The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Baserunner interference (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/10219-baserunner-interference.html)

Sagawa77 Sat Sep 27, 2003 01:30pm

I play/coach in a rec softball league here in Wilmington, NC. We are under ASA rules and I have a question regarding interference in a game last night.

Situation: Runner on 2nd, 0 outs. Batter hit ball to shortstop and runner ran into shortstop on way to 3rd, resulting in runners on 1st and 3rd. Base umpire (correctly) called baserunner interference, but I'm not sure if his ruling was correct. He called the batter/runner out at first base, but allowed the runner on 2nd to advance to 3rd on the play. What is the correct ruling in this case? I would think that the runner would have to return to 2nd...

Also, where could I pick up a copy of the ASA rules? I've been searching the 'net with little success. Thanks,

Spike S.

bluezebra Sat Sep 27, 2003 01:39pm

R2 is OUT on the interference. B/R gets 1B. I haven't done ASA in years, but I believe the B/R can be ruled out also, if the umpire judges the interference prevented a double-play.

ASA does not publish their rules on the internet. You can purchase a rule book from your local ASA UIC, or representative.

Bob

whiskers_ump Sat Sep 27, 2003 01:57pm

Sagawa wrote:

<b><i>"I play/coach in a rec softball league here in Wilmington, NC. We are under ASA rules and I have a question regarding interference in a game last night.

Situation: Runner on 2nd, 0 outs. Batter hit ball to shortstop and runner ran into shortstop on way to 3rd, resulting in runners on 1st and 3rd. Base umpire (correctly) called baserunner interference, but I'm not sure if his ruling was correct. He called the batter/runner out at first base, but allowed the runner on 2nd to advance to 3rd on the play. What is the correct ruling in this case? I would think that the runner would have to return to 2nd...

Also, where could I pick up a copy of the ASA rules? I've been searching the 'net with little success. Thanks,"</b></i>

Spike S.

Spike, if I am reading this correctly, You had one runner,
whom was on 2B. Batter hits ball to SS. Runner on 2B, [your
only base runner at this time], runs into SS making the play.
BU called BR out at 1B, but allowed runner from 2nd to advance
and remain at 3rd?

No, the runner would not return to 2nd, s/he is the player out
for interference and if the BU thought that the SS would have
gotten the DP, then he calls BR out also.

glen

Sagawa77 Sun Sep 28, 2003 02:01am

To bluezebra and whiskers_ump:

Thanks for clarifying the interference issue for me. Is it generally safe to say that every time interference occurs (provided the batter or runner does not make an obvious effort to get out of the way) the interfering batter/runner is out and the umpire then decides the placement of the rest of the runners based on what s/he feels would have happened if the fielder had been allowed to field the ball without the interference?

Thanks again!
Spike

Roger Greene Sun Sep 28, 2003 06:23am

Close.
The runner who interfers is out, the ball is dead, and runners return to last base touched before the interference, unless the umpire judges that the interference prevented a double play. Then the runner closest to home (most softball codes)is also declared out.

Roger Greene

IRISHMAFIA Sun Sep 28, 2003 08:35pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Roger Greene
Close.
The runner who interfers is out, the ball is dead, and runners return to last base touched before the interference, unless the umpire judges that the interference prevented a double play. Then the runner closest to home (most softball codes)is also declared out.

Roger Greene

Even closer.

ASA 8.2.F states that the umpire can also rule the runner closest to home out if they believe the interference was "an obvious attempt to prevent a double play."

So, the interference alone is not a determining factor, but the umpire's judgment of intent.