The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   New Mechanic? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/101518-new-mechanic.html)

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 28, 2016 08:28am

New Mechanic?

Watching a game (2-umpire, FP, but irrelevant) yesterday and saw BU do something that, to me, is a strange.

On a ball to the OF, BU came inside, looked down to see where he was standing and then took a couple steps over to be on the baseline. I was told by tournament UIC this is what is being taught at national schools. IMO, it isn't a smart mechanic. I don't know if this is mechanic which oversimplifies the umpire's readiness to be in position of a possible play on a throwback to 1st or someone more anal than myself mandating unnecessary movement for the sake of appearance.

Unless there is a throw coming from the area of 2B, planting oneself on the 1BL is counterproductive.

My initial thought was that if the ball is overthrown, mishandled or just missed when coming back to the infield, this umpire is not going to get to 2B in time to get a good position to make a possible call.

The positive of coming inside on balls to the outfield is not only to keep the elements in front of you, but to set up the umpire to move into position for subsequent plays.

Thoughts?

3afan Thu Jul 28, 2016 09:21am

It seems that ASA makes periodic mechanic changes just for change's sake ...

Dakota Thu Jul 28, 2016 09:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 989429)
Watching a game (2-umpire, FP, but irrelevant) yesterday and saw BU do something that, to me, is a strange.

On a ball to the OF, BU came inside, looked down to see where he was standing and then took a couple steps over to be on the baseline. I was told by tournament UIC this is what is being taught at national schools. IMO, it isn't a smart mechanic. I don't know if this is mechanic which oversimplifies the umpire's readiness to be in position of a possible play on a throwback to 1st or someone more anal than myself mandating unnecessary movement for the sake of appearance.

Unless there is a throw coming from the area of 2B, planting oneself on the 1BL is counterproductive.

My initial thought was that if the ball is overthrown, mishandled or just missed when coming back to the infield, this umpire is not going to get to 2B in time to get a good position to make a possible call.

The positive of coming inside on balls to the outfield is not only to keep the elements in front of you, but to set up the umpire to move into position for subsequent plays.

Thoughts?

My first thought was that this was a new umpire, since he was looking down to see exactly where his feet were.

The larger point, though, of teaching to come inside and then move to the 1BL... I don't see what the advantage of this would be at all, even for a possible throw to 1B. Maybe I'm not visualizing it correctly.

Third point... is it even possible to be more anal than you? ;)

CecilOne Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07am

Might be "ok" in 3 umpire as 2nd is covered, providing a perpendicular to the runner coming back. :confused: :rolleyes:

The " looked down to see where he was standing " does seem like new as Dakota said or overly self-conscious.

Wonder whether this was presented at umpire meeting?

CecilOne Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 989433)

In OKC ! :rolleyes:

IRISHMAFIA Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 989433)

As hard as it is to believe, and I question it myself, yes it is. :D

josephrt1 Thu Jul 28, 2016 07:42pm

In California ASA mechanics clinic about 3 or 4 years ago, for base ump starting along 1st base line and ball hit to OF, the instructors were teaching to come inside (traditional inside/outside mechanic) and position 10 ft inside the 2nd baseline and 10 ft off the 1st baseline. That is the 1st inside position. What you do next depends on the play. If the runner rounds 1st and continues to 2nd, you would run parallel to the runner taking them into 2nd base or beyond.
If the player rounded 1st and then had to scurry back on a back-pick, the umpire would move toward the 1st base line to get their calling position, just short of 1st base and 10-12 ft from the base/tag. I don't recall an instructor ever saying to automatically get to the 1st base line. It seems you do need to get inside (the 10/10 position seems pretty good) and then adjust based on where the runner/play takes you.
And of-course, when getting inside you have to be very aware of where the ball is, where the fielders are and avoid getting in the way.

IRISHMAFIA Fri Jul 29, 2016 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephrt1 (Post 989462)
In California ASA mechanics clinic about 3 or 4 years ago, for base ump starting along 1st base line and ball hit to OF, the instructors were teaching to come inside (traditional inside/outside mechanic) and position 10 ft inside the 2nd baseline and 10 ft off the 1st baseline. That is the 1st inside position. What you do next depends on the play. If the runner rounds 1st and continues to 2nd, you would run parallel to the runner taking them into 2nd base or beyond.
If the player rounded 1st and then had to scurry back on a back-pick, the umpire would move toward the 1st base line to get their calling position, just short of 1st base and 10-12 ft from the base/tag. I don't recall an instructor ever saying to automatically get to the 1st base line. It seems you do need to get inside (the 10/10 position seems pretty good) and then adjust based on where the runner/play takes you.
And of-course, when getting inside you have to be very aware of where the ball is, where the fielders are and avoid getting in the way.

I understand the need to cover a throw to 1B, but not all the way back to the line or to a specific location, but to where it is necessary to get a good looke at the play.

This may be nothing more than people misunderstanding a direction, much like those who think U1 should always be 45 degrees to the base on an attempt to retire a batter runner.

Thanks

Andy Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by josephrt1 (Post 989462)

This same discussion came up at the Tournament I was working this past week. A very well respected member of the ASA National Staff basically said this same thing. Make your button hook, don't automatically parallel the runner back to first base, but be ready to move where the play takes you.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Aug 02, 2016 08:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 989531)
This same discussion came up at the Tournament I was working this past week. A very well respected member of the ASA National Staff basically said this same thing. Make your button hook, don't automatically parallel the runner back to first base, but be ready to move where the play takes you.

Sometimes you have to wonder if it is the way it is being taught or the umpire just not listening to or misunderstanding the entire instruction.