not exactly. An illegal sub is also removed from the game, as she cannot legally occupy that spot; an unreported sub is officially in the game, just subject to penalties when reported by the offended team.

And, an illegal sub can never be remedied; an unreported sub loses that distinction if the offending team reports it (belatedly) before it is protested by the offended team. It can be a strategy to the offended team to try to save that trump card for a key moment, but they lose that if the other team figures it out.

Thank you