The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Painting home plate (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101715-painting-home-plate.html)

youngump Tue Oct 11, 2016 05:16pm

Painting home plate

This was a new one for me. I got to a game yesterday and home plate and the pitching plate had been recently spray painted bright white. It was still wet enough that I got some on my brush the first time I tried to get dirt off of it, and the footprints from hitting the plate, didn't go away. I don't think it was illegal or dangerous (looked slippery but nobody slipped at all on it). Anything I'm missing here?

CecilOne Tue Oct 11, 2016 05:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 991692)
This was a new one for me. I got to a game yesterday and home plate and the pitching plate had been recently spray painted bright white. It was still wet enough that I got some on my brush the first time I tried to get dirt off of it, and the footprints from hitting the plate, didn't go away. I don't think it was illegal or dangerous (looked slippery but nobody slipped at all on it). Anything I'm missing here?

Turpentine! :D :D

RKBUmp Tue Oct 11, 2016 05:58pm

Have seen it happen at several different fields over the years. Daughters juco team did it every game. They should just make sure to do it early enough the paint has dried before game time.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Oct 11, 2016 06:36pm

Quote:

Intelligent ground crew is what you are missing.

A couple years ago, a friend was working a DII game. As the pitcher was warming up at the top of the 1st, he steps in behind the catcher and the first pitch hits the plate.

Apparently, the ground crew has just painted the plate a half-hour or so before game time, but really slopped it on. Well, when the ball hit the plate, the paint splattered all over the catcher and my friend. He looked like someone just took an extremely wet paint brush and threw the paint at him. Pants, shoes, mask and a brand new jacket had white paint all over them. Obviously, he was not a happy camper. :)

Umpire@1 Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:52pm

Quote:

Pretty common practice in our area. See it all the time at HS, Juco and all levels of college.

Rich Ives Wed Oct 12, 2016 01:44pm

Quote:

Our local minor league does it every game. They even have a kid from the stands paint the pitcher's plate.